Saying 47

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Saying 47

#1 Postby Tau Malachi » Sat Dec 20, 2003 11:48 am

Jesus Said, "It is impossible for a man to mount two horses or to stretch two bows. And it is impossible for a servant to serve two masters; otherwise he will honor one and offend the other. No man drinks old wine and immedeately desires to drink new wine. And new wine is not put into old wineskins, lest they burst, nor is old wine put into new wineskins, lest it spoil. An old patch is not sewn onto a new garment, because there is would split" (Gnostic Gospel of St. Thomas 47).

"It is impossible for a man to mount two horses or to stretch two bows." Indeed! There is one mind, but two paths. There is the Way of the Living One, the Holy Ones, and there is the way of the world and the profane. The mind, heart and life can go one way or the other, but it cannot go in both ways. It is an obvious truth, yet, perhaps it is not so obvious, as many who claim to be spiritual are worldly, and many who seek truth or claim to have found truth hold themselves to no higher standard of ethics and integrity than a worldly person. This is especially true in our times, in our society and culture, with all our focus on creature comforts and vain entertainments, for many people spirituality is a side affair, as though another entertainment or hobby - they are lukewarm. This condition is directly addressed in Revelation 3:14:22. It is a message for our times. If by a spiritual path or spiritual life we mean the mystical journey into True Gnosis or the path to Self-realization, then we must dissolve our self-identification with name and form and personal history, and let go of the world and things of the world, and we must generate a new self-identity with fully evolved and realized being - Divine Being.

"And it is impossible for a servant to serve two masters; otherwise he will honor the one and offend the other." This reflects the same fundamental truth, yet here we can speak of money and Spirit, or anything else we might hold dear more than the Spirit of Truth. And we may speak of the egoistic self versus the Christ Self - the latter being the true and proper Master. In any situation, circumstance or event I may inquire of myself, "What will serve the Light-Presence in me and in others." Also, this speaks of the need to go within and to live from within, for there is where the Christ Self is, within and behind the heart. Some might speak of the mind versus the heart in this, yet many who "follow the heart" do not follow the Sacred Heart but merely the sentimentality of the ego-illusion. In this regard the "heart" can be a deceptive concept. But we can say this: With the True Heart there is Divine Passion and the boldness of the Holy Spirit. We can also say with this that every disciple shall have one true Root Tzaddik, not two or three. There is one true love, and though we may have many teachers, we shall have but one Guide who is the outward manifestation of the Inner Guide, the Living Yeshua. In modern spirituality there is much confusion about this, but then, in pride and arrogance common to New Ageism, most would claim no need for discipleship and the Guide. How funny everyone knows in their body a need for a lover and yet so few in their heart know the need for such a love in the Spirit! The ego-illusion is quite the deceiver!

"No man drinks old wine and immedeately desires to drink new wine." Authentic wisdom traditions are "old and fine wine," well aged and tested, being generated through the enlightenment experience of adepts and masters - realized beings. Having tasted of this, who would desire the watered down versions put forth as "modern spirituality" or the unfounded teachings of the New Age? Indeed, the wise look for a well fermented teaching and practice, and tasting of it there is no desire for teachings not founded upon the actual enlightenment experience.

"And new wine is not put into old wineskins, lest they burst; nor is old wine put into new wineskins, lest it spoil." New Age teachings will corrupt authentic wisdom teachings, and authentic wisdom teachings taken out of context and put forth as New Age "Enlightenment" are ruined. There are indeed true and false teachings, and the truth-seeker must discern between them.

"An old patch is not sewn onto a new garment, because there it would split." Here is the test of what is true and what is false among spiritual teachings - what is true is founded upon an actual Self-realization or Enlightenment, and seeks a radical change in consciousness, and does not cater to the ego-illusion or affirm continuation in worldly ways. True teachings are challenging, they demand growth and evolution to a new and spiritual life, and a new and spiritual self. One cannot "patch" spiritualiy onto the old and unspiritual self and life, but one must put on a new self in the Light-Presence. Only then does one enter into the Path of the Great Ascension.

