The Way of the Sacred Artist in Sophian Gnosticism

Marion

#1 Postby Marion » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:16 pm

Shalom!

Sacred art has a very specific purpose in Mystical Traditions that is very different from contemporary forms of creativity today. The creative person in any genre has a responsibility in the world, with everything that the artist creates they must ask themselves, “what sorts of thoughts and emotions am I inspiring in the minds and hearts of human beings?” are those thoughts good and true, or are they dark and distorted? The sacred artist has a very specific task; for Sacred art may be said to be a vehicle through which a practitioner may be aided in achieving higher states of consciousness. So that, with the right intention, the piece of art may be a material manifestation of Divine energy. Therefore, before beginning a piece of sacred art the practitioner must have a pure intention of what they are to create, in this, and any endeavor, ones intention is everything, they may pray to the Holy One to purify their intentions, so that ideally all selfish desires are cleared, and one is creating for the sake of the upliftment of all humanity. Once the intention has been set, and dedicated to the Holy One, one may wish to begin a continuum of practice related to the image that one is to create. If it is an image of John the Baptist, then one would take up a continuum of practice of John the Baptist, dedicating this continuum to the Holy One as well, for practices are vehicles of the light transmission, and are therefore Sacred and Holy.
It is also good to treat the space in which one is to be working as sacred space. One may view it the same as ones meditation space. Therefore, it is good to keep the space relatively clean, and perhaps have some sort of an altar nearby if one feels inclined. The beginning of the creation of a sacred item, is a most holy thing, therefore one may wish to purify oneself in some way, either by taking a ritual purification bath, or by some other means, praying that oneself be a pure and holy vehicle for the Shekinah to move through. Once the space is set up and oneself is purified, a person may begin preparing for the sacred item they are about to make, stretching the canvas, preparing the board, the clay etc… as one prepares one may hold the beginning of the meditation in mind of the corresponding Partzuf or Angel, or one may abide in primordial meditation, all the while inviting the Shekinah of the Messiah, and Tzaddikim and Maggidim (Holy Saints and Angels) to aide one in this sacred task. If one sees that the mind is veering to other thoughts, merely remember the meditation and restore the mind back to its place, in this way all is redeemed. Imagine light pouring out of oneself into the sacred object, and from this object all beings being blessed.
Once the preparation is done, when one is beginning to create the sacred object, holding the corresponding meditation in the mind is good throughout the creation of the sacred item. For certain things one may inscribe chants and prayers on the back. Also for certain things like ceramics and paintings, one may consecrate an essential oil such as rose and add a few drops to the paint or clay, mixing it thourally, while visualizing the paint or other medium as pure light. One may a do this with any medium, as one works; visualize the material as pure light, radiant and Holy. When one is finished with the sacred item, give thanks and praise to the Holy One of Being. Then one may consecrate the sacred item, and thus fully awaken its energy. Although it may be said that if meditates with full Kavanah and devekut, the sacred item will be consecrated already. One may also ask for a blessing from ones Tzaddik if one feels this is appropriate.
This description may sound elaborate, however, these are merely a few ideas for artist practitioners to use. One may make it as elaborate or simple as one wishes, the main thing is to have a good heart, in what one is doing. Also, if one wishes one may also simply visualize light in the item that one is creating, and it will be good.

I would love to hear the insights and experiences of others so please feel free to share! :-)

May we be blessed to invite the Shekinah of the Messiah in all that we do! Amen.

Marion

sophia-suzette

#2 Postby sophia-suzette » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:02 pm

Greetings Marion

Many thanks for sharing this contemplation. The sacred process that you have described, I can see being applied to any “work” that we do in this world, no matter how humble. How wonderful it would be if all dedicated their labour with such beautiful spiritual intention. Then even the most menial of acts that we have to perform would become a spiritual practice. Scrubbing a floor could then become a practice of purification. As you mention about adding essential oils in the basic materials, so one could add oils to the water one uses for cleaning the floor, and say a prayer of purification before initiating the act. If we practiced with all we do what you suggest, what a beautiful continuum of the spiritual practice life would be. Each moment would become a moment of awareness, a reflection of our inner journey.

