Musical Instruments as Magical Weapons

Phillip

Musical Instruments as Magical Weapons

#1 Postby Phillip » Thu May 15, 2014 8:43 am

1 Samuel 16:23 “Whenever the spirit from God came on Saul, David would take up his lyre and play. Then relief would come to Saul; he would feel better, and the evil spirit would leave him.”

I am only a beginner in playing two string instruments, but learning to play them has been a wonderful experience, and I am entranced by string instruments and by learning to play music in general. There are many energetic experiences that music seems to convey, especially when playing. The experience in meditation of a kind of “energy bubble” around oneself an in the environment, especially when chanting out loud seems much the same as when playing a song.

Recently, I came home after there was a shooting in my community. Police were all over, and the neighbors where excited and shouting to one another and there was a general ruckus around. I didn’t want to engage, or know too much about what happened after finding out that people were responding to such a klippotic event.

Rather than meditate, I opted to play some songs I knew fairly well, some soothing songs, and to open my windows and sliding glass door. I wanted to respond energetically to the situation, but meditation felt too focused on my own energy, and I wanted to work with energy more overtly within the environment and as directly as possible, but chanting divine names would simply be weird, and get the wrong energy in response, and sitting on by balcony over-looking the drama unfolding in meditation didn’t feel overt and direct enough.

So I played. In a very short time, I noticed that the drama mongers simply cleared out. The police waited at their posts for the CSI to arrive and seemed more calm and settled. As a Templar, I couldn’t help but notice the potency of the instruments as magical weapons. Their power and ability to so directly and forcefully push an energy movement onto an environment is striking, and the general social acceptability of stringed instruments allowed for the energy movements to enter seamlessly into consciousness without much resistance. Imagine if I were as good with my instrument as others are!

I also experimented later with different songs at different times of day. Some songs appear to have energetic links to different times of day. One song in particular taught me this, as when played at night, with the windows open (something about outdoors cultivates the full energetic effect), there was an energetic experience that was quite profound and potent. The night itself seemed to shimmer after playing a couple rounds of the song. When played in the afternoon or morning, it is a pleasant song, but nothing like when played past a certain time of night.

So as I learn to play, I am fascinated with the work with instruments as a work with magical weapons, as David appears to have been using his harp with Saul, and as a vehicle of prophecy as the prophets of old appear to being using the harp and musical instruments.

How might other mystics who are musicians chime in about their mystical work with music? How have your mystical explorations been influenced by your musical studies?

Shalom!
Phillip

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Re: Musical Instruments as Magical Weapons

#2 Postby Tau Malachi » Thu May 15, 2014 11:04 am

Greetings and blessings in the Holy Light of the Messiah!

I cannot speak as a musician, per se, though as a boy I did play the guitar, and at times, I did play at sacred events of Tau Elijah’s circle, and likewise voice, song and chant, has played a significant role in prayer, meditation and ceremony for me over the years, and I can play a “mean” rattle when the Living Presence moves and inspires it, and I often enjoy chant with a rattle in prayer.

First, I cannot help but consider the simplicity of primordial meditation with sound-vibration, merging the mind with sound, becoming the sound-vibration, resting the mind in the silence within and behind, its own intrinsic nature. In the midst of a creative expression of sound, whether voice or other musical instrument, I find a distinct experience of repose and movement in this, a deep and profound peace, or satisfaction, coupled with immense joy, or bliss – true enjoyment. In some way, in the midst of such movements, the I-thought, or sense of self, vanishes, and there is only the song or music flowing from the universe, or from the Spirit of God, and there are profound experiences of nearness to God, and at times unification with the universal and God – it is a powerful way of cleaving, devekut.

The affects upon others in the environment can also be profound, not just from the sound, though, but from the influxes of spiritual powers that moves through it, and the Living Presence manifesting as it. Through devotional song and music the soul is elevated, consciousness expands, and we merge with spiritual powers, and sound-vibration and energy radiate into the environment, that space, and may have a powerful influence on others, uplifting them with us.

Concerning David and Saul, consider this. Saul, apparently, often suffered from severe depression and anxiety, and as we know, the Holy Shekinah cannot rest upon a depressed person. Thus, Saul would call upon the boy, David, who was a musician and mystic – one who would be anointed as a prophet, and eventually as king; David would come with an elevated soul, the Shekinah resting upon him, and cleaving to the Shekinah and Yahweh, David would play, dispelling the depression, elevating Saul, and the Holy Shekinah would return to Saul. As we know, we join ourselves with spiritual forces corresponding with our thoughts and emotions, and the words and actions that flow from them, whether divine, archonic or demonic forces. In the midst of negativity, so we become joined with negative spiritual forces, archonic and demonic. Song and music that is devotional, or positive and uplifting, has an incredible power to help shift thought and emotion, in effect invoking divine spiritual forces and banishing archonic and demonic forces as it transforms our mind and heart, our thoughts and emotion, shifting them to what is good and true. As has I’ve explained, though, when with song and music there is cleaving to God, or to the Sefirot and Yahweh, along with the sound itself there is an energetic transmission and influence, and therefore the song and music can have an even more powerful affect on those who listen and hear it.