These may seem to be strong words, yet there is much deception regarding spirituality in our times - so many false teaching abound. With the present revival of Gnosticism, much is being put forth as "Gnostic" which has little or nothing to do with Gnosticism at all - as though anything one says is "Gnostic" makes it Gnostic, or anyone who claims to be a "Gnostic" is a Gnostic. It is yet another New Age fade, as is Kabbalah, and one must be discerning and be able to distinguish what is wise and what is foolish. There is no transcending the ego-illusion while clinging to it, and no transcending the world while clinging to it - Wisdom teaches another way, opposite to that of the world.

I'd love to hear the thoughts of others on this saying.....

Blessings & shalom!
Last edited by Tau Malachi on Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tau Malachi
Sophia Fellowship
Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

#2 Postby Guest » Mon Dec 22, 2003 6:37 pm

Greetings Malachi,

"Two Horses" seems to say two vehicles. The question is what are we a vehicle for. Are we a vehicle for the Light Presence or are we a vehicle for the world. Does one allow themselves to be true to what they are or does one become what they are not. One cannont be themselves and be somebody else at the same time. One's Soul of Light cannot shine through if one is not connecting to their Soul of Light.
"Two Bows" seems to suggest two goals. What comes to mind is the saying often said, "the only goal is the path". One cannot be goal oriented, yet one cannot veer from the goal. This gets subtle. We cannnot be so target fixated that we fail to see what has been achieved. In this way one has one goal and no other. This is kind of like the only constant of change is change itself. "Two Masters" seems to ask, where do you direct your desire energy. Does one desire the world or does one desire the Light Presence. This also gets rather suble in that we must ask, what is the world and what is the Light Presence. Every moment of every day we are faced with this question. This question can be as simple as what one choses to do with an hour of spare time or what thoughts does one decide to entertain while on the way to work. This distinction cannot be made form an outside view. Just because one is attending disscourse or chatting in the chat room doesn't mean the choice has been made. This goes beyond the physical. This is speaking of vibration and consciousness. To what do we link. Also with "two masters" I think of how Yeshua says, "Let the eye be single and the whole body will be filled with light. I Love all the wine talk, wine is so symbolic of the journey. "No man drinks old wine and immedeately desires to drink new wine." I think here of how one cannot taste the path and immedeately return to life as they know it. One cannot have other worldly experiences and then simply write them off like they where nothing and then return to life as ususal. Life is not usual and reality is not what one thinks. If one tastes the passion and the desire for the Light Transmission how could mundane life even be possible. There is a temptation here though, the ego likes the usual. The ego doesn't like to change. It is the ego that would like to go back to life as one knew it. "And new wine is not put into old wineskins, lest they burst, nor is old wine put into new wineskins." There seem to be many dimensions to this part. First, the idea that as one embarks on the path ones whole life changes and the "old life" simply doesn't fit any more. Ones relations change, ones activities change, ones whole life changes. You are "Born Again" but not as the fundimentalist would think. Here I also think of the transmigration of souls and how it seems that souls are born into particular life situations that provide exactly what that soul needs. Also here I think of the generation of the Body of Light and how one must be ready for the Serpent Power to begin movement. "An old patch is not sewn onto a new garment, because there it would split. This part seems to suggest personal history. One cannot enter a new life looking through the googles of personal history.

Just a few ideas,

Many Blessings,
Sunny

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Passion

#3 Postby Tau Malachi » Tue Dec 23, 2003 10:47 am

Hi Sunny!

I believe you bring up the real key to all of this: Desire-Energy. It does seem to be all a matter of where we direct our desire-energy, for the Serpent Power we seek to awaken in the generation of the Body of Light, which is the power of the Holy Spirit in us, is desire-energy. According to the masters of the Tradition, this energy must be sublimated and directed inward and upward through the central channel; hence Godward.

What is interesting is that in awakening the Serpent Power we experience a radical increase in desire - all manner of desires, so that were attachment and aversion to remain, the awakening of this Divine Energy could well be very unpleasant rather than blissful. Thus, the capacity to consciously direct desire-energy and to disolve attaments and aversions proves most important.

