Hello!

Majere

Hello!

#1 Postby Majere » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:27 am

My name is Jason and I am 34 years old, married and father of two. I have been seeking the truth almost my enitre life. I was born and raised in a protestant evangelical church, nominally Reformed, but more "non-denomonatiol." Thus certain aspects of my early religious upbringing were rather fundamentalist in nature. I was very active in my church through high school and college.
Then 10 years ago I was converted to Catholicism by Mormon missionaries (long story). I joined the Catholic Church and was comfortable there for many years until persistant, nagging questions about the church heirarchyand the validity of certain doctrines led my to a search for greater spiritual truth. My faith seemed to be so closed minded, not willing to accept the true wonder and diversity of the world at large or of the great legacies of spiritual truth developed through the ancients and passed down to us.
I began by reading Thomas Merton and Karl Keating, then moved on the Eastern Orthodox views of Hesychasm and the Jesus Prayer. This led to delving into Taoism and Buhddist meditation, and especially the writings of Thich Naht Hahn. I have explored the Hindu ideas of Atman and Brahmin as well as the trinitarian concept of Brahma, Krishnu and Shiva. All of these ideas led me to see that Christianity does not in fact hold an exclusive claim to the truth... in fact it seems to me that the Western Church has sucked the mystical soul out of chritianity with scholasticism, rationalism and modernity.
Then I began looking at gnosticism, reading Elaine Pagels and Karen L. King. After alot of internet surfing and peicing together Gnostic teachings I developed my own theology based on Gnosticism without the Hebrew God as the demiurgic figure. I then picked up Tau Malachi's "Living Gnosis" and was astounded by the similarities to what I felt in my heart was the truth. Through its pages a fuller expression unfolded itself to me and I have decided to come here and seek the truth with you at Eccclesia Pistis Sophia.
It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell. ---Buddha

Karl

Welcome

#2 Postby Karl » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:14 pm

Welcome Jason. I think you will find this a very rich and engaging tradition and community. There are numerous resources available to you and I encourage you to make use of them all. You will come to understand that we are all here to help each other since we are all on the path together. I hope to hear from you again, soon.
Bendiciones and Shalom,
Karl

Return to “Welcome, Introductions & General Questions”