Here we may remember a very common term for groups or orders of angels, “choirs,” and we may remember what is said of the worship of the angels in heaven before the Throne of Glory, that they worship in the exterior and interior presence (Shekinah) with song, chant, music and dance, giving praise and thanks to the Holy One, rejoicing in the presence of the One God. If the angels worship in heaven in this way, then what shall we do? If we worship as the angels in heaven worship, with song, chant, music and dance, then surely something of the blessings of heaven will be in our worship, and heaven will be moved by our worship, and the angels of God will join in our worship, praying with us, giving praise and thanks with us, and rejoicing with us in the Holy Shekinah, the presence of the Most High (Elyon).

There is something heavenly in devotional, or positive and uplifting song, music and dance, and in some way, when taken up by it, our soul reaches into the heavens and the heavens reach out to us, pouring out blessings and inspirations upon us. This becomes very obvious in our experience when the Spirit moves, takes us up, and we experience periods of an inspired, creative flow in voice, music and dance; there is a very distinct Divine Presence and Power in it, as though it “comes from above” or from “deep within the soul.”

Once upon a time I could sing like the angels, but now it is more like a squawking crow; but nevertheless, it is all about conscious intention and cleaving, and the energy within and behind, so that even squawking can be taken up by the Spirit of God, the Living Presence, and be divine. Praise God!

When there is a conscious intention and cleaving, song, music and dance become divine – a great power for good.

There is something to be said of musical instruments as prayer weapons. First, of course, if this is our intention we will consecrate them with that intention, and invoke the blessing of God upon the instrument, offering it to the service of the kingdom of heaven and God. Then, taking it up and using it in this way, so it will become the vehicle of all of the spiritual forces channeled and communicated through it, and over some time it may hold much power, residual energy of the many spiritual powers that have been directed and moved through it in worship, in prayer, meditation and ceremony; hence, it can become a very powerful prayer weapon that, if it were passed to someone for them to use, might communicate inspiration and power, just as with other prayer weapons that are well seasoned through many spiritual works.

As an example, I have a rattle that I’ve used in prayer and ceremony since the early eighties – it is an enduring rattle that has outlasted every other, and it has been part of many great convocations and such. I’ve been told that when given to other initiates to play in ceremony that spiritual power passes to them and it has lasting affects, all as the Spirit of God gifts to them when they use it. This can be true of any musical instrument that becomes seasoned as a prayer weapon with time and experience. In a manner of speaking, the angel and spirit of sacred objects grows and increases over time.

These were some thoughts I was inclined to share, given your observation and contemplation dear brother.

Shalom Aleichem!
Tau Malachi
Sophia Fellowship
Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Phillip

#3 Postby Phillip » Thu May 15, 2014 1:23 pm

Shalom and Thank you!

I didn’t mean to exclude with my invitation specifically to musicians. I’m only a beginner on mandolin and guitar, myself. I wondered in my invitation how many accomplished musicians have had mystical experiences in the practice of their art, and don’t imagine that their experiences are mystical because they didn’t happen through formal “meditation” practices.

A friend of mine who is an accomplished musician has said about his musical practice that, “magical coincidences and psychic events seem to happen more when I practice regularly.” How interesting! It appears that for this person, practicing his instrument is a meditation practice. This has been my experience as well, but I practiced meditation for some time before practicing a musical instrument, and I wonder how common these experiences are for people practicing a musical instrument. So the keys you give about linking the technology of spiritual practice to the art of musical practice are invaluable, thank you!

I also would not limit my invitation to traditional music or musical instruments. The rattle is, indeed, an interesting instrument, and I had some very interesting experiences at the last ceremony playing Elder Gideon’s rattle. Since these experiences are accessible to a beginner on mandolin and guitar such as myself, they must be accessible in any play of sound. I am also skeptical about quality of sound necessarily determining quality of energy. I also squawk like a crow when I sing, and always have… I don’t have the excuse of a traumatic event! But in the play of transmitting energy do such things matter? It appears not! Perhaps more refined vehicles of sound can transmit more refined subtleties of energy, when linking a refined spiritual awareness to a refined musicality, a work I can aspire to, and was also curious about.

You answered a question I had within and behind this also, the notion of sound itself as a kind of vehicle, and patterns themselves seem to be a container for diverse qualities of energy. Certainly, just as there are containers more suited to certain liquids, there are certainly songs/sounds/chants/rhythms more suited to certain energies, but yet I wondered how diverse the quality of energy invested can be in each vessel. I am hearing that linking intention, prayer and a good heart to be key to the quality/nature of the energy invested.

