Verse 92, Sacred Quest for God's Fulfillment

Anna

Verse 92, Sacred Quest for God's Fulfillment

#1 Postby Anna » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:39 pm

Blessings in the Light of Creator!

Jesus said, "Seek and you will find. Yet, what you asked me about in former times and which I did not tell you then, now I do desire to tell, but you do not inquire after it."

In our studies of verse 92 last week, I was struck by this statement Tau made in his commentary:

"The mystic understands that, just as the master and disciple need one another for fulfillment and completion, so God needs a divine humanity for fulfillment and completion."

Who has taught such an idea, that God needs us for fulfillment? In orthodoxy humans seem a flawed and capriciously conceived creation whose purpose is simply to worship God and get on the rolls of vicarious salvation by saying the "magic words" and agreeing to concepts of God put forth by a church claiming to preach "the truth."

God needs us? This certainly speaks powerfully of our interbeing, our interconnection with God and all beings. We certainly need God, for without God there is nothing, no life, no creation, no us, nothing!

The idea that God created us for God's fulfillment sends me into wonder, awe, that we are an integral part of our God, our Creator. This brings up deeper levels of spiritual pride and spiritual humility at the same time. When I wake up in the morning I have a purpose that is nothing short of amazing! Each of us has this purpose! We are each given a new day in which to work toward the fulfillment of God, ourselves, and all beings- one purpose with a unique portion for each of us.

I wonder if anyone else has found this statement to be as mind-blowing as I have found it. It seems to express the heart of our Gnostic Gospel of Transformation in a way that is both incredibly empowering and humbling at the same time.

Perhaps insights will be stirred by this contemplation, all as Ma wills.

May we pursue God's fulfillment with all our heart, soul, mind and life!
Shalom!
Anna

sheryl
Site Admin

Re: Verse 92, Sacred Quest for God's Fulfillment

#2 Postby sheryl » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:48 pm

Shalom Sister Anna!

I much enjoy this contemplation! The Gospel of St. Thomas is indeed full of many treasures.

Praise and thanksgiving to the Holy One!

It is indeed mind blowing that God needs a divine humanity for fulfillment and completion.

I am recalling a teaching of Apostle Paul's from Romans 8:

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

It comes to mind, in reading what you have shared with us, that the journey of being conformed into Christ's image begins with our seeking. That it is through seeking, and finding, that God is able to gift Godself, and through divine vehicles, Godself is then drawn into this world. The image of a Wonderworker comes to mind, a Tzaddik in sacred ceremony, even in daily living, seeking, finding, drawing, what is sacred into the mundane, conforming creation itself into the image of Christ.

This though, as you have shared, is not something separate or distant from any of us. It is taught that we create with our thoughts, and so every thought is an opportunity to transform this world into the image of Christ.

This is the day that Yahweh has made! Let us rejoice and be glad!

May all awaken and experience each day as a new day, seeking and finding a new potential in God.

With gratitude,

Sheryl

Martina

#3 Postby Martina » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:43 am

Shabbat Shalom, Dear Sisters!

Praise to Our Mother for inspiring this delightful contemplation!

Sheryl shared: “The image of a Wonderworker comes to mind, a Tzaddik in sacred ceremony, even in daily living, seeking, finding, drawing, what is sacred into the mundane, conforming creation itself into the image of Christ.

This though, as you have shared, is not something separate or distant from any of us. It is taught that we create with our thoughts, and so every thought is an opportunity to transform this world into the image of Christ.”

Your thoughts, Dear Sister, bring a new meaning to this verse for me:

“Jesus went through all the towns and villages, teaching in their synagogues, proclaiming the good news of the kingdom and healing every disease and sickness. When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd. Then he said to his disciples, “The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field.” (Matthew 9:35-38)

Although this vers can be interpreted in many ways, it very much seems to speak of our part as co-creators with God. Like Tau shared in a recent Shabbat discourse, there is no difference between the sacred and the mundane. Everything is sacred as it is. There always is the task of uplifting whereever we go. I was wondering what this uplifting might be? Tau shared, I believe, it is as simple as beings feeling loved by others. I believe, much more than we initally think can be changed in this way.

I am grateful for any correction.

In gratitude,
Martina
Martina

Yonah

#4 Postby Yonah » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:01 pm

Dear Sisters!

What a beautiful contemplation. Thank you Sister Anna for bringing this forward.

What I am so struck with here is that creation has a purpose! So many religious systems seem to point to the idea that creation is either random or something to be overcome. While pursuing my Masters in Theology it was evident that much of conservative Christianity has no cohesive teaching on why creation even exists.

The quote that Sister Anna posted from Tau Malachi sums up the Sophian view that is supported in both gnostic traditions and kabbalah – God generated creation for a reason and for a purpose that is focused around His/Her fulfillment.

I have often heard the idea that one of God’s most important attributes is as Creator. Without this God is not truly God. This says that creation isn’t just a nicety or an after-thought, but at the core of who El Elyon (God Most High) really is. Without the act of creation it seems that God wouldn’t be true to him/her-self.

I also believe that this mystery is tied to the Second Coming and the change in Divine Name associated with Malkut. As we know, Malkut’s Divine Name is Adonai (Lord). This seems to be God outside of us but in creation. In the Second Coming, the Divine Name of Malkut changes to Elohim – multiple male and female personalities of God. These personalities are in effect Partzufim (faces of God).

I remember a teaching that discusses the original universe shattering because it could not hold the Diving Light, but after shattering, the universe reconfigures based on the Tree of Life with Partzufim holding it together through relationships. I have to wonder if this means that the purpose of creation is then relationship – relationship of beings to God, but also to each other? Relationships that literally change God as they consciously return?

