Scents, Stones and Sacred Herbs?

A Sanctuary of the Order of St. Uriel
Jeff

Scents, Stones and Sacred Herbs?

#1 Postby Jeff » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:12 pm

Greetings in Light,

Perhaps this a good place for this posting. I have an interst in using various forms of inscense, herbs and oils when doing workings and for meditation. There are books and lists on the internet that give the attributes of herbs and oils but what I am curious about is if the Sophian Tradition has and uses its own blends of inscense and oils corresponding to the various energies of the Tree of Life and elemental energies such as oils attributed to specific Archangels, or stones to use for certain meditations and such. Going over the Candle Magic post in the St. Uriel forum the use of sacred oil was mentioned. Does the tradtion have oil/inscense recipes that may be shared? If so that would be great.

Blessings and Shalom!
Jeff

Elder Sarah
Site Admin

Plant and Stone People

#2 Postby Elder Sarah » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:46 pm

Greetings Jeff,

As you know the study of Kabbalah is vast and therefore all the possible attributes are many. I know that within the Tradition we use different incenses according to the sort of working we are intending. I am not familiar enough to list the correspondences, although it does seem when I have witnessed certain incense being used on particular occasions, usually the fragrance matches in a vibrational manner to the type of work being accomplished. For example, in a more gentle, peaceful ceremony one might use Rose Cross while in a ceremony with a little more action or movement one might be inclined to use something a little more fiery like a copal or Frankincense and Myrrh. It seems if you look into the attributes of the plant person itself this will tell you. For example, Rose comes from a gentle flower (well its plant is not so gentle) while Copal or Myrrh is a resin from a tree which tends to be more fiery in nature.

The way working with Herbs and their attributes is similar to what is stated above. Look into the plant itself, talk to the plant, and it will tell you its resonance’s and attributes. When finding the resonance’s one can then apply them to known attributes with in the Tree of Life and or elemental forces. For example, Chamomile has to do with sleep and therefore dream and therefore we could say this herb is connected Yesod and the direction west.

There is much wisdom in plant people and if we are willing to listen and hear they will reveal themselves. Look for example at how our ancient brothers and sisters learned attributes of plants. It was not that they lined up the tribe to test a certain herb to see what it would do, no, instead somehow they learned to commune with the plant people and they in turn told them how they could be used. Of course it is wise to take what has been revealed, the knowledge and understanding of those who have gone before, and continue to expand this knowledge. In this way looking up attributes from different sources and cross referencing, and then combining this research with natural communion with the plant person has become a way I have enjoyed this study.

There are two main uses of oils in the Tradition I have witnessed. This is Rose oil, which is used for Anointing and Spikenard, which I have seen, used for the feet, this becomes a sort of Anointing as well as revealed in the Gospel with Magdalene’s use of Spikenard. I am sure there are many other oils and many other uses, but again these things are revealed by the Mother Spirit in due season.

As far as stone people go, again this is a matter of feeling the stone and drawing connections, although we can also look to meditation practices here for a little more insight. Look for example how often in practices the image of Crystal is mentioned. If we look into the practice and its attributes we can find attributes of the stone. Stone people also reveal much in their color. For example an Amethyst would connect to Keter, while Citrine would be connected to Tiferet, while Obsidian would be connected to Malchut. In this way the study of Stone people becomes vast, as again, there are many!

May we are open the Mother Spirit in this communion and dance with the plant and stone people!

Many Blessings and Shalom!
Sister Sarah+

Marion

#3 Postby Marion » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:32 am

Shalom Sister Sarah and Jeff!

A few things have been shared regarding the use of sacred oils, incenses etc... that I think might be helpful here.

With regards to oils and incenses, you can tell a lot by the smell. For example, cedar, sage and eucalyptus are all purifying incenses, and they all have a very refreshing sent. Also mints as well, they are cooling and purifying, like water. Tobacco is an incense attributed to Gevurah, and it has a very firey sent, very spicy. Therefore, I would guess that Chillie peppers and cinnamon have similar attributes.

There is a book that I remember reading awhile ago that has incenses for each of the sephirot I think it is "the Mystical Quabbalah" by Dion fortune. Her explanations of the sephirot are a little odd, but she does give some valuble attributes in the beginning of each chapter. Also probably looking at books that explain herbal healing remedies would be useful.

Going off of what Sarah was saying with the color of stones and the Sephirot, this is also true for the interrior stars. For example, citrine would correspond to the solar plexus, and Lapis Lazuli would correspond to the brow star. There are also some good books out there on the attributes of stone people as well.

What I have found is that studying the Kabbalah and the various attributes of plants etc... gives us the tools that we need to be open and sensitive to the communication of the Mother Spirit through these things. A good lesson in active and dynamic surrender!

Blessings and Shalom

Marion

Return to “Earth Sophia: Stones, Plants & Animal People”