Shalom!
Phillip

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

#4 Postby Tau Malachi » Sun May 18, 2014 8:40 am

Grace and peace to you in Hayyah Yeshua!

When we pray and meditate, and worship, and we take up chant, song and music, our conscious intention and faith is everything, and the play of kavvanah and devekut through sound-vibration. This opens us to the Holy Shekinah and Holy Spirit, and moves light-power or energy with, in and through us and the sound-vibration generated, and it may be that the Shekinah transforms and uplifts the sounds, and brings special beauty and power into them. As we know, at times in sacred ceremony voice or music can be taken up by the Spirit of God and something can happen that we did not expect, something more than we can ordinarily produce according to our natural ability or talents.

There is, of course, a difference between individual prayer, meditation and worship through chant, song and music and leading prayer, meditation and worship in assembly with chant, song and music. If and when we are seeking to communicate light-power or energy to others, and seeking to help inspire and uplift others, greater quality and beauty of the sound offering, much like the visual environment, can be very beneficial, naturally so. The more people are able to open their hearts and minds to the sound, the chant, song or music, and enjoy it and merge with it, the more receptive they may become to the light-power of energy communicated through it. Thus, there is a place and role for quality and beauty with voice and other musical instruments when we are working with others; hence, when we are interacting with karmic vision and physical senses in this world. In our own prayers, meditations and worship this does not matter so much, but in assembly, when we are seeking to inspire and uplift others, it does. So there are times when our abilities and talents, and the extent to which we have cultivated them, take on a greater significance.

This is why musicians tend to practice with voice and instruments, cultivating their abilities and talents, their skills, and becoming well acquainted with their capacity, so that when playing with and for others, their offering might inspire and uplift, and bring some enjoyment to others.

Unless we happen to be a very talented professional musician, though, our aim and way with chant, song and music is very different, for performing for others is not our central focus, but rather our main focus is one of faith and devotion, and sound, music, as a vehicle of kavvanah and devekut, and an offering to God.

In terms of gifted worship, the issue isn’t really how we sound with our voice or instrument, or how we look with our gestures and dance, its all about the play of faith and devotion, the expression of devekut-cleaving, and the experience of higher vital and mental states of consciousness, and self-transcendence, that may come during gifted worship when we open to the Spirit, cultivate joy and uplift ourselves in the Spirit, and let the Spirit of God take us up as we cleave to God.

I believe we have had some delightful experiential examples of this during gifted worship in circle, such as recently during the Feast of the Holy Bride when the Spirit was moving in assembly in a powerful way, generating much joy among us.

These were a few thoughts I was inclined to add.

May we take joy in the Queen of Shabbat this day, and savor her good company!

Shabbat Shalom!
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Anna

#5 Postby Anna » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:26 am

Blessings in the Gift of Messiah!

Dear Brothers, what a delightful contemplation. I have felt eager to join in but life has kept me busy and so I have been blessed with more time for contemplation and experience of this wonderful gift of musical prayer and worship.

The Feast of the Holy Bride filled me with awe at the beauty and wonder of gifted worship. The weave of melody and chant, rising and falling, shifting in its tonalities and textures, uplifted me in the moment but also continues to inspire creative worship in my prayer life. I find myself naturally singing many prayers and playing as a child in the mother's lap with a broad palette of range and textures of song and chant, and also with instruments.

I, too, am finding that the power in worship with instruments and voice lies in the intention and in cleaving to God. In this way, while I might set out with an idea of what instruments I might work with in worship, I may find that, in the moment, there is inspiration not to pick any of them up but simply chant or sing, or both. Or, I may find myself going from native flute to rattle to silence.

As a multi-instrumentalist I have many colors and textures available to me but even with one or two instruments, there are many possibilities for shifting sounds according to inspiration in prayer. As you pointed out in another thread, Brother Phillip, scales and modes offer further vehicles for expression in worship. We can see this in sacred musical traditions around the world with such a variety of scales and modes and harmonies that are very different from our western musical aesthetic.

It is amazing what can happen in worship, for though I might have practiced and gained certain skills, it is not at all unusual to experience a surpassing of technical skills in movements of worship. I recall one particular movement with native flute where a long continuous melody poured out of the instrument without being interrupted by having to take a breath.

Another delightful discovery for me is the incredible capacity for improvisation that is often gifted in musical worship, in such variety and depth of expression. Praise God! I am so grateful for these blessings being poured out and pray that many beings are uplifted through our worship in Spirit and in Truth!

Shalom!
Anna

Return to “The Order of St. Haniel: The Way of the Sacred Artist”