"Wine" speaks the secret of how we are able to manage a radical increase in desire-energy, for wine always indicates Divine Passion - the intensity of faith, intensity of feeling-emotion and intensity of contemplation which allows in the inward and upward turn of desire-energy. When the Zohar speaks of the study and contemplation of Torah and Gospel as more important that even prayer and meditation, it is speaking of one in whom this Fire Snake is awakened - for a continual contemplation of the mysteries of creation and the Divine naturally draws this Divine Energy in ascent to unification and ensures it is guided by the Force from above, hence Divine Grace.

The whole point to immersion in a constant continuum of study and contemplation, prayer and meditation, is to properly direct the Force of the Serpent Power when it awakens. Awakening this Evolutionary Force is central to the resurrection and ascension - hence the very direct teachings about it we find in the Gospel of St. John.

In and of itself desire-energy is not a problem, but rather it is all a question of where we direct our desire-energy.

Blessings & shalom!
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Coop

#4 Postby Coop » Wed Dec 24, 2003 4:39 pm

Hello Malachi and Sunny!

This saying reminds me in some ways of our discussion on the Parable of the Sower. In that lesson we're taught that we must choose what to nourish. If we are unaware, we are very likely to haphazardly choose the wordly master, and feed whatever's flitting past our attention at the moment.

With awareness, however, the job isn't made easier. It's more difficult, as a matter of fact. All of the sudden we have a choice, and must put effort into choosing, virtually every moment, where to place our attention -- on uplifting thoughts and actions or on well-worn comfortable habits of the world. It takes such vigilance and fortitude.

If it can be called "disappointing" to never raise one's awareness above the profane, it should be called a tragedy to be a luke-warm being -- sort of semi-aware and neither hot nor cold on the spiritual front -- and then choose the ways of the world; to have a glimpse, and then turn one's attention away.

"To him who overcomes, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I overcame and sat down with my Father on his throne."

Placing my attention on that task, i feel daunted. My personal identity and the rhythms of the world and demands of my ego are what I've clung to for a lifetime. Yet I've known for a long time that entering the kingdom requires complete repentance, a rebirth, and choosing differently than my worldly inclinations at every turn. I can see that cultivating awareness is an advantage in this task -- if i know when the thief comes to rob me, i can be alert and thwart his efforts. I'm experimenting with cultivating awareness by learning to be interested in this moment -- rather than living a moment that isn't here. For instance, having fun in tiny little experiences of a gnostic walk. The small stuff and the big stuff. A whiff of air past my ear, the arising of joy out of who-knows-where.

I'm not sure i have any experience with which to comment on this topic, but I do know I've been a luke-warm one for a lifetime, staring unbelievably at a daunting task that lies ahead.

You asked what comes to mind, and that's what looms largest for me.

Coop
"The Universe is a big place -- perhaps the biggest." -- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

In the Moment

#5 Postby Tau Malachi » Wed Dec 24, 2003 6:33 pm

Greetings Michael!

Your comment is on topic, though I wonder if the view of a "daunting task" is, in fact, an illusionary enchantment of the Adversary. After all, taken moment by moment it is simple - a single choice for the Truth and Light. Being present in the moment, really, there does not seem to be any struggle or burden at all........only when the mind drifts into the dream-like past or into fantasies of futures yet to be does a burden and struggle seem to appear. In the moment righteousness seems to be effortless. Perhaps we could say our struggle is to be present in the moment, and once we are in the moment the struggle vanishes.

It seems at the outset there is more struggle and personal effort required because of old habitual patterns, but with time and practice, more and more, it is effortless. If the work on oneself could become a labor of love, I wonder if our burden could be relieved more swiftly?

Blessings & shalom! :)
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Joanne2

A Middle Way

#6 Postby Joanne2 » Fri Dec 26, 2003 10:29 am

Sometimes it is not the right time for a chosen way to be dictated. Perhaps it is time to stay in the middle to see just what is really happening on the ego path? To see things "as they really are?" to gain understanding. ... We are not all directed to sameness. But the beauty is learn from ones who have gone further and build on that for our own path

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

The Way

#7 Postby Tau Malachi » Sat Dec 27, 2003 3:07 am

Greetings Joanne!