In gratitude and love,
Sophia

Renee

#3 Postby Renee » Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:45 am

na
Last edited by Renee on Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sophia-suzette

#4 Postby sophia-suzette » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:56 am

Greetings Renee!

I agree with you. Why not in public? Perhaps if more did incorporate the spiritual in public, it would not be something to be ashamed of - politically incorrect -so to say.

Some thoughts;

In the Brahminism, it is said women were made an instrument of art, a medium for expressing the divine through the beauty of her attitudes and gestures. Originally called the devadasi, or sacred dancer. It was said that in ancient times this dancer revealed to the many the same ideas and sentiments that poetry evoked. There is a legend of the god Krishna instructing the shepherdesses in the sacred dances; that is , teaching them to express in rhythmic movement the grandeur of the gods and heroes. They interpreted feeling rather than passion, thought rather than action. It was not an imitative art, but rather an art of the expression and exaltation of an inner world. She was the mediator between heaven and earth, between gods and men. Hence the name of devadasi, which means "servant of the gods."

So much there is that we seem to forgotten.

Sophia

Marion

#5 Postby Marion » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:11 am

Shalom!

These are some lovely contemplations.
Yes, what the artist may eventually glean is that every moment in life, in its essence is a sacred communioun with God, the Holy One of Being. Nothing is separate from the Holy One, indeed, the Light Realm is everwithin, and ever beyond creatures and creation. You are both very right in that we should not separate what we do in any activity from the spiritual life and practice.

In fact, there is a practice in the tradition, of turning on music and dancing to it. Oneself Dancing with the Shekinah, in and through her. The dance being a vehicle of worship. So, anything may be a vehicle for worship, or prayer and meditation. We merely need the eyes to see the Holy One in our every day experience! How wonderful!

Essentially in the creative process, the person (in whatever vehicle they choose) is a channel for the Holy One, so that the energy of the partzuf etc... may move with, in and through the person.

Art is all about creating an experience in consciousness, whether that be through Music, Painting, Dance, Sports, Martial Arts, etc... Therefor, anything may be a vehicle for experience. It all has to do with the intension behind it. What kind of energy is being put into it?

Many Blessings,

Marion

musicalhair

#6 Postby musicalhair » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:13 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm juming in late in this discussion, but I just joined this forum and I'm a guitarist-- so I figure this is a good place to post.

I love a lot of the ideas I read in this thread and in this whole section of the forum. Some are things I thought about, some are new to me, some flew right over my head.

Someone mentoined Brahminism above, and I like that idea. I think that when we perceive artistic beauty in music or in any visual or performance art, that there is some kind of recognition with some aspect of the Divine that is being acknowledged. That is to say when we see beauty we are seeing some thing that reminds us of some aspect of the Divine, or that we recognize the Divine inspiration.

I also wanted to throw-out the idea that when we hear it said that "all art is political", it is equally that all art is spiritual even if it is "dark" or misguided or confused. I think artistic pursuits are spiritual in their nature and even things like "death-metal" might be simply expressing immaturity or frustration with where the artist is or what they see around them.

Anyway, I just wanted to throw those ideas out and post something while I read up in the forum and learn more about Gnosticism-- as I have only recently stumbled into it.

Marion

artistic responsibility

#7 Postby Marion » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:56 pm

Shalom Musicalhair,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas!
Yes indeed, it does seem that all art is spiritual, even if the person is not nessesarily intending that. people are naturally creative beings. There is a teaching in the tradition that the human one reflectcts the image of the Holy One (God) being the image and likeness of the Holy One. Therefore, in creating, the Human being is acting as a reflection of the Holy One, who created the universe. Quite a facinating mystery! I feel very strongly that all artists have a responsibility to humanity, to create things that invoke light into the person viewing or listening to the work. And when the word responsibility is used, it isn't meant as a huge weight over the shoulders, more like a sibiling has the responsibility to look after their brothers and sisters, and if there is love, this may be done in joy. The artist may invoke all kinds of emotions from the viewer, and it is the artists responsibility to be clear and conscious of what we are invoking.
What a beautiful and magical play, creativity is!

