Rite of Self-Initiation: Chrism of the Bride

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Rite of Self-Initiation: Chrism of the Bride

#1 Postby Tau Malachi » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:39 pm

The Rite of Self-Initiation: Chrism of the Bride

When you have built your basic shrine of the Divine Mother and Holy Bride, and have acquired your prayer beads and prayer shawl, you are ready to purify and consecrate your shrine, and ready for the rite of self-initiation into the Order of St. Mary Magdalene. In the Sophian lineage, if a person has received the outer form of the initiation into the lineage and then performs this rite of self-initiation, taking up the Path of the Holy Bride, they are considered an “initiate of the Order”; if a person has not received the outer form of initiation into the lineage, but they perform this sacred rite, they are considered an “honorary initiate of the Order” until such time as they receive the outer form of initiation into the Sophian Gnostic lineage.

The fruition of Divine Gnosis in any of the Holy Orders is the reception and integration of the inner form of initiation into the lineage – the actual experience of the Gnostic and Light Transmission; the adept is one who can receive and impart it, the master is one who has brought it to fruition in non-dual realization, embodying the Supernal Shekinah of Messiah. (This is the ultimate aim of initiates of the Order of St. Mary Magdalene, as with all the Holy Orders within the Sophian Gnostic lineage.) In this you may understand the distinction of the initiate, adept and master in the Holy Orders and in the Tradition. There are no outward degrees of initiation in the Sophian Tradition, save in the case of the recognition/ordination of lineage-holders; but rather, all degrees of initiation are inward, representing cycles in the unfolding of Self-realization in Christ (an evolution to Supernal or Messianic Consciousness).

The full moon is considered the ideal time to perform this sacred rite, preferably after the moon has risen in the evening, when the astral tide is the most potent and tangible. At the outset make sure your shrine is clean and well ordered, and make sure you have a vial of spikenard or rose oil and a cup of fresh water in the shrine, and place your prayer beads in the shrine and your prayer shawl nearby; place your seat, whether a chair or some cushion on the floor, and light a candle in the shrine, but do not light any incense. Then go and take a ritual bath or shower with the intention of cleansing yourself physically, psychically and spiritually, and put on fresh clothing – perhaps special clothing for this holy occasion. (Remember, you are entering into communion with the Priestess-Queen of the Divine Order, so quite naturally you might wish to dress up.)

Having done this you are ready to begin the rite of self-initiation.

The Sacred Rite

If there are more candles to be lit, light them, and also kindle some incense – a blend of frankincense, myrrh and rose is most traditional among initiates of the Order, but any pleasing fragrance will do just fine, all as seems good to you.

Go and sit before the holy shrine and allow yourself to settle and center within; then gaze upon the holy shrine, as though resting your mind upon it – contemplate the Divine Mother and Holy Bride. (Perhaps as you do this you might want to play some inspirational music, but following this part you would want to turn off the music.)

If the water in your cup has not been blessed previously, stand and take up the cup (or bowl) in your hands and pray to the Divine Mother that she might pour out her Life and Spirit into the water, and that it should be blessed and holy in the name of Yeshua Messiah and Kallah Messiah – putting the cup down, trace a cross over it and visualize a cross of golden light as you do, envisioning the cross dissolving and pouring into the cup, charging the water within it with divine energy. (You could also ask a Gnostic elder or priest/ess to bless the water before the rite if you wish – it is a common way of seeking a special blessing from a tzaddik of the lineage. Even when and elder or priest/ess blesses something for you, however, it is traditional to also bless it yourself, for all Gnostics have a priestly function, whether or not they have the call to recognition/ordination and the outward service of a lineage-holder.)

If the oil in your vial has not been blessed previously, take the vial into your hands and pray to the Holy Bride that she might pour out her fiery light into the oil and make it holy – as you do this envision the fiery light of the Shekinah of Messiah flowing with, in and through you, and out of your hands into the vial and oil within it. Then place the vial back in the shrine, knowing it contains the holy oil of chrism-anointing. (You could also ask an elder or priest/ess to bless your oil before the rite, if you wish, just as with the water.)

Now, take up the cup of water again, and baptize every object in the shrine, sprinkling everything lightly with the water, saying, “Be purified and baptized by the Living Waters of our Holy Mother – Her Spirit and Her Truth.” (Or using words to this effect, all as you are inspired.)

