Mysticism of Bet

Elder Gideon
Site Admin

Mysticism of Bet

#1 Postby Elder Gideon » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:10 am

ב
Bet: House, Temple, Matrix of Creation, Wife, and the number 2.

Greetings Friends!

May mysteries simple and beautiful be drawn forth from within experience and contemplation of the second letter in the Hebrew alephbet: Bet.

Everywhere we find words in English translations of Hebrew and Christian scriptures suggesting House, Temple, Creation, Wife, and two, we're hearing a teaching of the essence of this holy letter. The examples are so numerous and profound, that only a sampling of verses will be possible here, which will certainly inspire your own memory of other verses linking to this mystery of Bet. I will concentrate on a few verses concerning the word two, with the hopes that verses of other words will follow.

Two

The number two will have many implications of what is first divided or separated and reunified again with conscious integrity. To become consciously aware of the primordial unity, represented by Aleph, one must enter the process of all apparent duality represented by Bet.

And God said, ‘Let there be a dome in the midst of the waters, and let it separate the waters from the waters.’ So God made the dome and separated the waters that were under the dome from the waters that were above the dome. And it was so. God called the dome Sky. And there was evening and there was morning, the second day. (Genesis 1:6-8 )

God made the two great lights—the greater light to rule the day and the lesser light to rule the night—and the stars. (Genesis 1.16)

And the Lord said to her,
‘Two nations are in your womb,
and two peoples born of you shall be divided;
one shall be stronger than the other,
the elder shall serve the younger.’ (Genesis 25.23)

Now Laban had two daughters; the name of the elder was Leah, and the name of the younger was Rachel.(Genesis 29.16)

See! The Lord has given you the sabbath, therefore on the sixth day he gives you food for two days; each of you stay where you are; do not leave your place on the seventh day.’ (Exodus 16.29)

Make one cherub at one end, and one cherub at the other; of one piece with the mercy-seat you shall make the cherubim at its two ends. (Exodus 25.19)

When God finished speaking with Moses on Mount Sinai, he gave him the two tablets of the covenant, tablets of stone, written with the finger of God.
(Exodus 31.18 )

‘No one can serve two masters; for a slave will either hate the one and love the other, or be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and wealth. (Matthew 6.24)

Again, truly I tell you, if two of you agree on earth about anything you ask, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven. (Matthew 18.19)

At that moment the curtain of the temple was torn in two, from top to bottom. The earth shook, and the rocks were split. (Matthew 27.51)

Suddenly they saw two men, Moses and Elijah, talking to him. (Luke 9.30)

[A]nd [Lady Mirya] saw two angels in white, sitting where the body of Jesus had been lying, one at the head and the other at the feet. (John 20.12)

Jesus said, "This heaven will pass away, and the one above it will pass away.
The dead are not alive, and the living will not die. During the days when you ate what is dead, you made it come alive. When you are in the light, what will you do? On the day when you were one, you became two. But when you become two, what will you do?" (Thomas, 11)

[...] Jesus said to them, "When you make the two into one, and when you make the inner like the outer and the outer like the inner, and the upper like the lower, and when you make male and female into a single one, so that the male will not be male nor the female be female, when you make eyes in place of an eye, a hand in place of a hand, a foot in place of a foot, an image in place of an image, then you will enter [the kingdom]." (Thomas, 22)

Jesus said, "A person cannot mount two horses or bend two bows.
And a slave cannot serve two masters, otherwise that slave will honor the one and offend the other ... "(Thomas, 47)

Jesus said, "If two make peace with each other in a single house, they will say to the mountain, 'Move from here!' and it will move." (Thomas, 48 )

How two is manifest in our experience begins when we were once a fertilized egg--a zygote--in the Bet of our mother's womb, and then divided. From this first division, our entire body formed, then self and other, the inside and the outside, heaven and earth.

May there be peace between two in one's house.

Elder Gideon+

Smultronplockaren

#2 Postby Smultronplockaren » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:07 am

Concerning the number two, I would like to quote the inscription of philosopher Immanuel Kant's tombstone:

"Two things fill the mind with ever-increasing admiration and awe - the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me."

Kant regarded this as a testimony that God exists both in heaven and inside ourselfes.

For a gnostic seeker, it is quite obvious that the Christ-spirit is something that indwells us, but I think it is important to remember that God also is above - we did not create ourselfes.
Pantheism is a beautiful idea, but in order to feel that "ever-increasing admiration and awe" Kant was talking about, I think it is important to hold in mind that the Lord also is above.
"When you've seen beyond yourself, then you may find, peace of mind is waiting there." - George Harrison

Elder Gideon
Site Admin

Simultaneity

#3 Postby Elder Gideon » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:10 pm

Greetings!