I pray that we might seek to be the image and likeness of the Human One in all that we do! Amen.

Blessings,
Marion

musicalhair

#8 Postby musicalhair » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:09 pm

Hi Maid Marion,

I think I see the "duty" of the artist maybe as much as a compulsion or a need as a responsibility. I think society sells itself short by segmenting artists to entertainment or stress reduction, an artistic take on a political matter is as important as any other and helps complete the experience of the issue for people I think. It helps us to see past what we think we know and to experience new aspects of things.

So many artists I know are so conflicted inside and so busy working out their own issues and spirtual path, that I think-- when they're honest in their art and they have the technical skills needed to really be the artist they're trying to be-- their art can a source of inspiration for others on their own paths. That might appear to make more sense that it probably does :oops: .

vicki milnark

#9 Postby vicki milnark » Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:47 pm

Greetings Maid Marion and Fellow Artists,

Using intention in art is a wonderful practice. Thank you for reminding me of this. I am an art therapist by trade and new in Sophian circles for about a year. I have studied Kabbalah, however, for many. In contemplating Netzach, our source of creative imagination in the study of Kabbalah, we may begin to see how art can be also a source of revelation.
It can reveal what forces are present within us. Therefore, I agree with the idea that all art is sacred art, in that it creates light, it brings to light unconscious patterns, thinking and feelings. It is like a flashlight into the soul.
As a person is maturing spiritually, the art at first may be dark. If you read the biography of Paul Cezanne, for example, his initial paintings were called his "dark period." Deemed a revolutionary, Cezanne used many blacks and images of violence in his first works, which were refused from galleries he solicited. Somehow, however, he pushed through depression with art's sacred healing power, and he became a major influence during the impressionistic period.
Many other artists painted perhaps not so spiritually intended imagery. Chagall's paintings, for intstance, were not all about the light of beauty. His Flaxed Ox is a bloody and shocking image. Frieda Kahlo, a Mexican surrealist painter, also depicts herself nude and mangled on a bed in her 1935 painting, "A Few Small Nips," perhaps completed after she found her spouse having an affair with her sister.
In my own experience of painting my dreams and writing poetry to contemplate the dreams, I also saw myself in this process. It is like the painting allows the soul to start shedding the husks. Emotions and then thoughts become purified and the art will document the shift. Thus the inner world moves to the outer. With spiritual practice and reflection, the images then can transform our inner world.
Further, the art may spontaneously reveal spritual entities, divine names and partzufim, or personnifications of Our Lady, St. Mary. I am at awe of the mystery of the images and how I may read about them years later almost as if the images were messengers.
I am wondering if others have had this experience with dance, music and other art forms.

Blessings,

Vicki

Elder Gideon
Site Admin

#10 Postby Elder Gideon » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:18 pm

Greetings Vicki!

It is a delight to interact with other visual and performing artists drawn to a Sophian way. :D Indeed, there are messages in an inspiration which will be unfolded only in the engagement of their manifestation. This has been my experience over and over, most unforgettably in the icon of the Feast of the Crucifixion and Resurrection (Spring Equinox). Long before it was every focused in my heart and imagination, I often felt this strange lack, which said inside me What business have I even attempting to depict the Risen Savior when I've had no direct experience of this Presence? How convincing these delusions of lack sometimes feel.

Weeks into the process of this image, its manifestation invoked a flow of Grace into my life where, when I least expected, my very first waking experience of the Risen Savior spontaneously enveloped me. No longer was the phrase "Light Presence" a concept I'd so often read, but a gnosis I could and can literally recall anywhere and anytime with a simple, heartfelt intention.

