Hi everyone

Ervin

Hi everyone

#1 Postby Ervin » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:50 am

Hi everyone. I am a thirty nine year old male who lives in Melbourne, Australia.

I am new to this forum, and my knowledge of Gnosticism is limited. My understanding is that there are different forms of Gnosticism.

I have some knowledge of most of the popular world religions. Anyway, could someone please give me a brief information on this Sophian Gnostic faith? Like, how do you view Old Testament God? Who is the demiurge, who is Jesus, do you believe in reincarnation, and what’s the goal of practicing Gnosticism?

Thanks

Elder Gideon
Site Admin

Gnostic Revealer

#2 Postby Elder Gideon » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:34 am

Shalom Ervin:

Great to meet you! We welcome you to our community.

Sophian Tradition insists on a balance between heaven and earth, the inside and the outside. Our diverse companions cultivate both our material and spiritual life, as the embodiment of Divine Attributes fully requires both working together. We are active in the world with people while we keep a continuum of daily prayer and meditation and weekly meeting for Shabbat discourse and worship.

This heaven-earth balance is the essence of Judaism and why we privilege its scriptures, mystical writings, and cosmology over exoteric Christian traditions. We closely study the Old Testament to understand the so-called "New" testament. For us, they are one, continuous revelation of YHVH Elohim, whose subtleties are never to be equated with the Gnostic view of the Demiurge. As a mystical lineage of Christian Kabbalah, we affirm the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob and all the prophets as the One who speaks through Yeshua (Jesus) and to us today.

This isn't to say that there isn't the Demiurge--cosmic ignorance. This principle in Kabbalah is called Qlippot Nogah--"Glowing Husk" in the language of the Jewish prophets. Nogah represents the barrier separating our awareness from the One, namely, our ego. Gnostic traditions attributing this subtle barrier to the Demiurge are teaching of a False Light, what has come between the True Light and humanity, manifest as egotistical religion.

Gnostic traditions claim that this barrier would never allow unification and liberation in the True Light had there never been a Revealer. This view of Yeshua is very different and demands more than a belief in vicarious salvation. Instead, to enter into the same experience as Yeshua is preaching, the practitioner must find this True Light within and ever beyond for themselves. We may know the enlightenment of the Messiah here and now, in this life, if we're willing to go within, live from within, and open to the True Light above.

Like us, he was fully incarnate and needed initiation from a guide, whom we regard as John the Baptist. We trace their discipleship in former lives as Elisha and Elijah and Joshua and Moses, respectively. When the Spirit of Messiah entered Yeshua at the Sacred Jordan, he returns from the wilderness preaching a conscious return to the One; Malkut (Sovereignty) has come near: Enlightenment! All of the wonders and miracles, even the Resurrection, testify to a lucid dreamer entering our collective dream to awaken us in and even from the dream. This awakening, this enlightenment, is for us what Yeshua had come to accomplish.

So practicing this Gnostic Gospel path is more than faith in a kind of demigod-come-down. Instead, like any enlightenment tradition, we search for what we already possess but have forgotten by an example of a kind of elder sibling. We identify with Yeshua and Lady Mirya as ourselves ahead of ourselves. Our prayers, meditations, studies, and community life begin not in sin or lack, but the purity and fullness of the Presence of Awareness. To the degree with which we identify and align with this Indwelling Messiah, the Gnostic experience naturally unfolds as expanded states of consciousness, higher, intuitive awareness of and even unification with the One.

I pray that this very simple summary gives you something to support your journey.

To deepen your spiritual quest requires exploring, listening, and interacting with teachings and practices that resonate with you. If you've had a chance to peruse our website, you'll see spiritual practices to consider.

Our community meets face-to-face and in chatroom. Register here if you'd like to meet other practitioners in our lineage. 

Our Shabbat meetings are also broadcast in YouTube. Search Ecclesia Pistis Sophia and you'll see dozens of topics that are available. 

I hope these resources speak to you. If there's anything more we can offer, please reach out!

Elder Gideon

Ervin

Re: Hi everyone

#3 Postby Ervin » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:41 pm

Hi and thanks Elder G.

What I am getting is that you might be a Jewish mystics, or as called kabalists. Now, if that’s what you are is fine with me as I like knowledge of all traditions. If I am wrong, please do correct me, if that’s ok.
Are you with the Bible a bit like the Sufis are with the Quran?

I have had a look at one of the videos on YouTube and it’s very good. I actually ended up sharing it on my Facebook.

I am looking forward to your response.

Thanks

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

#4 Postby Tau Malachi » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:42 am

Shalom, and welcome!

