Jesus the Mother

Elder Gideon
Site Admin

Jesus the Mother

#1 Postby Elder Gideon » Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:49 pm

Greetings Eternal Beings!

Thus the Word of the Father goes forth into all, being the fruit of his heart and expression of his will. It supports all. It chooses them [Elect] and also takes the character of all and purifies them, causing them to return to the Father, to the Mother, Jesus of the utmost sweetness. The Father opens his bosom, and his bosom is the Holy Spirit. (Gospel of Truth "The Father's Son is Jesus of Utmost Sweetness")

The English teacher in me responds very differently to the grammar of the "Word...choosing...purifying...and causing them... [Eternal Beings or Elect] to return to the Father, to the Mother, Jesus of the utmost sweetness." While it appears that "the return of all Elect" in the moment of Gnosis is to all three--Father, Mother and Jesus--what the grammar here seems to be modifying is Jesus as the Mother, equating Her with Jesus by way of "sweetness". How? This perception considers the fact that while the Holy Spirit is named occassionally in the Gospel of Truth, while the mystery of Father within/as the Son is the thesis and ground of this particular (and most specatular!) Gospel; the word "Mother" is never named as the Mother except in this instant. The translators Barnstone and Meyer even title the subchapter of this moment equating (the Mother with) "Jesus of Utmost Sweetness".

I'm therefore inspired to run with the first feeling when I first read this, that the Valentinian author is equating Yeshua with the Mother. This is fascinating with many, many flowered paths to meander and explore.

Your delights and insights are invited!

May our Mother reveal Yeshua the Spiritual Sun within and as us!

Brothersmiley

Tamara

#2 Postby Tamara » Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:43 am

Greetings, Brother!

I'm of 2 minds about how to interpret this passage. On one hand, a great being would embody fully qualities of both mother and father, so you could certainly interpret Jesus as Mother, but my first inclination is to assume a simple omission, the word "to", making the passage "to the Father, to the Mother, to Jesus of the utmost sweetness."

This results in a more balanced picture; Father, Mother, Divine Child (I love "Jesus of the utmost sweetness"--sounds very Gaelic, doesn't it?) or Hokmah, Binah and Tiferet.

Then the Father opens His bosom and His bosom is the Holy Spirit (the Mother) and Jesus rests in the Mother's bosom. What lovely, tender phrasing.

Shalom,
Tamara
Student, tell me: what is God? The breath within the breath.

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Jesus - the Word

#3 Postby Tau Malachi » Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:29 am

Greetings Michael & Tamara!

I cannot say that I see a missing word, nor can I say that I interpret the saying to mean Jesus is the Mother; rather, the Living Word that returns souls to the Father and to the Mother is "Jesus of utmost sweetness."

Jesus rests in the Mother, the Holy Spirit, and restores the elect to the Holy Spirit; likewise, embodying the gnosis of the Father, he restores to the Father - this is the power of the Word of God.

If I were to speak of Jesus as the image of the Mother, it would be based on the word for compassion in Hebrew and Aramaic, the root for which implies wombishness: as the embodiment of love and compassion, as the sanctuary of Divine Grace, Jesus is like a holy womb in whom a new humanity is conceived.

One master of wisdom, speaking of the compassion of the Lord says that as Christians we ought to "all be Mothers" - of course, Sophians would naturally answer, "Amen, brother!"

May we all be wombs of God, and be as the Holy Mother, amen.

Blessings & shalom!
Tau Malachi
Sophia Fellowship
Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Jarrek Maldune

#4 Postby Jarrek Maldune » Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:46 pm

The name yeshua, namely the shin, as refrencing the holy mother comes to mind. perhaps it is a reference to his nurturing nature and as bearer of the shekinah. :?: but i'm still a baby in these things :?

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Greetings

#5 Postby Tau Malachi » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:54 am

Greetings and welcome Jarrek!

Yes, indeed, Shin may be viewed as the Divine Feminine energy - Mother and Bride.

Blessings & shalom!
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Julie Smith

#6 Postby Julie Smith » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:33 pm

Greetings All!

Just realized in reading through this conversation that it was a bit old, but had a thought in regards to it that I thought I might share.

The text says:

Thus the Word of the Father goes forth into all, being the fruit of his heart and expression of his will. It supports all. It chooses them [Elect] and also takes the character of all and purifies them, causing them to return to the Father, to the Mother, Jesus of the utmost sweetness. The Father opens his bosom, and his bosom is the Holy Spirit. (Gospel of Truth "The Father's Son is Jesus of Utmost Sweetness")

Perhaps it is saying that the will of the Father, since he supports all and they are an expression of the fruit of his heart, and since he chooses them and purifies them, he causes them to return to the heart of the Father and the Mother as Jesus (Christ-self) of the utmost sweetness. In other words, the purifying of the elect is a joining them in return to their true bornless nature--their Christ self, thus they return in ascension in the image and sweetness of Jesus (Christ).