I believe there are many contemplations that can come from here! I look forward to where this all goes.

Shalom, Yonah
Shalom,
Yonah
EPS Columbus Gathering

sheryl
Site Admin

#5 Postby sheryl » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:52 pm

Shalom Bishop Yonah and dear Sisters!

What has been shared intertwines with contemplations that have arisen lately. Praise and thanksgiving to our Holy Mother and to all of you joining in the sharing of these delightful insights!

I am recalling teachings on the self grasping of the nefesh, with its preferences and dislikes, pleasures and displeasures, as the obstacle to God's fulfillment. The Neshamah, though, whose embodiment becomes the fulfillment of the sacred quest, is said to transcend the for-self-alone seeking of the nefesh. For example, as I have been doing home repairs, preparing the house for resale and helping with college apps, the nefesh has things that it likes or doesn't like, expectations of pleasure or displeasure leading to aversion and attachment to the tasks, and to what is arising, or even not arising. To the Neshamah, though, perhaps we can say that it is all play, it is all potential. Even going to the hardware store has potential! I am likewise thinking as you shared, Bishop Yonah, it is all about relationship. But perhaps this relationship transcends the nefesh, perhaps it is the relationship within Christ - Christ relating with Christself or God relating with Godself?

To the Neshamah, it seems, every action, every interaction is potential, potential for relationship - potential for the sharing of sparks, potential for light transmission, potential to love and just to be of help. It comes to mind that this is simultaneously embodiment and uplifting. It has been taught that embodiment is ascension and so perhaps we can say that embodiment is uplifting all that is around us as well?

Thus we can say that as we draw out the good from within an object, a person, an action, as we uplift, we likewise embody that good. Perhaps this is the uplifting that Sister Martina has asked about?

The kicker then is setting aside what a nefesh thinks or feels about an action or task, and making space for the Neshamah, which delights and joys in it all! The nefesh, it seems is not without its role in this, though, carrying the wisdom of moving, functioning and flourishing in materiality! So the labor becomes a co-labor. Between the Youth and its well trained pet.

May all seek and find the delights in God!

Sheryl

Yonah

#6 Postby Yonah » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:13 pm

Greetings Sister Sheryl!

As always.. beautiful drawing out of the contemplation.

My understanding is that the Nefesh is the personality display and what we call the ego. This Nefesh can be Nefesh Behomet or Nefesh Elokit depending on whether it is turned toward the Neshamah or turned toward its own self-grasping at name, form, personal history and focused on attachment and aversion.

I believe you are completely right in saying that it is about Christ’s relationship with Christ-self which is God in relationship with God-self. I think that is both within us, between us and God, and us and others. When we see the Christ Presence in another – even if they don’t see it themselves – then we can still be in true relation at least energetically.

I also really like your comment about everything being a potential for the Neshamah. I believe we have to integrate the Nefesh but lifting it up and transforming its desires and aversions into something of God. So, if we can uplift this personality display and continually transform it – then a true relationship also builds between the Nefesh and The Neshamah and they become united – as we see in Yeshua. There are times the Nefesh and the body may still rebel, but the Nefesh, Ruach, and Neshamah are generally in harmony and displaying True Self and True Will. Yes… a co-labor between the two.

MMM.. yes… uplifting everything that we are as humans and uplifting everything we come into contact with.

Beautiful.

May we all be continually uplifting!!!
Shalom, Yonah
Shalom,
Yonah
EPS Columbus Gathering

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

#7 Postby Tau Malachi » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:04 am

Greetings and blessings in the Perfect Light of the Messiah! Amen.

This contemplation rests entirely upon the Divine Motivation and Intention of the Creator in the act of creation; hence, in the question, why does God create? The first, most obvious answer is that as The Creator, it’s the very nature of the Divine to emanate, create, form and make; it is the expression of the infinite self-generation and glory of El Elyon, the Supreme. The climax of creation, of course, is the Human One of Light, the Messiah; hence, human beings who are awake, realized and embodying Ruach Elohim and Da’at Elohim. In this an enlightened humanity, one able to receive the Messiah (Anointing), fulfills the Creator, or rather the intention of the Creator, through completing the action of creation.

There is something more subtle and sublime in teachings of an enlightened humanity fulfilling God, the Creator. If, indeed, the Infinite One is self-generating without end, and it is the very nature of the Infinite One to create, then action of creating and the creation itself brings joy to the Holy One. Thus, as the climax of creation, a divine and supernal humanity brings immeasurable joy to God, and in so doing fulfills and completes the Creator (Yahweh Elohim)

Joined with this there is also an understanding of the Divine immanent and transcendent; as the transcendent, the Holy One does not change and needs nothing from us, but as the immanent, through creation and through us God is coming into being – forever becoming! On this level God needs us, God is manifest as us and all creation; there would be no actualization and realization of God the Creator (Elohim) apart from creative evolution and conscious unification with the God – the generation and embodiment of God Consciousness, or Christ Consciousness.

Along with this we may also contemplate the many mystics who have spoken of God as the Beloved, or as the Divine Lover. In love and love-play the embrace and union of self and other is fulfillment and completion; and so it is with awakened souls returning to the Infinite One, or engaging the Beloved, the Holy One of Being is fulfilled and complete with each and every returning spirit and soul.

These were a few thoughts I was inclined to share.

Shalom!
Tau Malachi
Sophia Fellowship
Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Return to “Gospel of St. Thomas”