Then, take up the vial of holy oil, and anoint every object in the shrine, touching each object and saying, “Be consecrated and anointed in the name of the Holy Mother and Bride, filled with Her Light and Love, awakened in the Risen Messiah; amen.” (Or with words to the effect – as objects are anointed, envision them self-radiant with a brilliant aura of rainbow light.)

(Make sure your prayer beads are baptized and anointed also, and pray a special prayer when you do that they are a holy sign of your communion with Kallah Messiah, the Anointed Bride.)

If you have not consecrated your prayer shawl, once the shrine is baptized and anointed, purified and consecrated, sprinkle your shawl with holy water and anoint it as well – taking it up, pray that it becomes as the Tent of Meeting, the Mantle of the Holy Bride, and pray that the Shekinah of Messiah weaves it of her Light and Fire, so that wearing it the Holy Shekinah might come to rest upon you, and move with, in and through you, and manifest as you. Pray that no shades or shadows might draw near when you abide in this Holy Sanctuary of Her Presence, but that you might be filled with the Divine Light, Healing Power and Peace of the Risen Christ, the Pure Joy of the Holy Bride. (Envision what you have spoken comes to pass.)

Once it is consecrated, put on the prayer shawl and pray that the Holy Bride takes you under her Mantle.

Now sit and abide, wrapped in your prayer shawl, as in the intimate embrace of the Holy Bride, and gaze upon the holy shrine, alive with her presence and power – feel her presence and power with you, within and all around you.

Then, envision a translucent image of Our Lady before you, as though the holy shrine is within her subtle body of light – she appears with an inner robe of white brilliance and an outer robe of crimson red, with a shawl over her head and rainbow glory all about her. She holds an alabaster jar filled with the power of her chrism and she smiles upon you, as she begins to turn in place, dancing before you – her feet not on the ground.

As you envision her, pray to her and commune with her, all as your heart inspires, and envision her glory growing brighter and brighter, as she shines upon you, blessing you and answering your prayers. Offer up your mind, heart and life to her, and speak of your love for her – offering yourself to her as a holy disciple and vessel, and pray that she indwells you, even as the Living Yeshua indwells you. Then take up her essential chant: Kallah Messiah.

When you conclude the chant, answering your prayer, see her pour out the contents of her jar over your head, and envision brilliant white light, sparkling with rainbow hues, pouring into you and over you – feeling her Perfect Delight filling you, as she takes you up in her Divine Rapture. Then see her extend her Holy Mantle, embracing you, and see her step into you and dissolve into you, your very own body having become her Light and Fire, and your aura radiant with her Rainbow Glory.

Receiving her blessing, anoint yourself with holy oil on your brow, your heart, your hands and feet – as a sign of your dedication to her, in remembrance of the bond of Divine Love that joins you and her, and all beings, in the Mystical Body of the Risen Messiah.

Once you have anointed yourself, take up her chant again and put on the necklace of prayer beads, saying, “I am yours and you are mine – listen and hear, you who have ears, you are hers and she is yours; let us abide in her Holy Company. Amen.”

With this the rite is sealed and complete, though you might be inclined to dance, or perhaps to sit in communion with her – all as you are inspired. When you are finished, give praise and thanks to the Divine Mother and Holy Bride, and pray that her blessings and grace goes forth to all her children, to all peoples, to all beings.

(Perhaps you might wish to play some inspirational music at the conclusion if it was used in the opening.)

This is one version of the rite of self-initiation into the Order of St. Mary Magdalene, but it is certainly not the only way to accomplish this self-initiation; based upon this you could very well create your own sacred ritual, using the keys provided in this version taught to aspirants – the key is the purification and consecration of your shrine, prayer beads and prayer shawl, and the dedication of yourself to the Gnostic Path of the Holy Bride – your anointing as a devotee of St. Mirya of Magdala. Quite naturally, this could be done any number of ways, though what I’ve shared here is a method that is said to have been taught by Tau Miriam – one Mother Sarah spoke to me in Tau Miriam’s name when I inquired into the Order of St. Mary Magdalene.

Generally speaking, in Sophian practice there is much room for adaptation and creative inspiration, unless specific instructions are given otherwise by one’s tzaddik.

May all who seek to be received by the Holy Bride be received by her – and so may she be received; amen and amen.