The creative process in this intention can invoke the very subject of its contemplation. My life completely changed in a very intimate way with the conception, gestation and birthing of the Book of the Sun, a cycle of Feast icons of the solar high days we celebrate in the Sophian way. I feel like the proud parent of 'octuplets', precisely for what they invoked into my life.

As the intention of ancient artists and performers of the Sacred was also an invocation of insight and direct experience for the people, we too can trust and proceed in faith that the Holy One will acquaint us in our creative process even into today.

May the people and the land be blessed by the influx of the True Light passing through all who cleave in creativity!

Blessings and Shalom!

Brother Michael+

Marion

#11 Postby Marion » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:41 am

Shalom!

I was just reflecting on this subject the other day. It feels like every painting that I have ever done is like a being, or a gate that you are lead through, to an experience. So that the person who goes in,is not the person who comes out. It is like the being of the piece bekons you to manifest it so that it can show you something. I think this has to do with invoking a flow of divine grace so that something may be revealed. I think ever painting I have ever done in a sacred manner, I have gone in with all of these questions, fears and insecurities, and somehow through the process they were answered. Like the seven paintings of the seven faces of the Bride taught me that these seven faces, maiden to crone, dark to light are not seven separate faces but seven aspects of one face, steming from the same root. And the painting of the Red Maiden showed me how to engadge in art in a truly sacred way, not just with sacred subject matter. And that practice does not always mean sitting down and meditating, it also could be sitting down and piking up a paintbrush, if done in a sacred manner. Painting also teaches me a lot about the mysteries, because you are depicting some mystery in the teachings, Mysteries and contemplations that you would never normaly think about come up and are revealed. I have also had this experience with making a short film about the meeting of Issac and Rebekah, and also a love song between God and the Shekinah, and writing music for Psalm 69 I don't usually work this way creativly, so That is why I havn't had more experience with it, But I am sure that someone who does would probably have some very interesting insights. I have also found that using art to reveal things in oneself is a wonderful practice, having recently gone through a very difficult time I found it extremely benificial to just draw what I was feeling, by the suggestion of a very good friend. At first I was adverse to the idea, but then I started doing it. Sometimes even if I thought things were not going on, when I drew them i could see what kind of thoughts were beneath the surface. And then I could work with it. It seems like art, as well as bringing vision to the people, also brings vision to ourselves.

Many Blessings and Shalom!

Marion

thingypsythief

Holy Spirit Rock and Roll!

#12 Postby thingypsythief » Wed May 13, 2009 4:13 pm

I have been looking around on this forum for a couple months and the wealth seems inexhaustible! I recently read Tau Malachi's thoughs on Devekkut in the Netzach section of Gnosis of the Cosmic Christ and I was thrilled! I am a musican and songwriter playing in a band in L.A. and I think my deepest desire would be to produce music that would inspire devekkut in a listener. Or really my deepest desire is for the Holy Spirit to accomplish that through me! I am going to post my myspace on here and I hope that is allowed so people can check out my music. I am not great at expressing myself through writing, I do much better with music... If you listen to my music it may seem strange and abstract to you at first but it is meant to be that which seems incomplete yet does not decay. As Picasso said: "The Hidden Harmony is better than the Obvious!"

http://myspace.com/craneycrow

Praise to the Lord Most High for creating us and giving us the gift of being centers of creative power!
it's a light that finds the truth in fiction and harmonizes the contradiction

cgrauke

Hello all

#13 Postby cgrauke » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:48 pm

I am glad to see the discussions here on the different aspects of art and creativity related to gnostic spirituality. I have recently been much more engaged in illustrating my spiritual memoirs which brings this topic close to home for me. The integration and connecting points between what I have developed mostly by myself and the sophian gnostic christian kabalistic approach is something I look forward to understanding better and refining over time.

I think that our oneness with the Creator makes us all creative as an intrinsic aspect of our being. I really enjoy allowing creativity to flow through me and the more I have an intention that is moved into the sacred spaces due to my intentions as Marion has said, the more I feel a high level of satisfaction about what I do.