A lovely insight indeed! What indwells me is also far beyond me at one and the same time; neither a contradiction nor an inequality, these two very contexts of which you and so many others before have observed are themselves the point of intersection, overlap, and link: the Human One.

Genesis 1 narrates the unfolding of Creation from a very transcendental perspective, from ever-beyond, while Genesis 2 narrates the Creation from an immanent perspective, from the ground below. These two perspectives are simultaneous, co-arising as heaven and earth co-arise at the same time.

To observe this, to even be aware of this, is the image and likeness of Elohim by which we're made. That of Elohim that is Binah, united with Hokmah, all that is revealed by the concealed Keter, is transcendental and Supernal. That of Elohim that revealed as the Seven Sefirot of Construction below--Hesed to Malkut--is immanent and indwelling. Again, no contradiction, but a simultaneity.

Our lineage has long embraced this principle of transcendence and immanence by way of the sefirot described above, which just so happens to beautifully parallel what Meister Eckardt called Godhead and God: Here, Godhead is transcendent, reposed, and non-dual being, contemplated as the Supernal triad of the Tree of Life; God is immanent, moving, and becoming, contemplated as the Sefirot of Construction. What's most mysterious of all is the overlap between these contexts, Elohim, who is Creator and what is created, simultaneously.

May the sign of the Living Father be revealed within us: Movement and repose.

Shalom!

Elder Gideon+

malochim

Bet, the womb of creation

#4 Postby malochim » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:01 am

When I look at the shape of the letter Bet I see the stomach of a pregnant woman. And inside the letter/stomach is a little point which is the heart of the fetus growing inside. There are many teachings and beatiful mystical imagery connected with the woman of light and Christ as the child whom she gives birth to. And in fact what else is the creation but the temple and womb of God? It is for this purpose that we were created so that God's Shekinah could dwell in us.

"The complete glory of the princess is within" (Psalms 45:14)

Mary said, "Did God give birth to creation without a womb? No, indeed! For creation is in God's womb, and until it is complete it shall not emerge." (Gospel of Mary, Sophian oral tradition)

"Then he realized: "I, indeed, am this creation; for I have poured it forth from myself." In that way he became this creation. And verily, he who knows this becomes in this creation a creator." (Upanishads)

The word Shekinah is used also in biblical verses where the verb shakhan is used in relation to God. Shakhan means "to dwell" or "to pitch one's tent". During the exodus the tent was used as a temple, but what distinguishes a house or dwelling place from a temple?

The gematric difference between house (412) and temple (444) amount to 32 which is the numerical value of heart. In order for a house to become a temple it must be imbued/impregnated with the focal point of the heart. Our heart is our desires and by extension our energy body which radiates as our life display.

Man's heart (levavv) ends with a double bet, representing the two inclinations or conflicting desires. That of Nefesh Behamit and Nefesh Elokit. The desires of our beastly lower nature which is inherentily directed at the survival of the physical organism and are mainly outwardly oriented, and the desires of our human nature which is directed in-ward, God-ward. Both inclinations need to be brought into the service of the Heavenly Kingdom.

"Jesus said: Blessed is the lion which the man eats, and the lion will become man; and cursed is the man whom the lion eats, and the lion will become man."

As we entertain various thoughts, emotions and engage in work we link with different spiritual forces corresponding with the energy we move and generate through mentioned deeds. If we look at the letter Bet it can also represent a dwelling place, tent or house that is open to the left. Since Hebrews write from right to left, the left side represents the future. And we need to wait in anticipation of the holy Shekinah, abiding in joyful thoughts, enjoying life to the fullest, cleaving to the Holy Shekinah. Being "good hosts" to the positive energy, which in turn makes us the dwelling of the corresponding spiritual forces, so that the birds of the air come and lodge in our branches.

As we study and practice the spiritual living our minds expand and they become Batei Midrash, a sanctuary of study and learning, not only for us but for all manner of beings.

It is through experience and movement in the realms of Becoming that we grow, and Bet is that domain, the womb of God that we all have our Being in.

"A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions." (Oliver Wendell Holmes)

"Whatever is flexible and flowing will tend to grow, whatever is rigid and blocked will wither and die." (Tao Te Ching)

Blessings,
Jonas
”Only love has meaning, it raises the smallest action into infinity.” , Saint Maria Faustina Kowalska

Anna

Wife

#5 Postby Anna » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:22 pm

Blessings in the Light of Messiah!