Blessings & shalom!
Tau Malachi
Sophia Fellowship
Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

sabathiel

#2 Postby sabathiel » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:54 am

Dear Tau Malachi,
I have performed the self initiation ritual of the Bride today. I felt drawn to her, she is my inspiration. I never knew of this Order before, but when I red your book and texts on this forum, I became drawn to her very much.
I do not understand actually what is the relation with other orders in Sophian way: if you belong to one does it exclude the others?I am doing healing work apart form my work in theatre, so I have taken up some practices from the order of st. Raphael. Does it work that way, or I should decide and keep to one Order?
And if it is possible I would ask for your blessing which you mentioned in the text ( you wrote that lineage holders can give blessing for taking up the practices in the Order of St. Mary Magdalene, otherwise there is no formal initiation). I hope you can give it at distance.
Can one compare the Vayrajogini, or Yeshe Kandro practices from tibetan buddhism with the practices of this order? :D
In the World, but not of it.

Elder Gideon
Site Admin

The Orders

#3 Postby Elder Gideon » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:22 am

Shalom Sabathiel:

It delightful that you have begun a journey formally with St. Mary Magdalene; may She bless you from within to without and fulfill your inmost heart's desires.

There are two responses to your questions. The Orders throughout our lineage are each distinct vehicles of recognizing and realizing the Living Christ--Logos and Sophia--within and as one's unique individuality. For all are called to the journey with very unique capacities and experiences. In fact, the Gospel of Truth, a Gnostic gospel from the Nag Hammadi Library, goes so far as to say that our uniqueness, our call of faith within us, "comes from the Father as means of returning to Him." Amen! How beautiful! The depth and integrity with which we engage our call to the spiritual life and practice is and will be our realization of this call.

To any called to healing arts, as yourself: Raphael; to any called to guardianship: Michael; to any called to dreamwork: Gabriel; to any called to wonderworking: Uriel; to any called to assistance of the dead: Lazarus; to any called to wisdom: Tzafkiel; to any called to visionary creativity: Haniel; and to any called to the Divine and Sacred Feminine: Magdalene. Any one or more of these work together, for they all overlap in the Living Christ, being distinct explorations for distinct calls.

As to the second question regarding empowerment for your entrance into the Order St. Mary Magdalene, please see your PM inbox, for I've responded there.

Shalom my friend, and welcome!

Elder Gideon+

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Orders

#4 Postby Tau Malachi » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:55 pm

Greetings and blessings in the Light of the Messiah!

Yes, indeed, the Holy Orders overlap, and in truth they form an integral weave of teachings and practices. On one hand, each Order is a vehicle of self-realization in Christ, in and of itself; on the other hand, they are expressions of a larger vehicle for Supernal Realization.

They are also ways that we group teachings and practices so that they may be easily found, for the Divine and sacred feminine, for healing and working with the dying and the dead, from dream and prophecy, for wonderworking, for the way of the spiritual warrior and sage of wisdom, or the sacred artist, and so on – all of the Orders have their theme and focus.

At times initiates may have a certain focus among the Orders, focusing on one or two, but more often initiates will draw from various Orders as they have need in their journey – all are the expression of one and the same light transmission and spiritual realization, and all are the expression of one and the same lineage.

If you take up the practices of healing from the Order of St. Rafael, then eventually you will want to look at the practices assisting the dying and dead from the Order of St. Lazarus, for all healing does not occur in one of these bodies, but often it occurs when the soul departs the body, hence healing beyond the body.

May you sojourn in the company of the Holy Bride, the Shekinah of the Messiah. Amen.

Blessings & shalom!
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

sabathiel

#5 Postby sabathiel » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:53 pm

Shalom!
Indeed I do not feel the confusion now, but only joy. As impatient as I am I would like to have it all at once as a boy in a candy shop. I felt that my Lady in red invites me to her and she would lead me on my ways, instructing me what to do first. that is the reason I took the selfinitiation ritual.
I am in Reiki healing for years, now in homeopathy, which naturally lead to Order of St. Rafael. Since I earn my living as an actor, working in theater, I guess in some moment I will seek for St. Haniel`s teachings. Deep within I commune with Yeshua and Divine Mother, now with the Bride as well, so I decided to do self initiation in the Order of St. Mary Magdalene. I feel I am blessed again, after a long period of some gray spiritual mist in my life.
I was in a search of a Christian order with spiritual practices and universal knowledge on mind, soul and body that I found in Buddist and Hindy orders. At the begining of my search, I was initiated in an informal christian order that developed from a Theosophical group in my country. The teachings we received were similar to what I find here, but not so developed and universal. I went to Buddists, but my heart stayed with Yeshua and his Mother. I had been led by a sacred feminine priniple which I recognised as Divine Mother, or Vayrayogini in Vajrayana tradition. She revealed herself to me now as a Holy Bride, Mary Magdalene. I see it finally as the Holly Bride, and I am giving myself to her. My search is over after more than 20 years, and 46 years of my earthly life. Shalom, thank you Tau Malachi and Elder Gideon for your help. My you be blessed by Our Lady in Red for your work for the people.
In the World, but not of it.

