New Here, Greetings!

Heavymetalgamer

New Here, Greetings!

#1 Postby Heavymetalgamer » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:19 am

Hello everyone, I'm new here and I have a growing interest in Gnosticism. I am a new Roman Catholic, I was baptized and confirmed during Easter Vigil this year. I was always curious about Gnosticism even before I was baptized, but now my interest seems to be coming back, I have the book the Nag Hammadi scriptures and have started reading it again, my goal is to read it cover to cover.

I have an understanding of biblical scripture as well, I have read all the New Testament and most of the Old Testament, not all but 80% of it, I stopped after reading prophet Isaiah. I have learned a lot of the Catholic view of the bible by listening to Our Father's Plan by Catholic scholar Scott Hanns, very interesting stuff indeed.

I feel the sudden urge to discover spiritual enlightenment though, to discover it's meaning, what it is and how to obtain it. I also feel called to join the Roman Catholic priesthood as well but it's something I'm not entirely sure about either. I don't know why I'm interested in Gnosticism, but it all very fascinating to me, I even purchased the book Living Gnosis by Tau Malachi. I guess I am on the quest for spiritual enlightenment, but why am I looking outside the Catholic Church? I understand that they consider Gnosticism a heresy, but I find it fascinating, and now I just can't stop reading, I wanna grab every book I can about Gnosticism.

A little about myself, I am just your average guy, I go to work part time at a Kroger grocery store, I play video games and listenin to music, mostly heavy metal as a hobby, I read to gain knowledge, a lot of my friends and co workers are kinda shocked at the books I tell them I read and they are like "why do you read the bible, or any of those other books? Why do you care about that stuff when you play video games and listen to heavy metal?" I tell them I prefer reading books that contain knowledge and when I want a good story I'll play a video game or watch a movie with some friends or something like that. I guess I'll just hang around and read the forums some, just thought I'd say hi and introduce myself. Have a great day and God bless!

Brother Brian

Re: New Here, Greetings!

#2 Postby Brother Brian » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:14 am

Shalom Heavymetalgamer! It sure is nice of you to stop by and introduce yourself! That urge you speak of brother is the spirit inside and all you have to do is follow that voice from within and not so much listen to those voices from the outside. I to love your music of choice! :D

Living Gnosis is the first book I read as well and the Holy Spirit revealed to me that I found my spiritual family. Mother Spirit will teach you whatever path you choose! Good to have you here and God bless you! Love your enthusiasm and excitement about Gnosticism! If you need anything dear brother please let us know!

Shalom
Brother Brian

Heavymetalgamer

#3 Postby Heavymetalgamer » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:07 am

Thank you Brother Brian for your reply :). I ordered the book Living Gnosis a couple days ago, I get it tomorrow, can't wait to dive into it and learn all it has to offer. So you like heavy metal? What are your fav bands? I'm particularly fond of the "Big 4" of thrash, I also dig power metal like Iron Maiden, Iced Earth, Blind Guardian and Hammerfall.

Brother Brian

#4 Postby Brother Brian » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:07 pm

Shalom Brother!

Yes I am very familiar with all those bands. Growed up listening to about all of them you mentioned. In my older days I am really appreciating all the different ways in which music can be heard and experienced and expressed! Once you recieved your book and read it please feel free to post some thoughts about it and let us know what you experienced during your studies with it. You may consider as well purchasing The Gnostic Gospel of St. Thomas, reading and contemplating one verse a day from St. Thomas and then reading Living Gnosis. I love the fact you stated you are a average guy! I as well am a blue collar worker and work very strange hours (shift-work) so I consider myself a average guy that has been blessed. I never did finish High School but Mother Spirit has been so good to me all these years! God bless you brother and you are in my heart and prayers as you search for your path!

Shalom,
Brother Brian

Heavymetalgamer

#5 Postby Heavymetalgamer » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:58 pm

I forgot to mention my real name, it's Nathan btw or Nathaniel for the full.

Yonah

#6 Postby Yonah » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:25 am

Greetings & Welcome!
Shalom,
Yonah
EPS Columbus Gathering

Heavymetalgamer

#7 Postby Heavymetalgamer » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:51 pm

Bishop Yonah wrote:Greetings & Welcome!

Thank you!! For the record, I received the book and read at least the first 20 pages of it so far.

BrandonLw

#8 Postby BrandonLw » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:47 pm

Greetings Nathan!

I can tell by your forum name (and band list) that we share similar interests! Keep us posted on how your progress with Living Gnosis moves along. As Brother Brian mentioned, this forum is a wonderful venue for questions and insights.

Brandon

TimZ

#9 Postby TimZ » Sat May 04, 2013 5:05 pm

Another gamer!!! I have been a long time gamer myself. CODs and BFs. PCs only. We also have Skype meetings too. Some great things to learn. Its a great group here.

Heavymetalgamer

#10 Postby Heavymetalgamer » Mon May 06, 2013 11:43 pm

TimZ wrote:Another gamer!!! I have been a long time gamer myself. CODs and BFs. PCs only. We also have Skype meetings too. Some great things to learn. Its a great group here.

I play on Xbox, but yea, Battlefield 3/Call of Duty franchise. Only game I play on pc is World of Warcraft. Thanks for the response!!

Heavymetalgamer

#11 Postby Heavymetalgamer » Mon May 06, 2013 11:45 pm

BrandonLw wrote:Greetings Nathan!

I can tell by your forum name (and band list) that we share similar interests! Keep us posted on how your progress with Living Gnosis moves along. As Brother Brian mentioned, this forum is a wonderful venue for questions and insights.

Brandon

Awesome, good to meet people here with similar interest. Thanks for the response!

Return to “Welcome, Introductions & General Questions”