The last part is so beautiful. What does the Father carry in his heart but the beautiful Shekinah, the Mother?! And we are carried along by the beautiful love of the bridal chamber!

May we all know and experience this kind of love!
Blessings!

Julie Smith

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Utmost Sweetness

#7 Postby Tau Malachi » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:22 am

Salutations in the Light of the Messiah!

As we prepare to celebrate the Feat of the Baptism, taking the theme of the call of the Holy Bride from exile and her exaltation, this passage of the Gospel of Truth resonates deeply with our theurgic movement – there is, indeed, an image of the Bridal Chamber. According to the Holy Kabbalah, a stirring below creates a stirring above, union below brings about union above; although the Holy Bride is not mentioned, she is directly implies, for one cognomen of Kallah, Malkut, is “Community of Israel,” Community of the Elect, and according to this passage the Community of the Elect is uplifted to the Father (Abba) and Mother (Imma) in Yeshua Messiah.

Yeshua of utmost sweetness – supernal mercy and grace, embodies the Father (Abba) in the form of the Holy Dove, the Mother, Imma Shekinah; and assuming the form of the Son of the Human One, the Son joins with Nukva Shekinah, the Daughter, and she becomes Kallah, the Bride – when the Bridegroom and Bride are united in the Bridal Chamber, the Son becomes the Father and the Daughter becomes the Mother, the Continuum of Supernal Light Transmission in the world uplifts the lower world into the upper world, unifying the lower with the upper, the Supernal Abode, the Pleroma of Light.

This is the unification of Tiferet and Malkut, or Zer Anpin and Nukva, spoken of in the Kabbalah – in this union Malkut is joined to Binah, Nukva is enthroned upon Imma, the Lower and Upper Shekinah being restored to unity (Yichud, Achad).

In the word Achad, One, the Alef is the Father-Mother, Het is the appearance of the Son emanating into all realms, worlds and universes, and Dalet is the Bride – the substance or elements of all uplifted and redeemed.

In classical Gnostic terms, this is the redemption of Pistis Sophia and her restoration to her proper abode, and yet more, her exaltation to the place of the Virgin of Light – the Mother or the Pleroma or Atzilut.

This passage reminds of the kavvanot within and behind Hallelu Yah – “praise” is Malkut, Nukva and Kallah, and “Yah” is Abba-Imma; intoning Hallelu Yah the Mekubal concentrates on the union of Malkut with Hokmah-Binah, Malkut unified with the Supernals. Praise the Lord!

In the awareness of the mystery, through the power of faith and gnosis, in praise and thanksgiving – adoration, this ascent in consciousness and unification is brought about; this is the power of true worship, the worship of God in spirit and truth.

This seems a well timed contemplation given the Holy Feast we are about to celebrate – with the descent of the Holy Dove, the Supernal Influx, the Holy Bride is called in from her long exile and all is purified and sanctified, transformed and uplifted, *redeemed*.

Now we can say something about the zelem (image) of the Bridal Chamber in Christian Gnosticism and Kabbalah – it is the zelem of Supernal Adam, the Human One who is male and female, the image and likeness of Yahweh Elohim. Although often in modern times the stories of the love-play of the Groom and Bride are taken in a literal way, the Bridal Chamber, in fact, is the unification of a human being in her or himself, which brings about the unification of the human being with God, the True Light – as taught in the Gospel of St. Thomas, it is the “solitary” or authentic individual who enters into the Bridal Chamber, and it is one who “resembles” the holy angels of God as taught in canonical scriptures.

In terms of the mystery of the Bridal Chamber, one is reminded of Enoch of whom it is said that he “walked with Ha-Shem” and was taken up by Ha-Shem without tasting death; interestingly enough, this exactly is the promise to the solitary individual who understands the secret sayings of the Gospel of St. Thomas, that they “will not experience death.”

Here we can give an esoteric interpretation of all of this – receiving the influx of the Mother’s Force, the Divine Light from above or Supernal Chrism (Anointing), the Serpent Power or Fiery Intelligence in us is awakened, uplifted and redeemed; the result of this is the generation of the Solar Body of the Resurrection, the Body of Light, and the development of consciousness beyond the body – shifting the center of our consciousness into the Body of Light, this zelem in the Bridal Chamber, we can then enter into the repose of perfect union. In this Body of Light we can dissolve like a rainbow merging with the sky – we can pass into Clear Light Union, pure radiant awareness (Body of Truth, Amet).

