So were should I start?

L.Tamayo

So were should I start?

#1 Postby L.Tamayo » Sun May 22, 2016 10:18 pm

Peace everyone

As it often happens with me, once I get excited about about a passion of mine, I try to indulge in everything I can find, but I'm not sure were to start so I can have a good foundation.

So like what readings could I do to understand, the way gnostics view the world and/or the spiritual world? I know there are the dead sea scrolls and the forum has sections dedicated to other texts, but what would be a good guide to star with?

L.Tamayo

Re: So were should I start?

#2 Postby L.Tamayo » Mon May 23, 2016 12:12 pm

Today I thought of some follow up questions, if someone could answer them or direct me to a thread were this has already been discussed.

So in christian gnosticism how does it differ from mainstream christianity in

How is god percieved or imagined?
Is there original sin?
Who is or what is jesus christ for yall?
How does yalls idea of heaven and hell differ from other Christians
How does the whole sophia, demidurge, and christ relationship work?

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

#3 Postby Tau Malachi » Tue May 24, 2016 9:51 am

Greetings and welcome to our online community!

First I'd suggest reading "Living Gnosis." It is an introduction to Gnostic Christianity, and specifically our Gnostic tradition, that will address many of these initial questions that are arising as you encounter our linage and tradition; for the most part all of the questions you've asked addressed in that book. Joined with that, through Google Search you can search our forums to finds topics that address some of the questions that are arising for you, most subjects like these have been discussed a number of times in the forums. As questions arise that aren't addressed in this way, or there is a need for clarification, please post one question at a time, spaced out over time, so that we can address your questions better. Too many questions do not facilitate a deeper, more thoughtful response and discussion that might bring understanding but will tend to keep responses brief and on the surface because there is not time to go into detailed response with many questions asked all at once. So, it's good to slow down and take your time as you ask questions, and it's important to start reading some of our teachings on your own, seeking your own answers from what's already been written, and then ask questions for clarification on points that do not seem clear to you in the corresponding thread.

There are a couple of other books I've written I think you might also enjoy: "The Gnostic Gospel of Thomas" and "St. Mary Magdalene: The Gnostic Tradition of the Holy Bride." I'd suggest "Living Gnosis" first, though, because it will address the questions your asking.

Ultimately, the Gnostic Path is about knowledge acquired through direct spiritual and mystical experience, and therefore our focus is on the spiritual life and spiritual practice. As you begin to read our teachings, perhaps consider taking up some of the beginning spiritual practices we share, such as those on our website.

You will be in my heart and prayers sister.

Shalom Aleichem!
Tau Malachi
Sophia Fellowship
Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

sheryl
Site Admin

#4 Postby sheryl » Tue May 24, 2016 6:53 pm

Shalom L.Tamayo!

Welcome to our online community!

I look forward to exploring the lineage's teachings with you.

May you be blessed in your journey.

Sheryl

L.Tamayo

#5 Postby L.Tamayo » Thu May 26, 2016 8:16 am

Thank you sheryl and tau malachi! I havent posted much more but thats because im busy exploring all the threads already here :)

Return to “Welcome, Introductions & General Questions”