If anyone is interested, I have most of my art at:

http://cgrauke.redbubble.com/

Except for a few exceptions that I thought made good stand-alone art, my illustrations have yet to be available and will not until I am ready to start posting the memoirs themselves.

Thanks for having this site here and for the positive and profound interactions with a lot of investment that are displayed by the administrator/monitors here. That speaks a lot to me. I look forward to future conversations.

Clyde

Elder Gideon
Site Admin

#14 Postby Elder Gideon » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:08 am

Shalom Clyde:

Your work is exciting. I can feel many influences from history and yourself working together in each of the visions. In Kabbalah, reality is eloquently described in gradations of restrictions. When I consider the creative process, which for you sometimes begins with photography, a constriction is at play: from the moment beyond the camera to the light-capture inside the camera. I imagine photographers, like all visual artists, must feel this gap between what is captured and what can't be captured.

Your imagery of nature personally struck me the most, not for the usual reasons of our "Bob Ross", landscape-loving culture. I know there's a photographic beginning and yet where you take them transcends the photograph itself very much the way a moment transcends its photograph. In other words, it seems through your digital processing, that the moment of a photo is restored to its transcendence.

Your web page is attractive, as well. I can imagine the work of about ten very gifted artists in our online community whom I'd really like to bring together. Like your website, my dream is to build Sophia Guild into an interactive artists' cooperative where we can share how Sophia inspires us visually and maybe even draw upon a larger audience in search of sacred images for their shrines or for gifting. Linked with paypal and such, there's no reason why our companions cannot benefit and be benefitted for their work.

Thank you for sharing! :wink:

Elder Michael+

cgrauke

#15 Postby cgrauke » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:01 pm

Greetings Michael+
I am glad you took the time to check out my art and that you saw ways in which my art reflects the inner essence of its subjects.

All art involves the selectivity of subject matter and composition the combination of which then flow through the personality of the artist while mingling with the essential creativity of All That Is such that the artist is like a prism, which is not the source of the light but inevitably breaks that light into a unique spectrum, the resulting pattern of which becomes actualized in the art object which, in turn, is seen in different ways through the eyes of viewers, providing yet one more level of differentiation. It is always interesting to me to see who has found one type of art more interesting than another.

Since my previous post, I have published 3 chapters of the ongoing writing project I had mentioned. This is The Middle World Chronicles: An Illustrated Spiritual Memoir. This, when finished will consist of two books (the second will be Adamah Yezirah) and these chapters are being drawn from my journal which records my inner journeys that began in 1986. Chapter 3 only brings me through 1988, so I have a way to go to be getting to current! I bring it up here because not only does it relate to at least a similar spiritual approach to the sophian gnostic way, as I understand that , but it also involves my attempts to illustrate things seen only inwardly and that, from my perspective, makes this a particularly sacred art of a personal nature. The relationship to the Kabbalah and the Messiah unfolds later than what I have written so far in the history of my journey. It is only after all these years and where I have gotten to that I have found +Malachi's books and discovered that they provide interesting resonance to my own solo efforts. If you are interested in what I have written so far on the Chronicles, this can be found at:

http://issuu.com/clyde.grauke

Also, I am intrigued by what you raise as a possibility involving an artist cooperative. I would be interested in working with other artists within the framework of the Sophia Guild for the benefit of all, if that develops.

Thanks for your kind response,
Clyde

Elder Gideon
Site Admin

New work from Clyde Grauke

#16 Postby Elder Gideon » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:16 am

[a post from Clyde Grauke moved from the Order of St. Haniel. To see this thread, please click the link. He is responding with work of his own which you may view in his links below.]

http://www.sophian.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1753

I am interested in this topic and I resonate with it in several ways. In addition to having a passion for art (see http://twinmesas.blogspot.com ) I also have been involved for a fair period of time in taking inner journeys with the intent of communicating with my Higher Self. I have been posting transcriptions of my journals on a chapter by chapter basis as an on-going, work in progress. The reason I bring all this up is I have been creating my own illustrations to reflect my inner world interactions as I write these Chronicles. This has brought a new dimension to both my focus in art and the Chronicles. Since I just recently finished chapter 7, I thought I would post this short blurb. I would be interested your observations if you should find time to look through them. The links to them can be found at http://arroyos-seco.blogspot.com

Clyde

cgrauke

#17 Postby cgrauke » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:28 am

Greetings Elder Gideon+ and Fellow Artists,
Thank you Elder Gideon for your encouragement to express myself in this forum. Many posts here show similarity of viewpoint to my own. The following are some general observations that came to my mind as I considered the path of the sacred artist. I will follow this post with some more specific observations and experiences.