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Vajrayogini, Shekinah of the Messiah, the Bride

#6 Postby Tau Malachi » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:16 am

Greetings - I forgot to mention that, indeed, our view of the Holy Bride is distinctly parallel to Vajrayogini, the Holy Shekinah being understood in much the same way as the principle of Dakini in Vajrayana. When we contemplate the sacred marriage between Yeshua and Mirya it is much the same as Padma and Yeshe, as though the same light transmission assuming a different form, in a different point in space-time. This is reflected in the practice of the Red Maiden, for example, in the Order of St. Mary Magdalene.

Interestingly enough, our lineage as it appears today comes from a woman master, Tau Miriam, who transformed the lineage, its teachings and practices, in her generation following an experience of Supernal Realization. Those around her, who knew her as companions, disciples, distinctly viewed her as a ray or emanation of the Holy Bride because of her realization and teachings. The body of teachings, of course, has continued to develop and evolve since that time, based upon the spiritual realization of those who have come after her. Thus, from the view of initiates in our tradition, the Holy Bride touched down in our lineage, and the light transmission within it flows from her, an emanation of her presence and power, the Shekinah of the Messiah.

Shalom!
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Josephine

Re: Rite of Self-Initiation: Chrism of the Bride

#7 Postby Josephine » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:08 pm

I'm unsure if this the proper place to make this request, but hello!

I had the pleasure of discovering that July's Full Moon occurred on my natal Sun. With that knowledge, I dedicated myself to creating my first Magdalene shrine, and on the Full Moon performed the Rite of Self-Initiation. My decision to perform this dedication came at the end of almost 2 years of spiritual disorientation and turmoil. Only through the writings and teachings of Tau Malachi's books and this forum was I able to begin piecing together my spiritual journey and lived experiences. I've always been "pro Jesus" :-) and having asked as a much younger person for the gift of Wisdom, I can finally understand why I am also "pro Sophia" and the work of the Magdalene.

As I have no access to an in-person Sophian Gnostic circle, I wonder if one of the online elders would bless my dedication. My next step is to request mentorship.

Bless you, Tau Malachi and all here for the life saving gift of this online community.

Josephine

Elder Sarah
Site Admin

#8 Postby Elder Sarah » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:58 pm

Shalom Josephine,

Your words stir my heart in a deep appreciation for the guidance of the Most High and the dance of the Holy Shekinah who moves with such a profound, mysterious, knowledge of right timing. Clearly the Holy Bride has touched you in a most important transition, bringing a new beginning to your Spiritual journey, a new awakening to the remembrance that dwells in your Soul Being. It feels to me that the taking up the Rite of Self-Initiation in the Order of St. Mary Magdalene is filled with the presence of the Holy Bride and Her nurturing ways of guidance. Praise God!

May the Holy One bless you and keep you in the Name of Kallah Messiah, the Holy Bride who guides and protects, who empowers and uplifts, who sees you as you are in God and draws the truth of your being into all that you do. The Holy Bride sees and knows you, Dear Sister, may you walk in this awareness on fire with passion for the dance and song of the Beloved. May your dedication be established in the Light of the Messiah, taken up by God Most High. Amen and Amen

You are in heart and prayers Dear Sister, Please feel free to reach out as you sojourn in this way of the Holy Bride.

In Gratitude and Thanksgiving delighting in the ways of the Holy Bride,

Elder Sarah

BobKoenig

#9 Postby BobKoenig » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:19 am

So, even in self initiation, we become part with Her? How beautiful!

I'd love to find some good decor of the Magdalene. Most you find is Mother Mary. I suppose one could always paint her cloak in red?

also seek a good pray shawl.

Under her mantle...

BobKoenig

#10 Postby BobKoenig » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:25 am

what is amazing with your initiation rites is the saying of ""I am yours and you are mine"

when I had a vision of Her before me, she handed me the cup and said I was hers. Beautiful!!!

Thank you forever, Tau!

To the lady forever!

Return to “Order of St. Mary Magdalene: The Gnostic Path of the Bride”