The Bornless One (Saying 15)

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

The Bornless One (Saying 15)

#1 Postby Tau Malachi » Thu May 06, 2004 2:45 pm

Jesus said, "When you see one who was not born of woman, prostrate yourselves on your faces and worship him. That one is your father." (Gospel of St. Thomas, Saying 15)

Outside of the Light-transmission this can only be a somewhat obscure and enigmatic saying. Assuming that Yeshua was born from an "immaculate conception" by way of a virgin birth, still he was born of a woman. Thus, this Holy and Anointed One who is our "Father" is more than any name and form that might serve as a vehicle to it. Indeed! For it is the Living Yeshua or Risen Savior that the Master is speaking about - the Light-presence (Christ-presence), which is the manifestation of the Light-continuum (the Father).

This Light-presence is transcendent of name and form, yet it appears within name and form in the apostolic succession; specifically within the apostle of Light whom the Spirit of the Anointed sends to us. It is right that we are true and faithful and devoted to the holy apostle the Lord sends to us, yet the nature of this devotion is not to mortal name and form, or to the personality and life-display of the tzaddik, but rather it is to the Light-presence; hence the Risen Savior. If in receiving teachings and initiation I bow down to my tzaddik, it is to the Risen Savior that I bow down - not the person of the tzaddik. In so doing I bow down before the Light-presence in my tzaddik and in myself, and thus establish the necessary conditions for the Light-transmission to transpire in full. This reflects both spiritual self-worth (or divine pride) and spiritual humility, and is the union of the Desire to Receive and Desire to Share.

The practice of prostration or bowing down is part of several traditions of Gnostic Christianity, much as one finds in Buddhism. It is an action of humility and submission of the personality and life-display to the indweller of Light (the Christ-self) which includes the body along with the mind and heart. If the idea of bowing down sounds offensive, then it is good to look and see who or what is offended - for it is the very klippah (husk of darkness) we shed in the practice of bowing down.

On the Tree of Life the Triad of action is composed of Dominion-Victory (Netzach), Submission-Splendor (Hod) and Reciprocity-Foundation (Yesod). The practice of prostration directly corresponds to the Triad of Action, for by bowing down before the Risen Savior we become established in the Divine Dominion (Light-kingdom) and are as the Holy Tzaddik (a cognomen for Yesod). Indeed, this is the very state of a holy tzaddik or apostle of Light: he or she lives in submission to the Risen Savior; hence he or she is "bowed down." As disciples we are invited into the peace and joy of the very same state of Submission which uplifts us to Dominion-Victory. (Is this not, in part, what it means to "take up one's cross?")

Essentially, in truth, my surrender is to nothing external or apart from myself, but rather it is to my holy Neshamah (Divine Nature) and the Christ-self that dwells in my Neshamah. This is my secret and undying soul, the Bornless One, the nature of which is Melchizedek (a holy priest-king or priestess-queen of the Divine Order). According to the Book of Hebrews, this Divine Nature is "without father, without mother..."

Why enact physical prostrations? This Bornless Nature is obscured by our self-identification with name and form, and personal history, and by the mind and heart as it manifests on the surface. Through the act of physical, as well as mental and emotional prostration, we weaken this self-grasping or self-cherishing. It is an action of self-purification through which we become transparent to allow the Light to shine from within us.

Interestingly enough, both in the Zohar and in Pistis Sophia, as here in the Gospel of St. Thomas, the action of bowing down in the midst of the Gnostic and Light-transmission are mentioned. Many times the companions in the Zohar, who are adepts and masters themselves, bow down to the Light-presence in their holy tzaddik, Rabbi Simeon Ben Yohai. Likewise, many times the disciples of Master Yeshua bow themselves down before the Light-presence in him as he shares the inner and secret levels of the Light-transmission. As in Eastern Traditions, quite clearly, this is also a spiritual practice in the Western Enlightenment Traditions - not to the person of the tzaddik, but to the Light within and beyond the tzaddik, and within and beyond oneself.

Thus, one finds specific practices of prostration within our Gnostic Tradition, as one does in several other Gnostic Christian Traditions.

