Saying 14 & 15: Human & Christ

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Saying 14 & 15: Human & Christ

#1 Postby Tau Malachi » Wed May 12, 2004 7:13 pm

Some say that Mary conceived by the Holy Spirit: they are mistaken, they do not realize what they say. When did a female ever conveive by a female? Mary is the Virgin whom the forces did not defile. Her existence is an anathema to the Hebrew, meaning the apostles and apostolic persons. This virgin whom the forces did not defile [...] forces defiled themselves. And the Lord would not say, "My Father who is in the heavens," if he did not have a second father: rather he would just have said. "My Father." (Gospel of St. Philip, sayings 14 & 15)

The central point of both these two sayings reflects a view common to several schools of Christian Gnosticism which hold that Yeshua (Aramaic for Jesus) was conceive in a natural way by Joseph and Mary, and that he was fully human before becoming Christed. This is also reflected in two of the gospels that appear in the Bible, the Gospel of St. Mark and Gospel of St. John, both of which mention nothing of any "Immaculate Conception," but cite the entrance of the Soul of the Messiah at the time of the baptism by John in the River Jordan.

In Hebrew the Holy Spirit and Holy Shekinah are feminine - thus the very idea of an "Immaculate Conception" of a woman by the Holy Spirit would not occur to a Hebrew initiate's mind, which reflects original Christianity - a primarily Hebrew spiritual movement, likely founded upon Jewish mysticism (Merkavah Mysticism and Kabbalah).

This idea is echoed again and again throughout Gnostic Scriptures - Yeshua was born a man, had spiritual teachers, and eventually embodied a higher form of enlightement than was previously embodied in the succession of prophets - hence the Gnostic and Light-transmission of the apostolic succession.

Several Gnostic Traditions, such as the Sophian Tradition, do utilize Mother Mary as a symbolic personification of the Virgin of Light or Mother Sophia in their myth cycles and teachings, yet generally speaking the Immaculate Conception and Virgin Birth are not taken literally as in many orthodox and fundamental forms of Christianity. In fact, the over emphasis on the Virgin Mary is seen by many Christian Gnostics as something of a conspiracy by the outer and unspiritual church to obscure the more significant role of St. Mary Magdalene in the Christ revelation.

Generally speaking, as reflected by these sayings, Gnostic Christians view the Divine Incarnation or dawn of Christ consciousness as beginning with the baptism - for however great a soul, or however high a grade of soul, every time a soul enters into this world it is born unenlightened and must unfold the enlightement experience. This was equally true of Master Yeshua from a Gnostic perspective.

Blessings & shalom!
Tau Malachi
Sophia Fellowship
Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

JoAnn305

Re: Saying 14 & 15: Human & Christ

#2 Postby JoAnn305 » Thu May 13, 2004 5:28 am

Hello Malachi;
I always thought that The Holy Spirit was both male and female.
And that which decends of the Father would have the essence of the Father, which would imply male.

I also thought that she was conceived by the 'Power of the Holy Spirit.' To me that means that the conception was a Holy Conception (that it was of Gods Idea).

I have always wondered what kind of marriage Mary and Joseph had, because to me marriage is not a marriage unless consumated.

The Virgin Birth as meaning "A birth being pure."

I agree that the teachings of the outer church has misconstrued the whole essence of the conception and birth of Jesus.

I have contemplated these things long. Glad you brought them up. Maybe you can further clarify my thoughts..

Love and Blessings!
JoAnn305

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Holy Spirit

#3 Postby Tau Malachi » Thu May 13, 2004 9:37 am

Greetings Joann!

In Greek the word for the Spirit is neither male nor female, but in Hebrew the Holy Spirit and Shekinah are the feminine aspect of God; hence the term Mother Spirit common to Christian Gnosticism.

Obviously, God is trascendent of gender. In our experience of God there is both the Impersonal and Personal aspect; and in the Person of God we experience Father and Mother, Male and Female. The Father is the transcendent aspect and the Mother is the immanent aspect; hence the feminine quality of the Holy Spirit and Shekinah. Consider the phrase "being reborn of the Holy Spirit," as Yeshua speaks of it to Nichodemus in chapter three of the Gospel of St. John. The very idea of rebirth suggests the feminine, as though the Holy Spirit is womb-like.

