Question about Gnostic message.

Andy Frieler

#1 Postby Andy Frieler » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:27 am

Hello all
For a number of years now, even before my discovery of the Gospel of Thomas, I have been jokingly explaining my view of the message of Christ by saying- Anything you want to know about religion, you can learn by watching "My Name is Earl", (a sitcom on TV). Should I stop and why?
Thank You
Andy

Anna

#2 Postby Anna » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:04 pm

Hello, Andy!

According to my understanding of this show, gleaned from my daughters, the main character is involved in the rectification of negative karma through the performance of good deeds. This is a good example of karmic vision and we certainly cannot escape unconscious rounds of rebirth through remaining subject to the law of karma.

Adonai Yeshua came to teach and show the Way to transcendence of the Law. He crucified the world's karma in his body on the cross and arose in the Body of the Ressurrection, transcending the law of sin and death, opening the Way to eternal life. And so, in the Blessed Name we have the hope of a "better resurrection" that we can experience in this life, praise God!

So, the way of orthodoxy, with its dogmas and creeds, does not liberate its followers from karma. Instead, it binds them to the law and the judgement, binds them to false ideas about God and Messiah.

In the Living Messiah, however, we are invited into gnosis, mystical experience of our true nature in Christ, transcendence of the karmic continuum.

As for what you should say or not say, that is up to you and how you want to represent your understanding of the mysteries.

May all beings be liberated in the Messiah of Light!
Shalom!
Anna

Andy Frieler

Question on Gnostic Message

#3 Postby Andy Frieler » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:18 am

Hello

Thank you for your reply to my question. I appreciate your open-mindedness to what would appear to many as a very unorthodox idea.

I use this example primarily for its shock value and its popular appeal. "Earl" is a very raunchy and irreverent look at todays society, the main characters all being trailer trash losers. Most people would consider it impossible for such a medium to contain gods wisdom.

In my opinion, even the suggestion that such low-lives can discover this wisdom makes it that much more possible for us "non-losers". I use this to point out that gods guidance can come from elsewhere than just our accepted texts. A few weeks ago, in discussing my views with the Jehovah witness members that grace my doorway periodically, I mentioned that I once found gods wisdom in a broadcast of the WWF. They simply chuckled in disbelief.

I would like to continue this conversation with any interested party. I would prefer one would actually have seen the show for a more objective opinion.

Thank You
Andy

malochim

My name is Earl

#4 Postby malochim » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:01 pm

Shalom Andy,

I've watched the show and I find it entertaining. First of all I think that most of the spiritual wisdom within the show is based on eastern philosophies but can also be applied to the more esoteric western traditions. It would seem that Earl is going through a life review, trying to as Sister Anna pointed out mend some of his bad karma and by doing so he and his brother also goes through a metanoia a radical transformation of consciousness. Often in the show both Randy and Earl take on the role of the fool or trickster.

If you like this show I would recommend reading the text Pistis Sophia and the contemplations on the text which are available on this forum.

Blessings,
Jonas
”Only love has meaning, it raises the smallest action into infinity.” , Saint Maria Faustina Kowalska

Andy Frieler

#5 Postby Andy Frieler » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:11 pm

Hi

Thank you all for your replies to my question. I am both impressed and refreshed with your open mindedness.

Andy

JeffK

Earl

#6 Postby JeffK » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:57 am

Hi Andy,

I have watch Earl a couple times and while I would agree with everyone here that it is attempting to display a small component of eastern beliefs, I have one problem with it. I just don't find the show funny. :D

To me the show always has more of a feel of mockery than insight.

:D

Andy Frieler

#7 Postby Andy Frieler » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:41 am

Hi Jeff

Thank you for your reply. The point you make is precisely the reason I brought the subject up in the first place. When searching for wisdom in this world, we must make sure that our sources are somewhat reliable. After all, if you think you're talking to god, you should at least try to make sure it is god you are talking to.

My point in using "Earl" as an example, is not to expand the vision of those that have already opened there minds, but to open the eyes of those who are secure in their orthodox faiths. So often, with their doctrines of right and wrong, good and evil, they forget that the true message of Jesus was on how you treat your fellowman.