My beloved tzaddik once said, "When a person bows down before the Messiah and Holy Shekinah blessings freely flow to that person - it is good to bow down and let go of one's burden."

This is certainly food for thought...

Blessings & shalom
!
Tau Malachi
Sophia Fellowship
Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

lleyr

#2 Postby lleyr » Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:01 pm

Greetings Malachi!

I found this discussion very helpful and enlightening.

The bowing down does seem to have 2 functions. I really hadn't thought of it like this before, but.... I guess the ego is very centered on its own importance and doesn't want to "bow" to anyone or anything.. especially not our true natur.

I really like the idea that the bowing down is also an act of letting go of our burdons... Great imagery.

Blessings & Shalom! Mark

Brother Brian

Re: The Bornless One (Saying 15)

#3 Postby Brother Brian » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:25 am

Shabbat Shalom

The part of the verse that says, “When you see one who was not born of woman” has been in much contemplation surrounding this verse. This energetic exchange when one comes to meet their true spiritual soul mate. The time and place when a seeker finds and the effect upon the seeker when they enter the presence of a true Tzaddik. How this exchange once it occurs creates an ongoing positive effect, which uplifts many souls on the path of return.

In verse 13 of Thomas it speaks that when Yeshua was asking them whom he was like Thomas answered, “Master, my mouth is wholly incapable of saying whom you are like”! Peter in the gospel confessing to Yeshua “You are the Christ the Son of the Living God. This recognition all coming from the Spirit of God within one’s self, revealing, inspiring, illuminating, excitement, passion, praise God!

I love the story in Gospel of Luke Chapter 24 where Yeshua appears to a couple of disciples on the road to Emmaus. “On the same day, two of Yeshua’s disciples were going to a village called Emmaus. It was about seven miles from Jerusalem. They were talking to each other about everything that had happened.
While they were talking, Yeshua approached them and began walking with them. Although they saw him, they didn’t recognize him.
He asked them, “What are you discussing?”

They stopped and looked very sad. One of them, Cleopas, replied, “Are you the only one in Jerusalem who doesn’t know what has happened recently?”
“What happened?” he asked.

They said to him, “We were discussing what happened to Yeshua from Nazareth. He was a powerful prophet in what he did and said in the sight of God and all the people. Our chief priests and rulers had him condemned to death and crucified. We were hoping that he was the one who would free Israel. What’s more, this is now the third day since everything happened. Some of the women from our group startled us. They went to the tomb early this morning and didn’t find his body. They told us that they had seen angels who said that he’s alive. Some of our men went to the tomb and found it empty, as the women had said, but they didn’t see him.”

Then Yeshua said to them, “How foolish you are! You’re so slow to believe everything the prophets said! Didn’t the Messiah have to suffer these things and enter into his glory?” Then he began with Moses’ Teachings and the Prophets to explain to them what was said about him throughout the Scriptures.
When they came near the village where they were going, Yeshua acted as if he were going farther. They urged him, “Stay with us! It’s getting late, and the day is almost over.” So he went to stay with them.

While he was at the table with them, he took bread and blessed it. He broke the bread and gave it to them. Then their eyes were opened, and they recognized him. But he vanished from their sight.

They said to each other, “Weren’t we excited when he talked with us on the road and opened up the meaning of the Scriptures for us?”

Contemplations arise about the excitement these disciples were experiencing when they were speaking with the Risen Savior. They spoke to one another realizing how this energetic transmission made them feel while Yeshua spoke while receiving words of life from Living Yeshua. The words of the Risen Savior lifting the heaviness of forgetfulness from their eyes.

This passionate exchange between Tzaddikim and their disciples creates so much positive energy for all beings many sparks are uplifted and start this lovely journey back to the Beloved. The desire of these disciples wanting nothing else but to go share what was given to them so others may be blessed.

May we all walk this day with this passion and desire for all souls to experience this exchange, this true joy of the soul. May what we have received be nurtured and shared to those that are seeking through all our relations.

Shabbat Shalom
Brian

sheryl
Site Admin

Re: The Bornless One (Saying 15)

#4 Postby sheryl » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:12 am

Shabbat Shalom, Brother Brian!

I am delighted in what you have shared in your post on this mysterious saying from the Gospel of Thomas. It fits nicely with a contemplation arising this day.