First, it seems to me that this business of art is a particular component of creativity and creativity seems to be an integral and intrinsic aspect of All That Is. The mind-boggling explosion and ubiquity of uniqueness and natural harmony in the universe feels like an irrepressible flow of this creativity. I like to think of it as the glow of Shechinah inside all Creation. For men and women to serve as self-aware channels of this intrinsic creativity seems only consistent. However, due to the nature of our standing (at least the Ruach level of our being) at the interface of more subtle and more gross realms, we exhibit a range of technical skills of expression, we hold differing personal beliefs regarding our artistic ability, we have different degrees of cultural support or repression of individual expression, we hold to differing personal perspectives and perceptions of the internal and external worlds, we have differing degrees of or concepts regarding aesthetic appreciation, and we have differing access to tools and time for creative expression...all of which leads to the channel of creativity flowing with more or less obstruction like a river through us and out into the world. Within this framework I feel that all people are creative. My favorite thing to tell myself and others is that, "If you can appreciate beauty, art, writing, etc. you also can be creative." Without that appreciation, plus belief in yourself and a willingness to gather a few technical skills (in my experience), it is difficult for the creative flow to find an outlet.

As far as my own individual creative expressions, I look at creativity as those situations in which I create something unique that has not existed in that exact form before or something which translates something that does exist into another medium and/or into another level of implications due the selection, composing, or manner of expression of something that exists or has already occurred. For myself areas that I have engaged in that I consider to be creative are: art (traditional painting, sculpture, digital art, videos, photography), writing (poetry, flash nonfiction, short stories, memoirs [spiritual memoirs and autobiography], biographies of ancestors, procedure manuals, blog and forum posts :), letters, journals, etc.[my portal to my writings that are online is: http://arroyos-seco.blogspot.com ]), multi-media expression [I only have one online so far: http://www.youtube.com/user/cgrauke2 --I created the background sound effects and had to find which of my art this would work with.], music composition, problem solving, teaching, management, system development, craft design (not the replication part of crafts), home decor arrangements, landscaping my house, antique restoration, meaningful conversations, diagraming concepts and understandings, mindmaps, creating reports, inventing solutions, facilitating groups, counseling others...etc. Hopefully that is enough to make the point that there is a wide range of opportunity to be creative out there for everyone.

Since I happen to have an online interview recorded specific to my digital art and since it is general in nature, I will provide the link to it here: http://1stangel.co.uk/talkthetalk/clyde-grauke/

This was actually posted in 2008 and I have continued moving on, but I still like what came through me at that time relative to what I wanted to express regarding my digital art and I still feel it rings true for myself except for the moving target of my favorite image and the fact that the primary portal for my art has moved to http://twinmesas.blogspot.com/).

The specific issue of the "sacred artist" is a fairly new concept for me. In addition to art per se being sacred, an additional level or facet of sacredness can be the subject, intent, and/or mental attitude of the artist when these are focused on higher (i.e. closer to the Source) spiritual areas. For instance I can say to myself that I think I would like to create something that will inspire others and that could be used for meditation--maybe a mandala, so I start finding a way to create a new one that might serve that purpose (the impulse to do such a thing usually comes from intuition/Neshama, but more on that in another post). The following is not a mandala, but this image is one I particularly like that came out of this general, initial intent to do something "inspirational." http://www.redbubble.com/people/cgrauke ... -threshold