Often, in the plot, the good deed that Earl plans is not what the recipient needs to get his life back together. Karma demands a different solution. This echos a message by Dr. M. Scott Peck in "The Road Less Traveled". In his book, Dr Peck says that love should compel someone to do the "right" thing. Not what you want, not what you think they want, but what is the best for that person. So, while the show may have it"s downfalls, I do defend it"s validity.

I invite all comments, positive or negative, on the subject.

Andy

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

sharing

#8 Postby Tau Malachi » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:36 pm

Greetings and blessings in the light of the Messiah!

Welcome to our online community brother.

I cannot say that I’m a fan of the show, “My Name is Earl,” but, like many people I do have my favorite shows and movies, and at times I do point at some of them to illustrate a spiritual insight or teaching. Why not? At times it is skillful means to communicate the truth intended, and likewise, at times it provokes a good chuckle, and there is a need for laughter here.

It seems to me, though, that communicating the Gospel of Truth it is all about skillful means in wisdom, and more so, following the inspiration of the Holy Spirit in the moment, loving and being fully present with those with whom we are communicating.

In terms of communicating something of the Gospel of Truth, though, this assumes direct experience of the Living Christ and Holy Spirit, for it is through direct experience that knowledge of the gospel is acquired – our enlightenment and liberation in Christ is founded upon this. Through direct experience, true love and faith are born, and as this love grows in us, indeed, there is a desire to share and give, and to intend and do what is good and true.

If this love is in us, the kingdom of heaven is in us, and when the kingdom of heaven is in us, we will see the kingdom of heaven around us – many different things will speak something of the Gospel of Truth to us.

Peace be with you!
Tau Malachi
Sophia Fellowship
Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Andy Frieler

#9 Postby Andy Frieler » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:56 am

Hello Tau

I would like to thank you for yuor reply to my question. I was both surprised and honored that you could take time to comment on my silly questions.
It is my intent to use this show as a introduction tool (Gnostics 101) for those who have no knowlege of the subject. In talking with those that have become comfortable with their orthodox faiths, more often than not when mentioning the word "Gnostic", I get the reply "Egnostic, I know what that means". It seems to be a hard reality for us to except that we are all responsible for things we do. It was and sometimes still is hard for
me.
I appreciate all the feedback I received on this subject. I hope it benefitted someone else out there as much as it did me.

Andy

AZ

NBC Wisdom

#10 Postby AZ » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:58 pm

I think it's a great question that speaks to the truth that we can find spirituality everywhere if we know how to look, even in something so mainstream as an NBC sitcom. Removing the ascetics from the discussion, ie, the specific jokes and writing, the particular actors or Earl's mustache, let's look at the basic premise.

'My Name is Earl' seems to be about a guy who goes around trying to do good for people. He seems to legitimately aspire to help others with no expectation of any sort of external reward. As have been mentioned previously in this thread, Earl's karmic motivations are slanted from an eastern religious perspective, perspectives that might be different than what yours or what mine are. With that in mind, Earl's actions seem to reflect love and understanding and with love and understanding, does it matter which path leads us there as long as it produces love and understanding? So if you believe that selfless action is an aspect of religion, then sure, call it a religious show.

I do disagree, however, with part of your posting that said: 'Anything you want to know about religion, you can learn by watching "My Name is Earl".'

Helping others as Earl does is certainly very important, but it's just part of the equation. There is more to the spiritual puzzle. Keep watching.

Andy Frieler

#11 Postby Andy Frieler » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:29 am

Hi AZ and everyone else

I am very pleased with all the interest I have recieved in this topic. I especially greatful for the feedback that points out the flaws in my logic, for how else will I learn.

The "everything you need to know" line is merely for shock value. It is intended to motivate those who are content in thier beliefs and opinions, to start asking questions. After all, if you ask no questions, you get no answers. I hope to provide a little light for those content to live in the darkness. To simplify Christ message into one sitcom was never my intention. As much as we all would like, we can never find all the answers in one place.

Thank You
Andy

Return to “Welcome, Introductions & General Questions”