Live like you have nothing to lose

Moderator: Brother Christopher

Yonah

Live like you have nothing to lose

#1 Postby Yonah » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:17 pm

Greetings!

Last weekend and through this week, Ma has been giving me a contemplation based on a word she gave. The message I heard was “live like you have nothing to lose”. There are so many things she has spoken and have become clear as the head of the year has moved into 2015.

First I am drawn to Romans 12:2 – “Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.” I see conforming to the pattern of the world having to do conforming to the mindset of non-spiritual humanity which has a lot to do with living in fear – fear of not having material things, fear of death, fear of pain, fear of {fill in the blank}. So if instead we are transformed by the renewing of our mind, are we living in faith and knowledge of our relationship to God? This seems to be a state where we don’t fear but instead live in the big picture which is in the end our enlightenment and liberation. What is more important?

I also think about logion 42 of Gospel of Thomas – “Jesus said: Become passers-by!” I don’t believe this points to us not living in the world, quite the contrary. I believe we can live in this world and even have possessions, but our mindset is that this is only temporary and that everything we do and everything we have is really for the glory of El Elyon (God Most High). We know that the work happens in incarnation, but this work involves letting go of attachment and aversion and turning toward who we really are in the Light Continuum.

Both of these passages tell me that we really have nothing to lose. Nothing we own and even this body is not truly ours. It’s almost like we are renting it all. Someday it will all have to return to whom it really belongs and we will be on our way to our next destination.

I want to live without fear and spend every minute of every day living for God and for the Second Coming. In the end, what else matters? I urge us all to look at what we fear and what do we really have to lose? If we let go of our fear I think there is only gain.

Shalom, Yonah
Shalom,
Yonah
EPS Columbus Gathering

BrandonLw

Re: Live like you have nothing to lose

#2 Postby BrandonLw » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:25 pm

Shalom,

"Live with nothing to lose" brings to mind the aspect of "leaping." Leaping in imagery, one gets a sense of a wholeness of entering, both feet removed from their station, arms in movement, torso, head and face directing forward, a fullness of extension and crossing from toes to crown. Entering with all.

I appreciate the mention of fear here. It is said that "the fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom (Psalm 111:10) I suspect some of what the psalmist is speaking of here is in the word shared of living with nothing to lose. I recently shared and again will add how fascinated I am with these things that unnecessarily tie energy down, such as fears we may inherit "from the pattern of this world." I feel that in the fear of the Lord, is the desire to unify with the Lord, the willingness to awe and wonder and humility and spiritual self-worth. It has been said this fear is replaced with love, and this is good news. If I fear and love the Lord, perhaps I will do the good work, and find the root of the fears in me, willing to bring them to cessation.

"But to you who fear my name, the sun of righteousness will rise with healing in its wings; and you will break out leaping, like calves released from the stall." (Malachi 3:20)

Amen to leaving the stall.

-Brandon

Elder Gideon
Site Admin

#3 Postby Elder Gideon » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:52 am

Shalom Brothers!

This word you've heard, +Yonah, is most helpful and clear. I sincerely appreciate your sharing it with us all, as it compliments Mother's word to us this new year of "Shifting Directions and Leaping."

The pattern of the world you've quoted from St. Paul is indeed one anchored in fear. Even as industrial societies continue to secularize, the problems attributed to religion endure. When I consider how the Hebrew prophets taught of idols as lifeless magnets of fear, I'm fully convinced that idols endure in our time. While contemporary people might scoff at protection from physical statues and fetishes, the form these fears take now are in our patterns of consumption. Most any ad today begins with a need, a lack, beyond which is simple fear. Believing that buying this will alleviate the need, the lack, is precisely the same anthropology today with which ancient people related with fear.

These problems are all instinctual fears we as sentient beings will never escape, apart from a bigger picture transcendent of us. I just happened to ask my Hebrew instructor about the connotation of the words flatly translated in English as 'fear.' Pahad פַּחַד is instinctual, shared with animals fearing capture or harm. Yirah יִרְאָה is respectful, spiritual, as in the Psalm you insightfully quoted, Brandon. We could completely read, Awe is the beginning of wisdom.

It suddenly occurs to me that when we fear, God provides by the very same letters spelling 'awe', as when Isaac said to his father Abraham, ‘Father!’ And he said, ‘Here I am, my son.’ He said, ‘The fire and the wood are here, but where is the lamb for a burnt-offering?’ Abraham said, ‘God himself will provide the lamb for a burnt-offering, my son.’ (Genesis 22:7-8). Elohim yireh: God will provide: אֱלֹהִים יִרְאֶה

The One we fear is the One who provides.