Rationalization, justification, denial, these lead to a lukewarm state. This state is is clearly spoken of in Revelation 3:14-22. According to the masters of the Tradition, the message to the seventh church deals specifically with our Age, all other esoteric teachings aside. If the most basic interprestation of Satan is the ego-illusion, shall I then strike a bargan with that old adversary, and by way of compromise become enlightened and liberated? I think not!

Let us say that these two paths - the two horses, two bows, two masters, are the outer self and the Inner or Christ Self - there is no middle ground between them, but we shall serve one or the other. Rationalization, justification and denial must not be allowed to obscure this essential and simple truth, and certainly will not change the truth. Shall we make the Master say whatever we like, or shall we listen and hear the Master, and follow in the Way which leads to Divine Illumination? And if we are troubled, is it not a conflict between the inclination of the Inner or Christ Self and the outer self - hence the True Self and ego-illusion?

The Gospel of St. Matthew 10:32-39 is a good contemplation - shall we lighten the blow of these words? And who is it that is struck by these words? Surely, it is not the Soul of Light in us that is troubled by such words, but something else that is troubled and must justify itself. I call your attention especially to verses 32-33; and ask of the honesty of hidden spirituality? How shall we engage in the Great Work and extend the Light and yet not be bold in Spirit? How shall we be most truly ourselves in hiding? Compromise? Now there is a deal with the devil!

How long must I examine the ego-illusion before recognizing the illusory nature of the self? What is to be learnt from an illusion, save discerment of unreality? The plight of Jonah comes to mind, the reluctant prophet - even in success he felt failure. How hard do we want to make it?

No, I refuse to become a politician speaking what people want to hear, or catering to falsehood and illusion. To do so it to betray the Spirit and myself, and also everyone in my life - if there is a sting to truth, let it be known, the sting of death is yet greater if we cleave to falsehood.

How does an obvious truth become so obscured?

There is good and there is evil, and there is admixture - evil is most obvious, it is admixture which is the greatest danger of all, for it obscures the innate clarity of truth and deceives many. But we may say this: Admixture is less evil than evil, though it is also less good than good. Nevertheless, from one gradation of ignorance to another, the bondage of ignorance remains fundamentally the same.

No one is dictating anything, it is all a matter of what is inwardly realized and outwardly enacted. After all is said and done we shall see the end to which a chosen path takes us - perhaps only in retrospect shall the truth be known. Yet, we may hope for the realization of the truth now so that sorrow and suffering might not be prolonged.

We can also say this: The Way is likely very different from anything we think, and thus our judgments are inherently flawed. In the midst of such folly, surely only grace will bring forth wisdom!

Perhaps enlightenment and liberation is as simple as the invocation of grace. But what does that mean? And if grace flows are we willing to receive it?

Blessings & shalom!
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Joanne2

#8 Postby Joanne2 » Sat Dec 27, 2003 5:04 am

"Many are Called". "Few are chosen"-It is a path for the elect. This is not for those who fear losing themselves or fear they are unworthy. These are two obstacles I would wrestle with.

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Wrestling with the Angel

#9 Postby Tau Malachi » Sat Dec 27, 2003 11:24 am

Hi Joanna!

I'm reminded of Jacob wrestling with the angel of Esau. One teaching regarding this is that Esau is actually Jacob's Nefesh Behamit, his bestial nature, hence that downward and backward pull that acts on us like gravity. Because he dares to continue his wrestling, and endures, he is called Israel - "one who struggled with God and attained victory." On account of this he is called elect or chosen. It seems wrestling is part of the process for all of us, and the fear of losing oneself and sense of unworthiness is common. One merely need consider the male disciples of Yeshua on the night of his arrest running this way and that to preserve themselves - souls of such high grade facing the same inner conflict.