The Divine Light from above of the Groom, Messiah, the Serpent uplifted and redeemed is the Holy Bride, the Tower of the Flock, Shekinah of Messiah – the Bridal Chamber is this Body of Light, with these twin forces united, through which the soul enters into full unification with God the True Light (Clear Light). Hallelu Yah!

May all be uplifted with the Tower of the Flock in Hayyah Yeshua – the Risen Messiah; amen.

Blessings & shalom!
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Merlin

#8 Postby Merlin » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:37 am

I know this is an old topic for the group, but I am new to this forum and am having a wonderful time exploring all this "Treasury of Light"! You all are wonderful and wise, and I look forward to learning from you!

I wonder if this passage could be referring to a vision I once had and the interpretation I made of it:

I saw Light, an endless Sea of Light, in the heights and Light streaming out as golden rivers of living energy. Each "river" descended into a silvery open bud, each of which emanated from a vast silver Sea of Water in the depths. Each bud was initially dark, silver-indigo, but, when the Light took root within it, it became a brilliant Red Rose streaked with White. I interpreted the Bud as YHVH, the Light as Shin, and the resultant Rose as YHShVH, with the Threefold Light at it's heart. Could it be that these "Yeshuas" are the Christ Consciousness born in the heart of all the enlightened?

A similar vision I had involved the birth of a Star in the bosom of Space from the condensation of a surrounding cloud of Light....

Blessings of Awen, of the Love of Heaven, of the Peace of Earth, and of the Balance and Harmony of The Most Holy Spirit.

Sincerely in Love, Fellowship, and Good Will,

Merlin
Deus Lux Solis

Merlin

#9 Postby Merlin » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:53 am

Forgive what I am certain is a naive question,

In reference to my last post, can YHVH represent the "God of the World", born of and emanating the Four Elements, with Shin (which strikes me as a masculine energy, although tradition doesn't label It as such) being a masculine, impregnating force which transforms the ones of the Elemental Creation (how we start) with gnostic revelation, transforming us from citizens of YHVH to YHShVH consciousness? If this is the case, could YHVH, as an idea, be the Demiurge of the gnostics, while YHShVH, as an idea, represents the movement beyond that stage?

Blessings of Awen.

In love and brotherhood,

Merlin
Deus Lux Solis

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Yahweh, the Light Continuum

#10 Postby Tau Malachi » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:57 am

There are, indeed, layers and layers of meaning in the Great Name of Yahweh - it can, and does, have an elemental correspondence, but in the tradition, typically speaking, it is not the arising of the fundamental elements in their impurity, the perception of the world as generated by the vision of ignorance, but rather, it is the arising of the primordial elements in their innate purity, as in what we call the Great Vision of Melchizedek or Hayyah Yeshua, the Risen Messiah; hence, the primordial elements arising in non-dual realization, and the perception of reality from that View.

The play of the arising of the five elements, fundamental or primordial, is however, within the final He of the Great Name - the play of Malkut or Shekinah, and Olam Ha-Asiyah.

In the Christian Kabbalah, or in a Jewish-Christian Gnostic tradition, Yahweh is not viewed as the demiurge, though misconceptions of Yahweh, or distortions of the Divine Vision, are associated with the demiurge. Yahweh, literally, means "That Which Was, Is and forever Shall Be," and is often translated in our tradition as the "Light Continuum."

In the tradition, there is said to be a play between the Spirit of Yahweh and Spirit of the Dragon - of course, we are speaking about one and the same Force, whether viewed in non-dual realization or in dualism; the cosmic ignorance or illusion of separation being personified as the demiurge.

As an indication of the Force, rather than a noun, Yahweh is a verb - an action or movement, and is an indication of the Force in Supernal Consciousness, the non-dual realization, for as we learn in the Kabbalah, the letters of the Tetragrammaton indicate the five Olamot from Adam Kadmon to Asiyah; the realm of Yichud (Unity) and Perud (Separation), all emanation, all creation, is this One Being-Consciousness-Force manifesting in infinite diversity.

Quite naturally, then, Yahweh would include the demiurge or god of this world, for Yahweh is the source of all, and is manifest as all, though at one and the same time Yahweh is transcendent of all.

If we look into the elemental correspondences of the four letters of The Name, curiously enough what we find is the image of a great thunderstorm moving across the open desert - Yod, the thunder and lightening, He, the clouds and rain, Vau, the air, the winds and the space between the clouds and earth, and He final, the earth. This image is taken up in psalms, for example; though we we know, Yahweh is not the storm, but is the Force behind it, the Force that moves with, in and through it.

