The Lord Ascending

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

The Lord Ascending

#1 Postby Tau Malachi » Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:02 am

Some say the Lord died first and then ascended.
They are wrong. He rose first and then died.
Unless you are first resurrected, you will not die.
As God lives, you would already be dead
(Gospel of St. Philip, The Gnostic Bible)

This "death" is not death, but life and liberation - it is cessation from the gilgulim, the potentially endless rounds of transmigration. Indeed, unless one first has the resurrection one cannot enter into repose or cessation, for one is not yet alive, which is to say awakened.

Many good christians hope for the resurrection when they die, and yet the nature of the resurrection is something to be experienced in life, here and now. In fact, if we do not know the resurrection now, in this life, we will not experience it in death or the afterlife. What is this resurrection? It is the generation of the body of light - the development of consciousness beyond the body, the development of the continuity of awareness throughout all states of consciousness. This we can experience here and now, and experiencing it in life we shall experience it when we die - through conscious living we are empowered to conscious dying. Though the idea of our eventual death might frighten us, the truth is that death offers a great opportunity for enlightenment and liberation, if we are prepared for that moment of transition.

This is a great mystery, the resurrection and ascension, the very heart of Christian Gnosticism. Thus we find many practices for the transference of consciousness in the Sophian Tradition, practices that allow us to shift the center of our consciousness into a subtle body of light and to experience consciousness beyond the body, while yet in the body. Engaging in these practices throughout our lives we implant the necessary seeds or impressions in the mind-stream to experience the transference of consciousness out of the body when we die. In other words we generate the necessary positive karma for grace to enter into our dying process - but, then, so also does grace enter into our lives through this form of spiritual practice. As much a developing consciousness beyond the body these practices tend to infuse the body with consciousness - through them we awaken in life so that we might truly live.

Now there is a distinct difference between the Western and Eastern aim and methods of self-realization. In the East the aim and method is to remain in peak experience, to learn to abide in the highest state of consciousness; but that is not exactly our aim of method in the West. Rather, it is to learn to freely shift between various gradations of consciousness, to ascend and descend, to run and return. Instead of an aim to remain in the highest state of consciousness, our aim is to be able to enter higher states of consciousness at will - to be free to shift, and yes to live according to the truth of higher consciousness. The Gnostic Christian path and the Sanctuary of Grace manifest by Yeshua Messiah is specifically designed for this - then, at the time of death, we do, indeed, hope for the divine rapture, the transcendence of the need for physical incarnation.

In this way, one may experience something of the resurrection before one dies, and in so doing one will experience repose or cessation - enlightenment and liberation.

Here we may also point to the possibility of Supernal or Messianic Consciousness while in this body - the experience of an influx of the Supernal Light-presence. Many things are possible for those who seek, for ours is a Union of Grace, and it is Divine Grace that ultimately accomplishes our salvation - our Divine illumination.

Perhaps these thoughts might initiate a line of contemplation...

Blessings & shalom! :)
Tau Malachi
Sophia Fellowship
Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Marion

generation of the body of light

#2 Postby Marion » Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:53 am

Shalom!

I am wondering if this verse is speaking of the nessesity of the experience of the ressurection before death? so that in death, having realised this, one may remain conscious in the dying process and the afterlife? As you say here, it seems as if this ressurection is the generation of the body of light. Which seems to be done through spiritual study and practice. I am reminded of the saying, "Always seek a better ressurection." which relates to what you say of the western way of generation of consciousness beyond the body, where one goes in and out, returning, and running. Rather than the Eastern method of generation and staying in the peak level of consciousness as long as one can. I was also thinking, how can one enter into cessation without first generating the body of light? It seems like the Author of this Gospel is also gamming on the orthodox churches doctrine of only heven after death. Which is reversed in this saying, Heaven here now.
Marion

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

The Kingdom of Heaven

#3 Postby Tau Malachi » Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:25 pm

Greetings Maid Marion!

In the gospels that appear in the orthodox Bible Yeshua often says to the people, "The kingdom of heaven has come near to you this day," likewise, in the Gospel of St. Thomas Yeshua tells us that the kingdom of the Father is spread out upon the earth, but ordinary individuals do not have eyes to see it. Again and again Lord Yeshua points to the kingdom of God here and now - as above, so below; as below, so above.

In the midst of the gnostic and light transmission, when we experience a shift into a higher consciousness, we find that the environment radically changes. The Light that is said to be above is seen everywhere below, we see the Light in our tzaddik, in ourselves, in everyone and everything; we find the World of Supernal Light is within and all around us and that here and now we abide in the Light-kingdom. It is astonishing, as you know in your own experience.

