...and I did not know

BrandonLw

...and I did not know

#1 Postby BrandonLw » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:05 pm

God was in this place, and I, I did not know…

On Saturday morning in the gradual dawn I stood on Wilshire Boulevard in downtown Los Angeles. I left my hotel to walk: it would be a long conference ahead and I wanted some exercise, and some perspective. After some walking in the lonely hours (in LA, the homeless pitch tents on the walkways) I chose to lean on the rail and meditate above the freeway. The freeway was (as one would think for LA) already rushing with wind and purpose. It felt good to stand above it, maybe wrathful.

I felt foreign and strange in a new city and its imposing buildings. Is it Babylon? Is it Rome? So I reclined on the rail for a time. The sun crept on, traffic built, rushing headlong under (and with its currents, through).

Time passed this way. God is tall buildings, God is fast cars, God is scary. God is rolling hills, God is slowly encroaching light, God is asphalt and tarmac and glass panes. *swoosh, swoosh, swoosh*

When I looked to my right (after a time) there sat a gold statue of the Buddha sitting on the street corner (Wilshire and Beaudry). Predominantly placed, not hidden, I just didn’t see it until then. I didn’t see it but it was there all the while.

This had an effect. I had thought I needed to watch for enlightened nature, I hadn’t considered that it might be watching me, sitting just to the right, right past the place where vision reaches the edge of its conical scan. A statue is a statue, nothing more, but these things can have an effect in consciousness given the right circumstances. Seeing the statue didn’t resolve the “just out of sight” feeling, it deepened it.

What if the day of the Lord is, “…like a thief in the night.”? If one doesn’t see the thief in the night, the thief is still there, watching, waiting, seeing, knowing what one does and how, and why. I suppose I thought my blind spots, those angles just behind the ears and beyond, were the minority of my vision experience. I suppose a thief would know better than to assume that is true. What if the enlightened nature walks a highway of blindspots, dances in an abyss of unseen, revels in small flirtations with a peering-eyed people glimpsing a world through pinholes. God is big, God is mysterious, God is lovely. We will see God, but not yet face to face… and live. God is merciful, and may be dancing right behind you.

:wink:

Shalom.

Martina

Re: ...and I did not know

#2 Postby Martina » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:43 am

Shalom Brother!

What a delightful story. When I walk through Berlin sometimes I have similar thoughts, doubting that God is here. But as you say, if we have eyes to see God is everywhere. The blind spot does not seem to be in the place we are in but in our mind.

Blessings,
Martina
Martina

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

#3 Postby Tau Malachi » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:04 pm

A beautiful contemplation...

Blessings,
Malachi

Yonah