There is a secret in the Gnostic Christian way, which is the cornerstone of all practices and all attainment - it is the central practice of all who find a heart connection to Yeshua. Anyone can do this: Cleave to Christ and open oneself to the Light of Christ, which is love, and seek to embody that love. In so doing one embodies something of the Christos and brings the Christ Self foward. Grace flows in this way, and by grace we are made worthy. This is a dimension of the Path anyone can entertain, all to the degree to which she or he is inclined. In this way many among the faithful or psychic are made elect. Was this not the healing of the disciples who ran and hid themselves out of fear and who felt unworthy?

Though Gnosticism has inner and secret teachings, it does not reject the outer teachings, but the outer teachings are as a body to the soul and empower the embodiment of the Light-Presence (Christ-Presence).

To anyone wrestling in this way I would suggest this practice and point to the Mystery of the Crucifixion and say, In Christ one is already healed and made whole - let your life celebrate this truth. "Enflame yourself with prayer, and invoke often."

Blessings & shalom!
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Evam

#10 Postby Evam » Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:39 am

<<"No man drinks old wine and immedeately desires to drink new wine." Authentic wisdom traditions are "old and fine wine," well aged and tested, being generated through the enlightenment experience of adepts and masters - realized beings. Having tasted of this, who would desire the watered down versions put forth as "modern spirituality" or the unfounded teachings of the New Age? Indeed, the wise look for a well fermented teaching and practice, and tasting of it there is no desire for teachings not founded upon the actual enlightenment experience.
< CLIP >

I'd love to hear the thoughts of others on this saying..... >>

==================

Hi!

I think you wrote a wonderful thing. It is full of truth.

There is something that I would like to add to it, though. For it is not always so that a genuinely traditional approach is the right one. This is actually an assumption of the mind that e.g. Jezus would now today teach the same things as he did 2000 years ago. But Jezus is connected with the Living Truth, which takes also into account the present situation, which is not the same as at that time.

Great preditions have been made, by him and by others, and we now are pretty close to the fulfilment of these prophecies.
The Living Truth can never be grasped by the mind to be used later at any given time. That is just dead knowledge, information. Real Truth is always New, and in full relation to the whole present moment and situation.

So, although I certainly agree with you about the glamour, the selfish focus and the rest of all hypocrisy of modern NewAgeism, still I also have to say it is time to be open for the different situation of today.

A quote from an article that is about this:

We may observe that in the course of time, the quality and degree of human degradation changes. The physical and spiritual state of humanity also changes, and genuine presentations of the Universal Doctrine always take the necessary steps to adjust themselves intelligently to these circumstances. Our aim is not to resurrect old things, but to revive universal ones. We do not wish to tread old paths, but to pursue the universal, living method on a rational-moral basis adjusted to the present circumstances in the world. Viewed in this light, we can understand the words of Christ: "The old has passed away; behold, the new has come!" - 2 Cor 5:17. In apparent contradiction to this statement we quote the following: "Think not that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have come not to abolish them, but to fulfil them" - Matt. 5:17. From this we must learn to understand that the Eternally Immutable manifests itself in time and in accordance with the peculiar needs of the times. If, therefore, a particular spiritual opus does not coincide with this signature, then it is dead and, if utilised by even well-meaning spiritual aspirants, may quickly become an instrument of evil in the world, for one definition of 'evil' is: that which has become outmoded, redundant. Every spiritual movement needs to transfer and update its mandate into the present, not from dualistic interpretations of past revelations, but directly from the Universal Source of Life.

Evam

www.thenewcall.org

Elder Sarah
Site Admin

#11 Postby Elder Sarah » Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:05 pm

Greetings Evam,

Being a student of an authentic Wisdom Tradition I must comment on your thoughts. In Ecclesiastes it is said that there is nothing new under the sun. This "Nothing New" seems to speak of how everything comes from something, something does not come from nothing. All of the human experience as we know it is built on the work of those who have gone before us, how could spirituality be any different? I also would have to say that Yeshua is teaching what was taught 2000 years ago, of course not the man of Jesus, not the one that was crucified. The one that was raised up, this one does continue to teach. I do agree with you in that the Living Truth cannot be grasped by mind. I would have to add to this that a Living Wisdom Tradition doesn't teach what has been grasped by mind, it teaches what is beyond mind. The mind may be a tool that is used, but really we are being taught to get out of ones mind. In my experience Truth is neither new or old, it is not from the past and it is not in the future. Truth abides now.