Wife

Rabbi Munk tells us that “woman was separated from man to become…literally a helper against him—that is, a helper who, at times, must oppose him.” This suggests that a good partner helps us grow and change. As one minister used to say, “My wife and I are good sandpaper for each other.”

“He who finds a wife finds what is good and receives favor from the LORD.” Proverbs 18:21-23
“A wife of noble character is her husband’s crown, but a disgraceful wife is like decay in his bones.”
Proverbs 12:3-5
“Your wife will be like a fruitful vine within your house; your children will be like olive shoots around your table.” Psalm 128:2-4

A wife is a great blessing from Holy One. She can complement and enhance her husband, even prolonging his life, according to scientific studies. The two become more than the sum of their parts; they become one, a complete human, as it were. It would seem that the original intention of humanity is partnership, with each other and with God.

“To Adam he said, ‘Because you listened to your wife and ate fruit from the tree about which I commanded you, “You must not eat from it.” Cursed is the ground because of you; through painful toil you will eat food from it all the days of your life.’ Genesis 3:16-18

Here we see the result of not working as partners. Adam behaves irresponsibly by doing what his wife tells him to do without utilizing the power to think things through and discuss them. Perhaps he should have gotten a second opinion on this course of action instead of just doing without thinking.

Scriptures speak of an interesting benefit spouses may bring in dealing with physicality

“The wife does not have authority over her own body but yields it to her husband. In the same way, the husband does not have authority over his own body but yields it to his wife.” 1 Corinthians 7:3-5.

If spouses do not lay claim to their body but give it over to the other then are they not training in a type of non-attachment to the body? This is an interesting blessing that may help us let go of our identification with our physical manifestation. Offering our physicality to our spouse may help prepare us to offer our physicality to Holy One. As Tau Malachi has said,
“In the deepest states of prayer and meditation, hitbodedut, the soul is divested of physicality, and yet, all in a mystery, although there is an experience of consciousness beyond the body, at the same time there is an influx of greater consciousness into the body – the fruition of the Light Transmission.”

These are just a few contemplations on “wife” as found in scripture. I look forward to further thoughts on Bet, as Mother Spirit may inspire.

Shabbat Shalom!
Anna

Marion

Bet, the House of God

#6 Postby Marion » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:41 pm

Shalom!

Bet begins many words including “bereshit” -in the beginning.

Some other words Bet begins are:
-Beah (bet-aleph-heh) -entry to a building
-Beosh (bet-aleph-shin) -to stink
-Boho (bet-heh-vau) -emptiness, void
-Behal (bet-heh-lamed) -to tremble inwardly, to be alarmed or agitated, amazed or dismayed.
-Bazah (bet-zaiyn-aleph) -to disdain, despise or condemn
-Babel (bet-bet-lamed) -the tower
-Betach (bet-tet-chet) -to be confident, to trust, to be bold
-Beten (bet-tet-nun) -hollow belly or womb
-Besher (bet-samech-resh) -an unripe grape

There are several streams of contemplation that arose while studying Bet. The first was, while I was reading Rabbi Munk’s book on the letters. There was a theme, running through the whole chapter on Bet. It was a teaching to not contaminate what is pure. In Torah we read “serve no other gods before me.” That is, do not contaminate your worship of the Holy One with the worship of other deities. This commandment also seems to be saying, seek the true light, and follow the true light. Do not follow the evil inclination. We read in the Gospel of St. John where Yeshua says “Love one another as I have loved you. No one has greater love than this, that one gives their life for their friends.” This is an unwavering view of what it means to keep the continuum. Yeshua kept the continuum because he gave his all. He gave everything he had.

Bet seems to be speaking of that conviction to follow the Holy One with all of your mind, all of your heart and your whole body. This is related to something I have been contemplating for the last few weeks. How, we know in our hearts what is right. Not only that, but we know inwardly how to keep the continuum. If there is even a slight veering from that path, it usually creates a large chasm. As we grow and mature, what it means to keep the continuum changes. It gets more and more subtle as we go along the path.

We start in Torah-The Law, abiding by the commandments and keeping Shabbat. Studying and contemplating the Mysteries. This lays that foundation. When we are self-sustaining, we are no longer “doing” meditation etc... but actually Become the meditation, the contemplation, that is, we Embody it. It is no longer outside of us. Keeping the law allows us to do this. By law I don’t mean the 613 commandments outlined in the Torah. It is an inward law, it is faith in the Risen Messiah and Mother Spirit. And keeping this faith.