It would seem that we must experience this in life in order to experience it in death and the afterlife. Even if we could experience it in death and the afterlife, who would not desire this experience of the Risen Savior while as yet in this body and life? Indeed, the true purpose of human incarnation is the resurrection and ascension, the development of consciousness beyond the body; hence a conscious evolution that leads to a super or divine humanity, as demostrated by Master Yeshua. As you say, this requires the spiritual life and practice - faith translated into active aspiration, the dynamic surrender to Divine Grace.

"Seek a better resurrection," seek always a higher consciousness and seek constantly to live from a higher consciousness - this is the path of the Great Ascension.

Blessings & shalom! :wink:
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Rebekah

#4 Postby Rebekah » Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:35 pm

Shalom Malachi and Marian!

We seem to go through stages of recognizing the presence of awareness, until we recognize that this presence of awareness is the same presence of awareness in all states. (Indeed, it seems it is the same presence of awareness in all beings!) In our experience, we move through state after state. I'm wondering if the realization of the continuity of the presence of awareness is the recognition that there is but one state and all that occurs, occurs within it?

Blessings!
Rebekah
Sophia Fellowship
O.S.G.

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

One Ground - The Nature of Mind

#5 Postby Tau Malachi » Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:52 pm

Greetings!

Actually, I cannot say that there is "one state," but rather that there is one ground from which all states of consciousness arise, the nature of mind or consciousness itself, which is pure radiant awareness. This, of course, pervades all states of consciousness, yet in effect, until recognized and realized it is potential, not actual.

It is pure (empty), the Ain quality; it is radiant (self-generating), the Ain Sof quality; and it is aware (energetic), the Ain Sof Or quality. This is the one ground of consciousness, from which many states of consciousness arise; hence oneness and multiplicity without any contradiction.

Perhaps in speaking of the presence of awareness we might speak of it as clear light, and the various states or gradations of consciousness as akin to the clear light passing through a prism of light to shine as the rainbow spectrum of light.

The presence of awareness seems to relate to the level of energy present , and to mindfulness and alertness in whatever state of consciousness we might be in - wakefulness.

Of course, in any discourse on this we must bear in mind that the teachings are completely provisional, and that we often bend and manipulate words in the moment in an attempt to communicate something more subtle and sublime to the individual with whom we are speaking - words are deceptive, yet we play with them.

Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Marion

life and death

#6 Postby Marion » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:32 pm

Dear Malachi and Rebekah!

I was contemplating the words, "as God lives, you would already be dead." And I was wondering If it could be contemplated in context of how when one dies in this world, one is born in the world of angels, and when one is born, one dies in the world of angels. could it be thought of in this way? I was also thinking about it in another way. It seems like if one is intimatelyaqainted with the most high, there will not be any room really for the self in its egoistic state, hence "dead" ? the death of the ego self?

Blessings and Shalom!
Marion

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

"Death"

#7 Postby Tau Malachi » Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:00 am

Greetings!

This "death" is repose or cessation, cessation of the egoistic self and that which binds to the gilgulim; hence cessation of the ignorance that leads to self-grasping, lust-greed and fear-hatred.

One who has entered this repose, no doubt, has perception of the world of angels and worlds beyond; hence perception of the spiritual world or perception of That Which Is transpiring behind that which appears.

In this "death" one is truly alive, for one is no longer bound to the limited or finite name and form, but rather is identified with fully evolved and realized being.

Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

THERESA

Gospel of St. Philip

#8 Postby THERESA » Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:56 am

"Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:02 pm Post subject: The Lord Ascending

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some say the Lord died first and then ascended.
They are wrong. He rose first and then died.
Unless you are first resurrected, you will not die.
As God lives, you would already be dead.
(Gospel of St. Philip, The Gnostic Bible)

This "death" is not death, but life and liberation - it is cessation from the gilgulim, the potentially endless rounds of transmigration. Indeed, unless one first has the resurrection one cannot enter into repose or cessation, for one is not yet alive, which is to say awakened.

Having released so much of my Orthodox teachings in the short time I have spent studying Christian Gnosticism, I have come to REALIZE what years ago, in my own personal experiences, I RECOGNIZED as something of an immense value having occurred "within" me, though, even now, the words "within me" do not serve. This body of light of which we speak...this transfer of consciousness...if we are not truly bodies at all, meaning that the Highest experiences of union with God do not actually take place in the body at all...but in a place or plane neither where the body nor the senses reside .... then even the visions of angels or beings of Light are still of the body, or of planes still a part of the consciousness of the body.
So, as we "ASCEND" furthur, in THIS life, we can compare THIS understanding of the word "Ascend" to the Tree of Life, in that we "ascend" to the Higher Worlds of Beriyah and Atliluth, where these "visions" will cease, because there ARE NO symbols in those planes, once having REALIZED Truth, none are needed. Only Infinite Oneness! Ain Sof.........Infinite Beingness.....Union...Love...Light...Peace...Repose...Joy...All ! Ascension is not an actual "going up" in the physical sense, like Orthodox teachings express it to be and does not occur after one "dies" death in the physical sense automatically, though it may. It begins NOW, here!