Many Blessings,

Sunny

charlie

#12 Postby charlie » Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:11 am

I think sunny is right, most of us are out of our minds :)

evam's post really brought up the 'living' part of Living Wisdom Tradition. I've noticed that every tzaddik or teacher in the tradition has a very unique style... not everyone is born a teacher, there is still the whole childhood development process. when someone gets to the point where they are ready to teach, they can draw upon their experiences of the world in motion. these experiences have more to do with the way the teachings are presented and the teacher's style than with the principles behind them. typically, wine gets better with age. this is like how the body of wisdom grows and deepens with time. seeing the companions of a circle as vessels, or wineskins, you wouldn't immediately give the most subtle teachings to the newest student, the 'newness' of the wineskin would not capture the subtleties. that doesn't change the fact that most people would prefer to drink a bottle of fancy stuff from the 1700's rather than a $3 bottle of boone's farm :)

we are very much a living tradition, everything we do is about right now. we look within more often than outward. looking at history doesn't seem to be inward. one of the most interesting tools I've gotten is in how I read scriptures. what if I look at them as if they are all dreams about events that are occurring within. dreams are usually in the language of the subconscious, symbols with often very deep meanings. perhaps this view might add to your contemplation of prophecies :)

shalom!

#13 Postby Guest » Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:48 am

Greetings,

This question of tradition is one that has arisen many times. Our present culture seems more inclined to instant gratification, and the notion of tradition seems to conjure images of stuffy, outmoded, empty rituals. Yet what is called “new” isn’t new at all, but a rehashing of ancient knowledge “poured into new wineskins” where it does, indeed, spoil. The New Age maxim of “Take what you like and leave the rest” leaves one empty and unsatisfied – and isn’t this what has caused our pain and discomfort in the first place?

A Living Tradition is based on tried and true practices passed from generation to generation. Because it is alive, the principles apply to the human condition in whatever time and situation we find ourselves. I would question whether human nature is so different today than it was 2000 years ago!

Blessings and Shalom,

Rebekah

Elder Sarah
Site Admin

#14 Postby Elder Sarah » Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:12 pm

Greetings,
This question of whether human nature is so different today than it was 2000 years ago is an interesting one! What comes up for me is how it seems that Yeshua planted a seed 2000 years ago and we still labor for the harvesting of this seed. Time gets real funny in this contemplation. It seems the teachings of Yeshua had, have and continue to have a timelessness to them. It is almost as if the teachings themselves are a gateway into the space in which there is no time. All of the "I AM" statements seem to hint at this. From where is he speaking? Is he speaking from a realm in which the words come before the thought? It seems this is what is meant by Living Word. It is Living because it has never died into duality. It appears as though this is what forms religion, this split in to what is dead. A freezeframe of what Lives. Interesting that name and form seem to be a freezeframe, frozen matter in a sea of consciousness.
A very neat contemplation!

May Blessings!

Sunny

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

The View

#15 Postby Tau Malachi » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:12 pm

Greetings Michelle!

I went to respond to your insightful post in this topic, but found that it had vanished. In any case, the insight you mentioned from within your own life-experience is an important one, for even events that may seem unfortunate may well lead to a greater blessing in terms of the development and evolution of the soul. Your insight accords quite well with the discussion of "running and returning" we have begun in the Sefer Yetzirah forum.

It seems to me that all circunstances, situations and events in this life are meant to facilitate the development and evolution of our soul-being, and ultimately meant to lead us towards enlightenment and liberation - the Most High (Elyon). It is all a matter of our own view of them and how we relate with them and make use of them in our spiritual life and practice.

How you are relating with your experience is skillful! :wink:

May the Mother Spirit empower us to draw out blessings from all experiences of this life, amen.