Elder Gideon

Martina

#4 Postby Martina » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:53 am

Greetings and Blessings, Dear Friends!

Much gratitude to Our Mother for these beautiful and uplifting contemplations!

What stands out to me in resonance to them, is the mindset of the children of Israel before the parting of the Red Sea:

“When Pharaoh drew near, the people of Israel lifted up their eyes, and behold, the Egyptians were marching after them, and they feared greatly. And the people of Israel cried out to the Lord. They said to Moses, “Is it because there are no graves in Egypt that you have taken us away to die in the wilderness? What have you done to us in bringing us out of Egypt? Is not this what we said to you in Egypt: ‘Leave us alone that we may serve the Egyptians’? For it would have been better for us to serve the Egyptians than to die in the wilderness.”

And Moses said to the people, “Fear not, stand firm, and see the salvation of the Lord, which he will work for you today. For the Egyptians whom you see today, you shall never see again. The Lord will fight for you, and you have only to be silent.” The Lord said to Moses, “Why do you cry to me? Tell the people of Israel to go forward.
Lift up your staff, and stretch out your hand over the sea and divide it, that the people of Israel may go through the sea on dry ground.” (Exodus 14:10-16)

This describes so vividly our fears in the unenlighted condition. In ourselfs there seems to be no way out of the situation. But in faith and understanding a way opens that was not there before and we are safed. To “stand firm” seems to speak of renewed faith with focussed intention instead of a mind scattered in fear.

Bishop Yohah shared: “I see conforming to the pattern of the world having to do conforming to the mindset of non-spiritual humanity which has a lot to do with living in fear – fear of not having material things, fear of death, fear of pain, fear of {fill in the blank}. So if instead we are transformed by the renewing of our mind, are we living in faith and knowledge of our relationship to God?”

This passage from Exodus seems to speak clearly about our need for such a transformation. How wonderful Elder Gideon speaks of this transformation from fear (Pachad) to awe (Yirah) to faith (Elohim yireh) embedded in Hebrew.

May all be transformed by the love of God!

I am grateful for any corrections.

In gratitude,
Shabbat Shalom,
Martina
Martina

sheryl
Site Admin

#5 Postby sheryl » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:47 am

Shabbat Shalom, Brothers and Sisters!

Praise to our Mother for providing this wonderful Shabbat contemplation! I am thoroughly enjoying the insights that you all have shared.

The revelation Bishop +Yonah received, live like you have nothing to lose , like with Sister Martina, brought to mind fear not. This often spoken phrase is frequently followed with for God is with you or God is your shield. The Hebrew word translated as fear not is yare' יָרֵא or yod resh aleph. It is curious that yirah or awe, which Elder Gideon introduces above, is יִרְאָה, the previous word for fear with an added hei.

Hei brings to mind window, beholding, seeing, being still, present: hineini, the still small voice. Seeing that God is indeed with us.

My thoughts are taken to the most known usage of fear not in the Bible. In Luke, when the angels announce the birth of Christ to the shepherds:

Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.

For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Adonai Messiah.

Something is being heard as though new - this transformation that Elder Gideon and Sister Martina are also seeing. Fear becoming Awe symbolized by the added Hei. Perhaps we can thus say that fear becomes Awe through the presence of awareness, seeing, knowing that God is with us?

Although fear not was spoken often by messengers of God in the Old Testament, responded to with hei or awareness by the blessed prophets of old, this speaking feels to be something new, a shift, an empowerment with the coming of the Messiah. Perhaps we can say this is in part moving away from the Law to Grace. Away from fear to Awe. Away from focusing on what might be lost, what might happen in this world, to hei: beholding, to being present and still, to seeing, to hearing the still small voice.

Shifting directions and leaping suddenly has a different feel, one of stillness, of rest in the midst of changes, even radical changes.

Praise to God for these delightful thoughts! Any additions or corrections will be received gratefully.

Sheryl

BrandonLw

#6 Postby BrandonLw » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:44 pm

A fine point! A final Heh (beyond its grammatical implications) can also (as I recall from teaching) imply the presence of the Shekinah. God's presence and power with the people, transforming into awe. Fear and trembling in the presence, joined (as mentioned above) to this aspect of "CHaZaK" or "wait! Stand firm!" (Gates of Light) which promises the coming of deliverance.

Yare (fear not), the presence and power of the Lord is coming in Yireh (awe)!

Curious too how this might relate to the teachings regarding the Bride.

Praise God,

Brandon

Return to “Gnosis and Gnosticism”