Elder Sarah, in speaking of teli, or "pole dragon", directed me to chapter 6 of Sefer Yetzirah or The Book of Creation. There, an inspiring discussion of the beard/head, chest/heart, and belly of Zer Anpin (Little Face) was discovered. The beard is spoken of in reference to teli, or the hanging of revealed Torah, or that which is revealed of the head - the Wisdom of the head being beyond our knowing.

All we can comprehend is the wisdom revealed by the beard.

What came to mind while reading your post, was Aryeh Kaplan's commentary on teli, where he speaks of the head of Zer Anpin:

In this verse (Ezekiel 1:4), the scripture states that God spoke "out of the fire." Elsewhere, however, it ways. "You heard His voices out of the midst of darkness" (Deuteronomy 5:20). But as the Zohar states, the "fire" mentioned here is the fire of darkness. It is the burning longing that comes from the total nullification of thought..."

The question that arises is in regards to the exchanges you speak of, Brother Brian, when scripture is opened up for a companion by Tzaddik. The excitement, the delight, experienced, is this a remembrance being sparked through what is revealed of what cannot be revealed? Is this a remembrance of the burning longing that comes from the total nullification of thought? Is what we are seeking in our hunger and thirst for knowledge, in our seeking the beard, or the wisdom that can be revealed, actually beyond this? Are we seeking, unbeknown to us, what is beyond what is knowable?

May all burn with this longing!

With gratitude,

Sheryl

Elder Gideon
Site Admin

Awareness of Awareness

#5 Postby Elder Gideon » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:34 am

Shalom Friends:

I appreciate what you've both drawn out here, grounding with familiar examples a rather slippery Gnostic principle of the Body of Emanation—One not born of woman.

My experience of such a bornless one has had come in many waves of increasing intensity over the years in my journey with Tau Malachi. Apart from him, I would have no access to this verse. This energetic initiation into the reality of Tzaddik eludes concrete descriptions. To say Tzaddik is outside of me initiating is true; to say Tzaddik is something within expanding is also true. Either side as the source, within or without, can't be isolated. This is why the Gospel of Phillip teaches that It is not possible for anyone to see anything of the things that actually exist unless one becomes like them and why Tzaddik proper—One not born of woman—is rooted in the purity of the fifth element, spirit-space, which is to say, Awareness of Awareness.

To perceive from any emanation of this Awareness demands that one has contacted this same Awareness within oneself. There are many examples throughout the Torah's Gospel of Tzaddikim being perceived or not, such as with Enoch, Moses, Elijah, who just happen to be present in Yeshua's Transfiguration. Also, we'll remember that while the King of Sodom is offering goods from the war to Abram who refused, completely invisible to the King of Sodom is Melchizedek, approaching with bread and wine, blessing Abram and initiating the Covenant that will herald the incarnation of Messiah.

For this same principle of Awareness within contacting Awareness without, Our Lady, the Magdalene, is the first and only to see the Living Yeshua before all other disciples. I am likewise convinced that the Apocalypse described by St. John is not a tale of the wicked perishing on earth while the righteous abide in heaven, but is unfolding entirely for all incarnate people in the physical plane according to Awareness or ignorance: Ignorant and self-cherishing, it will be all that this world associates with "Apocalypse" while for the incarnate elect, as violence, destruction, and pollution spread, Awareness will shelter their interior life in greater and greater visionary worship of the Lamb.

Beholding Awareness, One not born of woman, is Apocalypse: a disclosure of what is secret. It is right and good to fall down and worship this Awareness in any embodiment, for this Awareness is beyond personal, collective, or even cosmic karma. Beyond time and beyond this conditioned space, this Awareness is Father, meaning that of our being that is reposed, complete, and lacking nothing. To perceive Awareness in another means this same Awareness is coming forward within us as well. This we celebrate in our Wedding Feast. What we're worshipping is indwelling us, visible plainly before us in Tzaddik by whom we become conscious of our innate perfection in Messiah Melchizedek: the Divine I am.

May all this day who are willing turn and encounter One not born of woman.

Elder Gideon

Return to “Gospel of St. Thomas”