Good people, and friends of the Fellowship. We have an excellent teacher and guide in dear sir, Tau Malachi. His giftedness speaks to our heart of hearts.

Elder Gideon
Site Admin

Ascending Where?

#9 Postby Elder Gideon » Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:49 am

Shalom Friends!

Quoting Tamara:

"This body of light of which we speak...this transfer of consciousness...if we are not truly bodies at all, meaning that the Highest experiences of union with God do not actually take place in the body at all...but in a place or plane neither where the body nor the senses reside .... then even the visions of angels or beings of Light are still of the body, or of planes still a part of the consciousness of the body."

Any discussion of the resurrection and the nature of the material body is so subtle. Throughout my exposure to Sophian teachings, I've observed many "mixed metaphors" of this mystery, some which affirm that this resurrection is entirely beyond the body while others which affirm that indeed resurrection is now, always and everywhere as the Anointed affirms in saying 77 in the Gospel of Thomas:

I am the Light that is above all. I am the All. From me does the Light come forth and to me does the Light reach. Split a piece and I am there. Lift up a stone and you will find me there."

The enigma of resurrection overlaps deeply with the enigma of ascension. Ascend to where? Surely not through three dimensions, for the "boundaries" of the known universe could not yet be surpassed by Master Yeshua at the speed of light even after two thousand "light years"! Rather, principles of ascension, like resurrection, seem to point more consistently to dimensionality, where diverse planes of Being are in fact "distinct", but occupy the same space. javascript:emoticon(':shock:') Goodness! Such mystery!

In this regard, consider the seven interior star centers, all being dimensional gradations of Mochin (Divine Mind) activated within the same space of the individual. Though they are arrayed vertically, Root up to Crown, they can be contemplated concentrically: Crown encompassing Root or Root encompassing Crown. Either way, the gate between the upper three stars and the lower three stars is the Heart, Seat of the Light Indweller (Indwelling Christ). Ascension, then can be vertically conceived, bearing an aspect of truth, while equally true is the immanence, the-always-has-been-and-always-will-be aspect of Ascension in the very seat in which you're now sitting!

As we hear in the Sophian blessing:
"May the Divine Presence walk WITH us and manifest AS us."

Shabbat Shalom!

Brothersmiley

Tamara

#10 Postby Tamara » Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:53 am

Sorry, Brother, that was Theresa, not me. :)

Tamara
Student, tell me: what is God? The breath within the breath.

THERESA

Ascension

#11 Postby THERESA » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:06 am

Hello, Brother Smiley :D
There is no right or wrong of it, other than concepts being inadequate, however well worded they may be. It reminds me of how St. Thomas Aquinas was affected when after years of amazing written works with regard to such complex mysteries, had an experience that left him virtually speechless, except to say that all that he had written previously was as nothing compared to what he now knew. I feel that using the Christian Kabbalah System as a model works well with the CONCEPTS I myself am somewhat comfortable working with, considering my own path and experiences.
Yet I RELATE, I guess would be the word, to experiences "out-of-time" in a way that they contribute to my being "in-time" in a more profound sense than I did before. "Lift a rock and I am there", now Means something to me, the presence of eternity in this very moment, but Only since the Eternal was made known to me. Why, I'm not sure, but never before was I present to life as I have been since then. Perhaps it is that the Concept of NOW was replaced by the Experience of the Eternal Now, making the "Now in-time" Also a Reality and no longer a Concept. However, I certainly agree that Resurrection does begin NOW, in WHATEVER sense we understand "NOW". We are still embodied beings, afterall. And, REALIZING, ( which comes AFTER recognizing, if I have understood the teachings properly) I recognize that we must each embrace what WE, as individuals, have realized, always respectful of the experiences of others, and very grateful for the opportunity to share the understandings and experiences of others, as I am most grateful to share in yours. I feel very blessed even to have a place to discuss these wonderous mysteries such as we all do.
Radiance and Abundance,
Theresa

Elder Gideon
Site Admin

#12 Postby Elder Gideon » Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:01 pm

Shalom Theresa!

I too am grateful for any opportunity to share and converse with such insightful individuals in this forum! All are upgraded in so many ways because of this!

There seems to be no beginning without concepts. This is faith, "the evidence of things hoped for", where we aim ourselves and articulate an intuition of an experience not yet fully had and embodied. I'm grateful that you cited the most inspiring and famous example of this in St. Thomas Aquinas; if he could surrender all he'd "accomplished" in faith to (what certainly sounds like direct) pure, Gnostic Being, may we all be so empowered in this path into the One Without End!javascript:emoticon(':)')

Gratefully,

Brothersmiley

THERESA

Ascension

#13 Postby THERESA » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:32 pm

AMEN, to that, dear Brother, and all. :)

Radiance and Abundance,
Theresa

Return to “The Gospel of St. Philip”