Yes, indeed, we are something like Sufis with the Holy Koran in our way with the Bible, very much so, and our aim is much the same as the Sufi way. We are Christian mystics, Christian gnostics, teaching Christian Kabbalah, but we have strong roots in Judaic Kabbalah. You would also find that we actually do draw much inspiration from the Sufi way as well - the manifestation of the Gnostic Path to us is the 'One Faith, One Way,' within and behind the 'Three Branches,' Judaism, Christianity and Islam. Our aim is knowledge of God through direct experience of God, hence a path of actual Self-realization or Enlightenment.

In closing I should add that what we mean by the 'One Way' is within and behind all true religions, all authentic wisdom traditions of the world, not just three of them; though these three are our specific focus, and our lineage is a 'Christian' lineage.

Blessings to you!
Tau Malachi
Sophia Fellowship
Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

#5 Postby Tau Malachi » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:23 pm

Greetings again!

There is something more I wish to add to what Elder Gideon shared, something there wasn't time earlier to share.

First, you are correct Ervin, the term ‘Gnosticism’ covers a broad range of beliefs and schools of thought, some schools of thought holding quite opposite points of view on key mysteries. There are, indeed, schools of thought that teach that the god of the Old Testament is the demiurge, the ‘half-maker,’ schools that are very anti-Semitic. Then there are schools that do not, that hold a non-dual view, such as ours, and understand a progressive revelation of the One God, the True Light, the progression of revelation corresponding with an evolution in the collective consciousness of humanity, and so the prophets receiving it.

Concerning Yeshua, ‘Jesus,’ and the mystery of the Messiah. Gnostics differ significantly from mainstream Christianity regarding the Reality of the Messiah. When we speak of Adonai Yeshua, in our view the Messiah - the anointing with the Perfect Light and Spirit, is not isolate to him, nor is the embodiment of the One Soul, or fullness of the Divine Presence, but rather, to us he is the ‘Elder Brother,’ revealing the Way to us, and as such, we also are called to labor to embody the One Soul, or fullness of the Divine Presence, just as he did. Thus, the ‘salvation’ he teaches is a path to enlightenment and liberation - knowledge of God, or Divine Gnosis. Understanding this, so we are called to be and become Christ - to realize and embody the Christ-Self, or Christ or God Consciousness. However it might be phrased, from one school of Christian Gnosticism to another, this is understood as the message of Yeshua, the true intention and meaning of the Holy Gospel.

The meaning of the demiurge is really very simple, it’s the personification of universal ignorance, and the archons personify spiritual beings-forces caught up in that ignorance. It’s universal because all creatures, all living spirits and souls that arise in creation, suffer from this illusion of separation from the source of their being, the True Light. This plays a significant role in the scriptures of gnostics, and various teachings of gnostics, because the purpose of the Messiah, Christ, is understood as a ‘Gnostic Revealer,’ one who brings knowledge of God - Divine Gnosis, which dispels the ignorance, the illusion of separation, and so delivers souls from their bondage, from sorrow and suffering, or sin and death.

The cause of our bondage is not sin, but rather the ignorance, and the self-will, ego-grasping, desire and fear that give birth to sin, error, and that binds souls to potentially endless rounds of transmigration from one life to another. Therefore, through faith and knowledge we are ‘saved,’ and the fullness of knowledge comes from conscious union with the Holy One, the Divine Presence.

These were a few thoughts I was inclined to add concerning your original questions.

I wish you well in your journey.

Shalom Aleichem - peace be upon you!
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Ervin

#6 Postby Ervin » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:01 am

Hi and thanks Tau for a very colourful response.

I have a question for you and others and that is how do you see the Nag Hammadi scriptures?

Thanks

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

#7 Postby Tau Malachi » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:27 am

Blessings to you in the Holy Light of the Messiah!

Essentially we integrate scriptures from the Nag Hammadi and elsewhere into our teachings that resonate with our Gnostic experience, or express something of the experience of spiritual and supernal realization in our lineage, and the Divine Gnosis we’ve acquired through it. The sacred texts from the Valentinian tradition we find very useful, such as the Gospel of Philip and Gospel of Truth, and so on, along with the Gospel of St. Thomas, certain passages from the Acts of Thomas, certain passages from the Acts of John, as well as the first four books of Pistis Sophia. Also, the first, second and third Books of Enoch are referenced in our teachings.

Joined with these we also have our own oral traditions, sacred stories that we draw from, such as those I record in my book, "St. Mary Magdalene: The Gnostic Tradition of the Holy Bride", and those about Yohanan the Baptist I’ve recorded in the forums which will also be made into a book eventually.

We also study and contemplate the principle source works of the Holy Kabbalah: Sefer Yetzirah, Bahir and Zohar.

So we have many sources of inspiration and illumination along with the Torah and Gospel.

Concerning some of the basic views and teachings of our lineage there is a book I wrote years ago called “Living Gnosis” that is a good introduction to the Gnostic Path. It’s currently out of print but if you can find a used copy that might be of some help in gaining insight into the views and teachings of our Sophian Gnostic tradition.

Shalom Aleichem!
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Return to “Welcome, Introductions & General Questions”