Now, in terms of the Blessed Name of Yeshua, it literally means "Yahweh delivers," and we may say that it indicates an awakened center of Yahweh; as emanations of Yahweh, the Light Continuum, awakening, we become Yeshua.

Among the symbols of this awakening is, indeed, a ruby rose upon a golden solar cross - the Light from above activating the Fiery Intelligence in us, uplifting it and redeeming it, as it were; this gives rise to the Great Vision, the vision of the arising of the pure primordial elements, the vision of Supernal Malkut in union with Supernal Tiferet.

Now we may say this - all the while this world is the emanation of Yahweh (the Light Continuum), the Light that is above being everywhere below, the Pleroma of Light being on earth as it is in heaven, it is only that in ignorance we do not have eyes to see it, therefore looking, what we see is the shadow land, karmic vision.

May all beings be illumined by the Spiritual Sun, self-radiant with the glory of the of God, the True Light, embodied; amen.

Blessings & shalom!
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Merlin

#11 Postby Merlin » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:22 pm

Thanks for that explanation. That makes a lot of sense to me. I think that my conception some part or perception of Yahweh being potentially synonymous with the Demiurge comes from some of the commentaries which have been written concerning the "Old Testament God" versus the "New Testament God". I have even heard it said that the "Old Testament God" (referring specifically to Yahweh) is The Demiurge and is the Evil One seeking to mislead. This person went on to claim that all kabbalistic/Mosaic thinking and teaching should be dismissed for this reason. I personally dismissed this argument as likely being pure rubbish, but was gratified to get your feedback.

A bit off topic, but as we are discussing Holy Names, what are your personal interpretations of IAO and IEOU? Also, what of the Holy Name listed in the Secret Book of John?

Blessings of Awen!

Sincerely in Love and Fellowship,

Merlin
Deus Lux Solis

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

IAO

#12 Postby Tau Malachi » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:39 am

First, it must be said that we must always remember that what has come to be called "Gnosticism" represents many different schools of thought, some of which were very radical schools of thought - it is a catch-word for all that wasn't "orthodox" or did not end up in the "mainstream" of thought. Thus, there were, indeed, Gnostic schools that thought of Yahweh as the demiurge, and schools that were very dualistic and anti-world, anti-nature. As I explain in Living Gnosis, our tradition does not follow that line of thought.

In terms of the diverse Gnostic scriptures, some are very strange, to say the least - the Second Treatise of the Great Seth being a fine example of a rather odd school of thought.

The Revelation of John comes from the Sethian School, which also appears to have given rise to the Gospel of Judas - while we may take inspiration from Sethian texts, they are not central to the Sophian Gnostic tradition.

Now, IAO is a Divine Name that holds deep mysteries in our lineage - this morning I can only comment briefly on it as our Shabbat gathering draws near and companions will soon be arriving. However, this is the Mystic Word of the Resurrection and Ascension, the Mystic Name of the Light-presence we call Christ or Messiah, and it is the sound attributed to the three holy letters composing the Great Name of Yahweh, Yod-He-Vau, respectively.

"I" corresponds to the Mother, who receiving the Light Seed of the Father gives birth to the Spiritual Sun, and" A" corresponds with the agent of death and destruction, the power of the mystical death, which is cessation; "O" corresponds to the ressurection and ascension of the Spiritual Sun, the dawn of Supernal or Messianic Consciousness in that womb of cessation or emptiness - enlightenment and liberation, eternal life.

In much the same way as the Blessed Name of Yeshua, IAO is a Name of an awakened center of Yahweh - an active force of Truth and Light.

The idea of something actualized and realized is represented by vowel sounds, for vowels activate letters making speech possible.

In the tradition, the inner forum of the Threefold Rite of Initiation occurs through the intonement of a Mystic Word, Radiant Holy Breath and Laying On of Hands; according to masters of the tradition, IAO represents this Light Transmission, and specifically, how the Light Transmission passes between two people.

If we look into the parallel between IAO and the letters composing the Tetragrammaton we find how this transpires - all via the Body of Light, the Solar Body of the Resurrection.

IEOU holds something of the same meaning, indicating that the Continuum of Light Transmission is ever-present, continually ongoing; hence, this enlightenment is transpiring all of the time, we need only become aware of it and recognize it - then recognizing it, we must realize and embody it.

According to masters of the tradition, this is a Name of realizing and embodying.

Here we must say that IAO indicates that this Divine Illumination is not a fixed or static state, but one that is fluid and flowing, active and dynamic, an integral self-realization of the non-dual truth. You might say that this enlightenment experience is a very rapid flickering between clarity and confusion that produces a constant presence of awareness or illumination.

May all receive the Holy Spirit and be illuminated; amen.

Shabbat Shalom!
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Return to “The Gospel of Truth”