Playing with music

Brother Eric
Site Admin

Playing with music

#1 Postby Brother Eric » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:07 pm

Recently I have been going through a large change in my life and have been working with some grief. Just being with the feelings of loss and sadness are important in the healing process. It is also a great opportunity to open the heart.

I found that I could use music in a way parallel to a teaching on dealing with pain. The teaching as I understand it is to link the pain we are feeling to that pain in other people and uplift it for them.

Here is how I translated it to music. I placed three songs in order. The first was a song that really helped me access the grief, a sad song that related very closely to how I was feeling at that time. The second song was one I interpreted to be a song about the fall, dark night of the soul, or dark mother. This felt to me like linking my personal pain to the greater pain in the process of growth and evolution that all peoples go through. The third song was a song of pure praise, one time I used a kirtan chant that was powerful for me another time a techno song about the state of being.

By the time I was listening to the third song the effect would be that the sadness empowered the joy and on the flip side the joy would empower greater acceptance of the sadness. The two feelings would flicker in and out of each other and felt very healing.

Now in this context I am contemplating "Blessed are those who mourn for they will be comforted." Attributed to Yesod perhaps one meaning is that an acceptance to be with all parts of our self is the foundation.

Shalom, and thank god for the music.

Eric

Phillip

#2 Postby Phillip » Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:43 pm

Shalom Eric!

Music has been a way to the Divine for a long time. Psalms weren't originally poems, but songs! So there is a powerful way that we engage our vital being with song and music.

Paul Foster Case includes an attribute of each of the paths on the Tree of Life to a note in "The Tarot". Check it out!

Phillip

Marion

#3 Postby Marion » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:04 pm

Shalom,
In my experience, acessing and dealing with emotions is very important to our well being on all levels. Music seems to acess that deeper emotional being in us. So this teqnique that you mention sounds very good. Also, as you mention, working with our pain etc... for the benefit of all who may be going through a similar thing is so important. It almost takes some of the burden off of our sholders, and gives us greater strength to face what we must face in life. We may also give praise to the Most High in our journey through hard times, for these are what gives us the drive for greater compassion twoards others.
I wish you well,

Blessings and Shalom
Marion

Return to “The Gnostic Path: Spiritual Life & Practice”