Hello and Intro

tulcaryar

Hello and Intro

#1 Postby tulcaryar » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:33 pm

Shalom, everyone! This is my first time in this forum (and my first post in any forum for quite some time). I am a recent college grad, and have been on a path of seeking since my high school years, when I realized the great disparity between the teachings of the Christian churches that I was familiar with and the teachings of Lord Yeshua as recorded in the canonical gospels. My questions and concerns were never answered, and I began to feel as though the outer church had nothing to offer in terms of real spiritual truth.

This path led me away from mainstream Christianity to such varied traditions as Theravada Buddhism, Taoism, I Ching philosophy, Jungian psychology, Rosicrucianism, and others. I eventually discovered the Gnostic scriptures contained within the Nag Hammadi Library, and I knew I had discovered something big. I began researching Gnosticism, but for whatever reason, my search yielded no fruit. I turned to the western mystery tradition, in particular ritual magic, as what I saw to be the last surviving teachings of an ancient, supremely enlightened sect.

I still felt something missing, though, which I later discovered to be a real, intimate connection to Lord Yeshua that I used to feel in my prayer life as a Christian. I decided to try Gnosticism again, and I found some interesting websites with a great deal of theological revelations. Yet I desired practical guidance in the way of gnosis, as well as a community of like-minded seekers that I could be a part of. Most Gnostic websites I had researched were very bare; just a statement of who they were, where they were located, a brief overview of their beliefs, and, if I was lucky, selected readings or a bibliography. There were no Gnostic organizations of any kind geographically close to me.

Needless to say, I was excited to discover sophian.org, along with its detailed descriptions of Gnostic practice, articles of profound teaching, and of course, its forum. I am delighted to be registered here, and I look forward to tremendous insights and spiritual growth in my life as a result, as well any little way I may serve another on the path toward illumination.

Peace be with you all!

sheryl
Site Admin

Re: Hello and Intro

#2 Postby sheryl » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:30 pm

Shalom tulcaryar!

Welcome to our online community!

Each of us has had a diverse path leading to this point in time and space. Though there are quite a few of us who have come from a fundamental Christian background, or from the 'outer church', and so you are in good company. :) I very much resonate with what you have shared about having connected prior with Lord Yeshua. Devotion, or devekut, is very much a part of a Sophian's daily practice and living.

Though our lineage traces itself back to before the Nag Hammadi discovery, there is great resonance between our teachings, which until this generation had been solely oral, and some of the writings within this great library. It has been in this present generation that our teachings began to be written down, made available to a larger audience through this venue and through other books and writings, allowing a greater reach into the world, so that those living at a distance can make contact. Praise God!

While you are perusing through our writings, might I suggest that you consider joining us Tuesday evenings, if this interests you, in our chats with our Elders. It is a wonderful way to get a taste of the community behind the forum.

Here is a link to more information: http://www.sophian.org/chat_skype.html . It would be good to send a request to enter the chat room ahead of time, so that our administrator might add you to our roster, allowing you to gain admittance at chat time.

Also, on our Home Page, there is quite a bit of information on the Gnostic Path, including guidance on daily spiritual practicing. The path taught in our lineage is an intertwining of study and contemplation, meditation and spiritual practicing, and charitable living, both as individuals and as a community.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask them - general questions here on this thread, and specific questions on our teachings in the appropriate forum and thread.

May you be blessed in your seeking.

You are in my prayers.

Sheryl

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

#3 Postby Tau Malachi » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:24 am

Greetings, and welcome to our online community!

Thank you for introducing yourself, and for your kind words. It is good to see you here, and we hope our online community can be of benefit to you in your spiritual journey.

Many of the members of our community and initiates of our lineage have had a journey similar to yours, disappointment with teachings of mainstream churches, then a quest through various wisdom traditions and such, followed by a desire to return to their spiritual home in the Messiah, Yeshua, and with this their discovery of Gnostic Christianity, or Messianic Kabbalah. When many encounter the Gnostic Path and hear the teachings, often it confirms that faith they originally had in Christ and the Gospel, revealing the deep mysteries they had sensed or intuited in the very beginning. It becomes a healing and empowering experience.

We will keep you in our prayers, and wish you every success in your spiritual life and journey.

Aleichem Shalom!
Tau Malachi
Sophia Fellowship
Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

tulcaryar

#4 Postby tulcaryar » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:30 am

Thank you both sheryl and Tau Malachi for your encouraging words. I'll admit that the little bit I know about Kabbalah is very confusing to me, but I hope to learn more soon. I also would love to be apart of the online chat sessions, but my present working hours don't allow for it. Hopefully in the near future I will be able to take advantage of this resource. In the mean time, I hope that working through the foundational practices and foundational reading materials will give me a good, er, foundation, for further exploration of the Gnostic path. I pray that the spirit of the Risen Christ will continue to guide me on the path toward Truth.

Blessings and shalom, and thank you for your kind welcome :)

Yonah

#5 Postby Yonah » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:51 pm

Greetings!
Welcome to our community.

I'm happy you found us. There is much to explore and many friendly people to interact with.

Shalom, Yonah
Shalom,
Yonah
EPS Columbus Gathering

Return to “Welcome, Introductions & General Questions”