Blessings & shalom!
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

michellejune

#16 Postby michellejune » Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:21 pm

(Here is the post commented on in the previous one)

Greetings Tau Malachi!

After meditating on verse 47, I received some clarification on things in my life. ..it is impossible for a servant to serve two masters..."

In 2004 I had major breakthroughs in my singing career. I was working very hard, getting somewhat obsessed with my career. Then in early 2005 I had a vocal hemmorage. I had to quit all my singing jobs and could just teach part-time. I was devastated. Many times I prayed and asked for guidance. What I received was that I was getting too far away from my spiritual destiny, and losing my voice for a while would bring me back to the spirit and for my soul, it would be a " blessing in disguise." I now believe this is true, and that's exactly what happened. I was trying to serve two masters, not paying that much attention to the spirit and just serving the world. I received a painful, but effective correction on my course.

Were it not for that "bad" experience, I may have been very entrenched in the music world and lost sight of my spiritual goals for a while. I might not have found this way at all. I was still reading spiritual books here and there, but my practices were not as consistent or dedicated and I was still looking for the right teachings for me. During this dark time, I found the meditations on The Gospel of St. Thomas and immediately I felt the profound, living force of the teachings. I think I understand the principle of "the power if the living word." I know these words and this work has the power of the Holy Spirit. I am so grateful for this opportunity and for the generosity of spirit I have received from having contact with this work.

I am reminded (and experiencing) that the most important thing in our lives is the enlightenment of our souls and "the lord is always first and everything else is second." Inherent in this is a life that is more giving, less self-centered. It's easy to get distracted away and be tempted to forget, if the right lure is present.

I am developing a love for the practices and for the Lord, so that I look forward to my times of meditation and reading. I am 'serving gladly' for the first time in my life. I'm starting to feel more fulfilled and I don't feel as if I need so many external things and recognition from the world, which never really fulfilled me anyway. Even when I had lots of singing jobs, sometimes I was miserable. I am feeling more at peace inwardly, and that I am more on track with my destiny.

I can still sing, but my voice is not as strong as it used to be for the opera world. I think if I am meant to sing again, The Lord will restore my voice. If I meant to sing for the spirit and not just for the world, it will return. But I am making peace with a new life and with my soul's journey. I have faith that I am back on track with my soul's destiny, and as I grow more toward God, whatever is meant to be will happen. For now my desire for the "beloved" has been kindled, I am longing to learn more, to serve others, and to serve only one master. There is greater joy in this indeed!

Blessings and Thanks,
Michelle

Marion

#17 Postby Marion » Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:24 am

Dear Michelle,

What a wonderful blessing from the holy spirit! and what wonderful insights!
Yeshua says, "Seek ye first the kingdom of heaven, and everything else will be added unto thee."
This is actualy a very liberative verse, because it means that we do not have to struggle with our desires for things in this world, and the spirit. So often I hear myself and others say, "I'll get more spiritual when I attain greater wealth and power in the world." weather this be in the form of family, career, fame etc... it is all the same. What we don't realise in these moments though is that if we just focus on the spiritual life and practice, the spirit will give us what we need. You also bring up another very powerful point; That when you were a sucessful vocalist, you weren't always happy. this is true for everone, weather we choose to recognise this or not. we are most happy when we feel connected to spirit, connected to the divine. and as the book, "the Anatomy of the Soul" in chapter 12 would propose, in our persut for materiality, we are actualy seeking a deeper spirit connectedness. This is actualy very perseptive of the sub-conscious mind because spirit and matter are in fact not so separate as they may seem to the dualistic mind. The only problem is that so often we forget this truth, so, it is better to pursue spirituality, and through this, perseve the interconnectedness of the world and spirit. Because, as you say, if we persue the world first and foremost, we tend to become intoxicated. This seems to be one of the subtle meanings behind Yeshua's mention of the wine in this verse. Because wine intoxicates, as does the world. Unless, one has bread, in which case the bread tempers the fireyness of the wine, so that it is drinkable, and transmuttable.

