Greetings From Charlotte NC: Sid Sowers

Sid Sowers

Greetings From Charlotte NC: Sid Sowers

#1 Postby Sid Sowers » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:27 am

Greetings Sophian Forum: I just joined the forum yesterday. I have been a solitary student of a few gnostic traditions for 25 years or so. I became interested in the real history of Christianity as a college student, and over time became convinced that a great con had been perpetrated on the western world by the state sanctioned orthodoxy. I became a history and political science prof. at a state community college, and continued my religious education on my own. Over the years I have closely studied a few Buddhist traditions and noticed there similarities with western gnosticism, and I've studies the old Neo-Platonic philosophy of the One, as well as the Hermetic writers. Over time, I have found that the most 'inspiring' traditions for me have been the Hermetic teachings as these are closely related to the gnostic scriptures, the early Christian Gnostics, and Buddhism. Effectively I've come to the conclusion that the classical era of the Roman Empire was a period of great religious innovation and fusion, and that the Gnostics were highly inspired writers, a school or classification of writers and mystics, that received true wisdom and light through the fusion of these ideas that prevailed in classical Rome. Obviously, over time, Christianity evolved into a more mainline and orthodox, state sanctioned religion, and as such, original insights had to be stamped out for doctrinal uniformity. At any rate these historical speculations have occupied a good bit of my time and my quest has largely been a private one. But I have been very impressed with the works of Tau Malachi and have had the chance to listen to his pod castes as well, and have finally heard a voice that has been able to cut through the historical fog as it were. To me, the original Gnostics were by definition religious innovators for their time, thus each generation MUST have its own religious texts, traditions, and teachers, that receive the real truth and interpret it in modern or current ways for their own generation. Anyway, I just wanted to take this opportunity to introduce myself to the forum, and I hope to have the chance to correspond with each of you in the near future. Sid S.
Sid Sowers

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Greetings and welcome!

#2 Postby Tau Malachi » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:52 am

Greetings friend, and welcome - it is good to see you here, and to have your present in our online community.

Thank you for your kind words. I look forward to your posts and the insights that you bring, and look forward to whatever exchange of sparks might transpire.

Peace be with you!
Tau Malachi
Sophia Fellowship
Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Yonah

#3 Postby Yonah » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:55 am

Greetings Sid!

I know we both were on the Sunday night Skype chat, but wanted to say Hi here, too.

Welcome!
Shalom, +Yonah
Shalom,
Yonah
EPS Columbus Gathering

Return to “Welcome, Introductions & General Questions”