''Mantra's ''

Dyon

''Mantra's ''

#1 Postby Dyon » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:57 pm

Hello al, first of I would like to express my gratitude, for the fact such a vast collection of guidance and wisdom is collected and made public on this forum and the webpage
It's already been a great aid for me, and im shure there is plenty more yet to come

However, since i've done Mantras for a while (mainly vedic mantras) I know that next to holding the corresponding essence in mind while chanting, also the Intonement and ''place of vibration'' can be significantly important if we want to gain full control over they'r corresponding effects
and to bring out all of their beneficial effects

Now in most Meditation techniques praticed in Gnosis, Intonement of divine names seem an important key.
Even though, for example in the book (Gnostic Healing) the divine names are explained on how they should sound

As example: Elohim El-Oh-Heem short E, long O, long E effect: gives sealing and enclosing on consciousness, creates a safe-haven

Ofcourse this amount of information will suffice.
but for example, Is it better to Intone this divine escence from the Throat upwards or downwards? or for example for the lower part of region in the stomach?
since there are many ways to Intone/chant mantra's

I was wondering, if it was possible for an Adapt in Gnosis to record his Intonement of the divine names and place it for example on the website
so we all can draw wisdom on the way how the divine names should be Intoned in complete respect and glory
Or please give some indept information about it

It's possible someone else already asked this and received an answer, or that I just missed the data :) in that case don't mind linking me to the corresponding area

In any case, Thanks Alot
''To expand virtue''

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Welcome

#2 Postby Tau Malachi » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:04 pm

Greetings and welcome! It is good to see you here.

Yes, we do intend to work on sharing some of the sacred chants via audio files on our website. Unfortunately I'm not able to take up the full range of traditional intonements anymore because of damage to my vocal cords from being in a vent last year in the ICU for eight weeks, but I'll be working with Elder Gideon to produce some, having him take up the chants.

There are chants of the tradition are shared by Gideon via our Skype discourses on Sunday evenings - at present that's where a selection of them is shared, joined with various topics of sacred discourse.

The art of intoning Names of God and sacred chants is very extensive in our lineage, and the "place" from which chants are intoned changes depending upon the intention and nature of the chant - the belly and throat are common centers from which we intone, though there are also others. Generally speaking, this art is communicated on an experiential level, in person - but we will be seeking to share what we can through recordings and the internet over time.

I wish you well dear friend, and will keep you in my prayers.

Peace be with you!
Tau Malachi
Sophia Fellowship
Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Dyon

mantra's

#3 Postby Dyon » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:55 am

Thanks alot for the reply, I had a subconsious hint that Chanting would be an important part and i'm glad i asked about it now :)

I know from the vedic perspective that some of their ancient mantra's must have a certain ''inner focus'' and ''direction'', because mantra's have the ability to vibrate, uplift and pierce through anything bringing evolution and their corresponding effects
In the veda's its even said that when mantras are focussed completly wrong it might even be harmfull (risk of creating disbalances)
Because the rishi's composed those mantras as an internal medicine

To be honest, I dont think Intoning the divine names of god will have negative effects when done wrong aslong as we hold the correct devotion and serenity at heart, but when done correct theyr effects certainly will become stronger, holy even
For Mantra's are the easyest way to transfer divine states of beying to others
as you said experience is the key here

I'll try to be there on the next Sunday discourse on skype
I'm glad we can draw wisdom from the internet these days :)
thanks, and I truly hope that your vocal cords may restore from chanting the divine names
Till then I'll be practicing :D

''May we all expand virtue towards others''
''To expand virtue''

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Chanting

#4 Postby Tau Malachi » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:25 am

Greetings and blessings in the light of the Messiah!

I must wholeheartedly agree with you, the power of a chant comes from our intention, our kavvanah-concentration and devekut-cleaving. While we have an extensive art of intonement in the tradition the idea is not that there is a "right" and "wrong" way, save perhaps in terms of the wrong intentions, but rather it's a teaching on how sound, voice, can be used to convey energy, light-power, and in a deeper worship, devotion.

As much as traditional chants that might be taught, so also is a creative art with chant - it's all about the theurgic, spiritual intention and the energy, light-power, we wish to generate, and so intoning to bring forth and convey that spiritual power.

More than anything, the power of a sacred chant is in devekut, inward cleaving and devotion - it is in the heart. And we may say, joined to this, it is a matter of our faith, and holy awe and wonder - when this is present, so also is the power of God, the True Light.

In my own case, it is simply a matter of learning the range of my new voice and how to use it, which will just take some time.

Shalom!
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

yanur

chanting and mantras

#5 Postby yanur » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:56 am

Shalom,

I just ordered a used copy of a book, A Gnostic Prayer Book: Collected Prayers, Mantras, and Meditations: Practical Techniques to Develop the Soul. I am glad to have come across this thread because I will be looking forward to learning some of the Sophian mantras and chants.

I have another question about chanting. I am a Sufi and I love chanting the 99 Names, within and out loud. This would be a method called zikr in my tradiiton and I am wondering if there is a similar practice in the Sophian tradition.

Thank you.

Love and Light,
Nur

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Names of God

#6 Postby Tau Malachi » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:53 am

Greetings and blessings in the light of the Messiah!

Aside from the principle Names of God corresponding with the Holy Sefirot or Divine Attributes of the Tree of Life, and their permutations, there are also 144 Names of God, 72 of Judgment and 72 of Mercy, along with their unifications that can be chanted. When familiar with them it is not uncommon for initiates to take up the practice of chanting these Holy Names as part of their daily prayer, that or as part of their prayers on Shabbat. This is similar to the practice in Sufi traditions with the 99 Names of Allah. There is a forum dedicated to basic teachings on these Holy Names. First, though, it is good to learn about the principle Names and some of the basic teachings of the Kabbalah, establishing a foundation for taking up practice with the 144 Names. On our website you will find a basic teaching on most of the principle Names, and likewise there are more detailed teachings of them in "Gnosis of the Cosmic Christ."

Peace be with you!
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Return to “Welcome, Introductions & General Questions”