Blessings and Shalom!
Marion

Damiean

Some thoughts

#18 Postby Damiean » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:26 am

Greetings everyone!

Blessings in the Light of the Great Seth, the True Cross!

After having discussed this verse in chat last night, I began to wonder about the Subtle body, the Solar body, and the Body of Light in connection with this verse.

In speaking of, "And new wine is not put into old wineskins, lest they burst, nor is old wine put into new wineskins, lest it spoil." This speaks to me of the reception of the Light from above, in connection also.

In the teachings it speaks of gradations of light and the flow of that light into our mind/body/selves. As we practice we continually are subtly changing this "wineskin" we call the "self". Of course, this is accomplished with Divine Grace, yet there is a work to be done on the self. And, without this work and subtle change in the "wineskin" the vessel is not prepared to recieve a greater and more subtle influx of this "new wine", the Light. We would not be able to connect to it or even truly recieve it. And if even by some chance we might, it for many might as yet be overwhelming and thus there would be a "bursting." Something akin to prematurely awakening the Fire Snake, maybe?

And as we cultivate this new self, this new wineskin, often remnants of the old self seem to want to stick to us, these pesky "patches" trying to remain and become immortalized in us, something of the ego-illusion. Thus there is a deep need as well for continual self-purification and letting go of the old ideas of who and what we think we are, and what we expect this new self to be.

For how can we move into a more subtle and lumious self-identity, while allowing these "patches" to remain? "An old patch is not sewn onto a new garment, because there it would split" Thus, these truly become an obstruction to the cultivation of the Solar Body, and even more so, the Body of Light.

As well, within this verse, as others have spoken to, this I am also hearing speaks to our desire energy. We all desire food, shelter, love, sex. These are natural and wonderful. There is nothing inherently wrong with these things. Yet, in our seeking, who is served by them? Do we feed these deep hungers in us, in a all consuming way, as if to say, "I want it, gimme!" "I want that, so I'm taking it!." This would seem to be the intoxication of the "old wine." The old way of thinking. Do we pursue these things without reguard for our own well-being? Do we simply feed this desire without thought to how it will affect/effect us? Or even how it will affect/effect others?

Thus a need for true and deep surrender to the Light and the Divine within us. "And it is impossible for a servant to serve two masters; otherwise he will honor one and offend the other." Thus we are seeking not to be servants of our desires, but to bring them into service of the Divine. For, as I have said, these desires arent wrong. But, they can be mis-used. But, when given to the Divine, they can become wonderful, blessed vehicles of the Light and we can find such deep fulfillment and wholeness of being.

These were some thoughts, that arose from contemplating this verse, that I felt led to share.

Blessings and Shalom!
Damiean

Marion

kavanah and devekut

#19 Postby Marion » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:29 pm

Dear Damiean,

These are good insights.
This seems to be why we practice, because through practice we make a fit vehicle for grace to move with in and through us. Without this effort grace will not move, and in fact this is a very good thing!
Because, as you say if it were to move and we were not ready it would result in a broken wine skin, hence the effects of premature awakenings of the serpent power. Therefore, we strengthen the body of light so that it is strong enough to hold a greater influx of light. This verse really reminds me of the teaching, The desire to receive is the desire to give. This goes for the development of the body of light as well. Where if there is a sincere desire to receive, grace will nautrally move, because really, we do nothing in and of ourselves. the only way that things happen is if grace moves. More and more I am understanding this, because we may think that if something happends in meditation practice "we" did it, but in reality, we merely created the conditions in which it could happen. This has a lot to do with teachings on desire energy as you bring up. "one cannot serve two masters..." as in, what is within and behind any desire? otherwise, it is like putting new wine into an old wine skin. Let's say we have a desire for a new car. So we get the new car, but then we find that the car becomes not so desireable in a few months, this is because we had another hidden desire behind our desire for the car. How do we bring our desires into service of the divine? we have to be conscious of the hidden desires. it is all about being conscious, then it seems that these things we naturally and spontaneously be uplifted to the divine.

Blessings and Shalom!

Marion

Return to “Gospel of St. Thomas”