In this light what is significant is that the Trinity is not all male, but represents Father, Son and Mother Spirit; the Son emerging from the union of the Father and Mother Spirit. In Gnosticism we also speak of the Holy Tetrad of the Heavenly Father, Earthly Mother, Spiritual Sun and Holy Spirit. In this model the Holy Spirit is the Daughter and Bride.

The masters of the tradition tell us that the Father is the invisible and concealed, and that the Mother is the visible and revealed. In terms of the Father and Holy Spirit, the Holy Spirit is what we directly experience of God and Godhead, at least in the language of Christian Gnosticism.

Dialogues on Virgin Birth, like the resurrection, are primarily conceived of as purely spiritual among Christian Gnostics: hence the idea of a spiritual rebirth. At the baptism when Christ enters into Lord Yeshua, Christ emerges from the Virgin of Light, the Light-Seed of the Father in the form of the Dove, and he is reborn Yeshua Messiah in the womb of the Holy Spirit - in this context we speak of a Immaculate Conception and Virgin Birth, and all Christed ones share in this Virgin Birth. If we are told by Lord Yeshua to leave behind earthly father and mother, sister and brother, then surely we have a Spiritual Father and Mother; hence the Living Father and Holy Spirit.

Indeed, as you say, one way we can contemplate rebirth in the Holy Spirit is in the context of a Divine Thought placed into us, which is what activates the Fiery Intelligence in us - the power of the Holy Spirit. This Thought is as the Seed of the Father, and the Holy Spirit is as the womb within which the Christos is born in us.

As for the relationship between Mary and Joseph. One legend proposes that they were part of a mystical circle and knew the ways of the Arayot (sexual mysticism). In the mysteries of the Arayot there are ways a man and woman can unite in their love to draw a soul of a higher grade or a great soul of Light into incarnation. These methods are still used to help bring Light-bearers into the world by some initiates who know this mysteries, or so it is said. This legend is pointing to the soul of a higher grade in Yeshua from the outset, while pointing to the baptism as the Divine Incarnation or Virgin Birth speaks of the unfolding enlightenment experience.

From the histories of various great adepts and masters we know not all have ideal families; however it is part of the Gnostic myth cycle that Yeshua emerges from an ideal family, but then that is true of the setting of the whole Gospel, reflecting something of the Pleroma of Light.

The delight of Gnostic Christianity is that it may be kept very simple, yet for those inclined it can become an adventure into the depths of the mysteries. It can range from an experience of a general spirituality and spirit-connectedness to a full pursuit of the enlightement experience. From a Gnostic perspective what you mention is not mistaken, what I've shared merely represents a further contemplation and exploration of the mystery - such is the nature of Gnosticism. It is simply charcteristic of Gnosticism to view the Holy Spirit as the Mother Spirit, reflecting Gnostic cosmology, metaphysics and the myths that communicate them.

Hope this is helpful.... :D

Blessings & shalom!
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

lleyr

#4 Postby lleyr » Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:30 pm

Wasn't the idea of Yeshua being born human and later Christied common among the early Christians until the Council of Nicea when they decided that the official stance should be that Jesus was born already deity?

I know the Aryan contingent thought so and was declared heretical by the Council. Since they were backed by Constantine, they won!

Blessings, Mark

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

The Original Faith

#5 Postby Tau Malachi » Sat Jul 24, 2004 9:47 am

Hi Mark!

Yes, as I understand it, you are correct, original Christianity did not believe or teach that Jesus was divine or enlightened from birth, but rather that he became Christed at the baptism by John in the Jordan River. His deification at birth was a later invention, which in turn lead to the very strange deification that has been passed down by orthodox and fundamental forms of Christianity.

Of course, in terms of the Divine Incarnation we are speaking about a great mystery. The problem is that rather than entertain the abiguous nature of mystery we have a tendency to over simplification - this has been the great weakness of orthodoxy and fundamentalism, which caters to the faithful or psychic individuals rather than to the spiritual or elect.

Aside from this deification of Jesus from birth, another example is the removal of teachings on reincarnation which were also part of original Christianity. Essentially, rather than the teachings of the Gospel from the College of the Holy Ghost, what has been passed on is simplified preschool version!

Blessings and shalom!
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Return to “The Gospel of St. Philip”