I was also wondering about this word that begins with Bet: Besher (bet-samech-resh) -an unripe grape. This made me think of a Midrash that I have heard before about the fruit that Adam and Eve ate. Basically, the teaching is that God commanded Adam and Eve not to eat of the tree of the knowlege of good and evil because the fruit was not yet ripe. Therefore, their sin was not the eating of the fruit per se, but that they ate non-kosher fruit i.e fruit that was unripe. There is a beautiful tradition about when one can eat a fruit outlined in the 19th chapter of Leviticus. The law says that for three years a new tree’s fruit shall be forbidden. But on the 4th year you shall give the whole harvest to the Lord. Then on the 5th year, you can eat the fruit. Therefore presumably, Adam and Eve did not give the harvest of the 4th year to Ha-Shem. This is a good teaching for us to remember. That whenever we have something, know it is from Ha-Shem, offer it up to the Divine Kingdom and to give praise and thanks. This can be applied to everything that we do, every aspect of our lives can be offered up in this way.

Now, there are 22 chapters in the Gospel of St. John, and 22 Chapters in Revelations. The Gospel of St. John begins with the creation of the universe. Therefore, masters of the tradition have said that the first chapter corresponds to Aleph, the second to Bet and so on. Revelations is about the destruction of the universe, and ends with the creation of a new one. Therefore, Masters of the Tradition have said that the first chapter of Revelations corresponds with Tau, the second with Shin and so on. If you look into the 2nd chapter of the The Gospel of St. John, and the 21st chapter of revelations, there are some intriguing mysteries with regards to Bet.

The 21st chapter of Revelations begins in this way:

“1Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more. 2And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. 3And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God. 4 He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away."

It goes on to describe this new earth and the twelve gates etc... What is most intrigung about this chapter is it says God will be IN people, therefore there is no temple in this new earth. The implication being, the people will be the temple. This is the gift that Yeshua brought. Before Yeshua, no one had ever achieved unification with the Holy One and remained on the earth. It seems that revelations if implying what Masters of the Tradition have said many times. That the second coming will mark the advent of enlightenment entering into a larger segment of humanity.

The 2nd chapter of the Gospel of St. John begins with the Wedding fest at Canna and ends with the cleansing of the Temple. We know that both scenarios deal with purification of the subtle body. In the wedding feast at Canna, I have heard that the water represents that descending force of the serpent power and the wine represents the ascending force of the serpent power. Yeshua tells them to fill up the 6 jars with water. Which by the way, is no easy task because it says that these jars are 20-30 gallons each! Then when the servants pour the water out, they find that it has been turned into fine wine. In this story, it is not Yeshua who “does” anything. He does not touch the jars at all. The servants are merely doing what he tells them to. They in turn, have the faith to follow through. This story seems to especially pertain to Bet because there are 6 centers in the subtle body proper. In the tradition, it is taught that the 6 jars correspond to these centers. Yeshua says to Mother Mary, “My time has not yet come” I am wondering if he tells them to fill 6 jars as a sign of the influx of consciousness into the body. That is, the movement of the descending force, sparking the ascent of the ascending force, which becomes joined in the heart. This is the first movement that corresponds to the realization of an Adept, if I am remembering correctly. This is before the cross, so there is no 7th jar yet, corresponding to the crown, perhaps because the ascending and descending forces have not yet taken repose in the center above the head? The play between Mary, Yeshua and the servants in this story seems to be parallel between the play between the Holy Spirit, a Tzaddik and his or her disciples. Because The Tzaddik is instructed by the Holy Spirit, and in turn, in turn instructs their disciple, and their disciple must have faith and follow the instruction.

May We Know Ourselves as a Dwelling Place For The Holy One, May we Look and See. Amen!

Blessings and Shalom!

Marion

Brother Brian

Bet

#7 Postby Brother Brian » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:15 am

Contemplations this morning on Bet. Being a house (small bet) within the larger house. Everything is inside God. Yeshua tells us to enter thy closet! Where and what is this closet? It is the heart, the sacred space inside all of us. We all have shrines and places at home where we go study, worship, pray, sacred ceremony, etc, Some have various images in this sacred place to bring us to envision and experience more of the energy of which these images portray.