On the other hand I could take an event for which I have a clear visual recall that occurred while on an inner journey and that was an experience in my imagination and the purpose of the journey was for spiritual contact and growth. In that case the experience was a component of a process of actions with a spiritual intent, while the intent related to the art itself is illustration in which I try to capture and transform an imagination-based sensory experience into a physically sensory one in a way that is true to the original experience... an original experience which I clearly did not personally/ego-level/Ruach-level rationally and logically create. I like to think of both of these examples as having the flavor of sacredness. http://www.redbubble.com/people/cgrauke ... to-my-self

I'm thinking I will later take each of my above two images as examples and individually explore how they came about (not technically but from a functional/experiential basis), if that approach with this conversation is of interest. Plus I will use this opportunity as a way in this post to stop my rattling on :)

Shalom,
Clyde

tonybellah

#18 Postby tonybellah » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:20 am

Thank you Brothers and Sisters in the Holy Spirit,I am a Flute Maker,My creative journey began 5 years ago,I make simple cane and Bamboo flutes in varying styles.
In the last year I have stopped selling flutes,I found that sales was affecting my process,mainly Marketability,in trying to make a product more palatable to the general public I was getting further away from the true creation.I thank you for this Forum,it gives a name to all the things that I was strugling with in my process.Now I am soaking up the wealth of knowledge and inspiration that is offered.I have my Alter,or temple and have begun my Journey to Sophia,I am trying to instill Balance and Ruach in to my work that speaks to the Inner human the true self to bring about a harmony and healing for all who play and hear.There is so much to learn here and I have just begun,every day I read something here that inspires and uplifts me to work hard practice walking with the Spirit,It is hard to be patient ,I am still just at the basics Of this disciplin,My online studies are progressing and I hope to be accepted as an initiate soon,I have a lot of Pride and Ego to overcome,Holy Spirit Guide me,Holy Spirit Teach me,Holy Spirit Protect me,In Your Light I thrive,In Your Mercy I am Comforted,In your Wisdom I am Humbled,I live to serve,My life is yours,Amen.

Elder Gideon
Site Admin

Malkut or the market

#19 Postby Elder Gideon » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:59 pm

Shalom Tony:

Blessed are the poor in Spirit, for theirs is Malkut!

There is such a tremendous tension for many creative people since the recent past, following a creative call from within like yourself while being 'outsourced' by mass-produced commodities which have nothing of the same energy and intention. In other words, your path is an inevitable fork in every creative person's journey: Do I compromise to sell to masses, or hold to the call of what something needs to be?

This question has agonized me before. In fact, I am constantly living in this now as a fine arts major with a wealth of experience here and abroad in Florence, Italy, where I finished my degree, to now find myself teaching high school English in a poor, rural area. No longer am I divided in myself, though; I have labored hard for peace between the artist I always am who can only make work on weekends and breaks in winter and summer.

Nor do I fantasize about a life of being a full-time artist, which has its own agonizing dramas just as well. I only need to consider my friends and acquaintances who are even doing pretty well financially to recognize that the difficulties they face of the market, the press, and narcissism, are just as daunting as mine working as hard as I do in something other than art. Harder yet, is the danger of success.

What am I saying? Make work you want to see in your life review after your death. Your flutes need to be different, special, unlike anything anyone might find anywhere. If you don't do this, who will? If their integrity requires you make another living elsewhere, consider this your service and offering to the vision of these flutes themselves! I know exactly why I leave my house every morning at 5:30 am to teach an hour away, 186 days a year: My work as an artist now has never been more intense, for I am completely and totally free to focus exactly and precisely where the Mother Spirit leads me. I need this barrier of another job right now, actually, to protect my spiritual practice of sacred arts.

Serving Malkut, not the market, has required this of me and it is no longer a sacrifice.

Be encouraged, brother.

May deep creativity flourish from a sanctuary gifted sons and daughters keep and guard, blessing the people and land and Holy Root.

Elder Gideon+

Return to “The Order of St. Haniel: The Way of the Sacred Artist”