It is a great blessing (bet) to know that all these images and energy we experience in these sacred spaces are things reflecting of what is inner, in our hearts! When we enter this inward shrine (any place or any time don’t matter where we are) we will be established! We are all – embracing or as what Yeshua proclaimed be ye perfect for your Father in heaven is perfect. We are perfect anytime we are living in this sacred space! This house within our temple. Bet

This sacred space inside us is available all times, this home within a house! All we need to do is remember this sacred place, know, be awake, just be, have attention to this sacred space within us. This light of this lamp can be turned on anytime if we will just but remember this sacred space inside our hearts where God, the saints and angels will be.

It reminds me of what makes a home a home? A place of love, relaxing, being, all embracing. No matter where we are at in body, out of body, wherever we are this home is within us. We just need to go home and be! When we live in this space within our hearts we can say rightly “I am the good shepherd” We will be in the right experience at the right time. Does not matter what is going on outwardly. When we are with others staying in this sacred space having openhearted coversation with those we are present with. This is what is pure!

Shalom

Brother Brian

Marriage

#8 Postby Brother Brian » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:44 am

On the day when you were one you became two. But when you become two, what will you do?

Elder Gideon quoted this to e many time the other night on mentoring of Bet. I spoke of the experience of separation that I have been experiencing and was given many things in that session to contemplate, things that is just simply beautiful to awaken me. Today I was studying Verse 11 of St Thomas and Verse 8. I ask myself about my hearts desire! What is my hearts inmost desire? What is the difference between lesser desire and greater desire? Coming to understand until I have (1) holy desire all of my energy will be scattered and fragmented as our blessed Tzaddik says in the book. When desire energy is fragmented the power of ignorance and forgetfulness will be strong.

Once contemplating on this Ma showed me that she is at work! Without the Shekinah how could anybody know without her revealing opening up this problem? Praise be to Ma for her patience with me and her grace. The Holy Spirit is at work!

I came upon verse 106 of Thomas which Yeshua said again “When you make the two into one, you shall become sons of man, and when you say, ‘Mountain, move away, it will move away. Malachi says on page 329 The inside and outside must be brought into integral union, the male and female aspects of ourselves made co-equal and complete in one another, the earthly and heavenly part of our soul united, all fragments of consciousness integrated with the indwelling Christ-self, our authentic individuality in God.

Hearing Elder Gideon quote me saying But when you become two, what will you do? and also the teachings from Gnostic Gospel of St. Thomas a scripture from Ephesians 5:30-32 came to mind.
30. For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.
31. For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.
32. This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.

When I was a fundlementalist I never could find true meaning to this verse. Praise Ma for something sparking today!

I am hearing that these “two” become one, “one” through marriage. I can look at my outward marriage to my wife. We have been married 22 years this year and it has had all its blessings, obstacles, trials, etc. To the outside world I am my name to them she is her name but through marriage and to everyone (State of Tennessee) we are One through the act of marriage.

This seems to be a something of an outward mystery that points to something that happens inwardly, marriage of man and wife outwardly pointing to the male and female aspects of our souls and of what happens internally to everyone. The blessed marriage of all aspects of our selves into one truly authentic Christ individual. Knowing that all aspects of ourselves are part of the (One). This blessed ceremony happens the day the Holy Spirit reveals this to us. The day one becomes Adonai Yeshua Messiah!

Malachi said above “The inside and outside must be brought into integral union, the male and female aspects of ourselves made co-equal and complete in one another, the earthly and heavenly part of our soul united, I am hearing a holy marriage of all aspects of the self into one holy being, even the selves we don’t like, the selves that give problems, the self that wants self gratification, all parts of self intergrated and becoming married to the Christ-self. In verse 33 of the same passage in Ephesians it says Neverthless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself: and the wife see that she reverence her husband. It feels like this is the lower aspect of self-being submissive to the Christ-self. Would appreciate any corrections or what more can be said!

I would like to further add something else that is part of this for me as well. The aspects of ourselves that feels like it is not part of God. It could be that the ego thinks it has a dark little corner somewhere were it can get away or the same I think when one feels like they are just away or separated from God. John 3:20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light; lest his deeds should be reproved. (21) but he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, thay they are wrought in God.

All this it brought to Light through the marriage. It would seem after the marriage takes place we can no longer experience those dark corners where we think we can hide, or feeling we are not in God's presence. We are inside Bet. As Elder Gideon told me that they are nowhere to run or go! We will always be inside Bet, Binah!

Shalom

Return to “Gematria: The Play of Holy Letters & Numbers”