Saying 105

Rama

Saying 105

#1 Postby Rama » Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:39 pm

Hello Malachi,

I've been operating under the assumption that "the two that become one" means internal union of left-right, male-female, ida-pingala, but Saying 105: "He who knows the Father and the Mother will be called the son of the harlot" confuses me on this point. How do you interpet this saying? Thanks.

Love and Blessings,

Rama

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Spiritual Authenticity

#2 Postby Tau Malachi » Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:41 pm

Greetings Rama!

There are many levels at which this saying may be interpreted. As I mention in The Gnostic Gospel of St. Thomas here the point seems to be spiritual legitimacy. For example, scholars today, for the most part, would not accept living mystics or gnostics, but would propose they know more about Gnosticism than the Gnostic practitioner does; likewise, religious institutions would propose Gnostics are heretics and that they know nothing of God - hence that a mystic or gnostic is often viewed as "illegitimate" or the "son of a harlot." Those lead by the Great Spirit are rarely accepted by peoples of conventional wisdom or the establishments of the unenlightened society - they are often outsiders to the mainstream and their authenticity is sorely questioned.

Perhaps this might help give some starting point for a contemplation of this saying...

Blessings & shalom!
Tau Malachi
Sophia Fellowship
Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Coop

#3 Postby Coop » Sat Nov 27, 2004 5:37 pm

Greetings!

This logion reminds me in general about the influence of the demiurgos and archons upon people's actions, blinding us to truth, twisting our behavior and pointing us away from the light and toward darkness. Murdering what's precious, scoffing at good works, cheating others so we might 'gain' -- while society cheers. If someone tells the truth, they will be maligned; if someone cheats, they are rewarded.

But even this "insult" used to deride a child of light ... calling one's mother a harlot: as if the innate worth of any person, a prostitute in this case, deserves to be maligned. Even uttering such an insult shows such a person is turned from the truth.

And yet, the people who would make this insult are so under the spell of society and the demiurgos, they are sometimes, i'm guessing, practically unconscious to what they are doing. These people are also from the light, but unaware of it, or unwilling to turn from the familiar and comfortable darkness because they fear the same judgment they met out against others.

But I also wonder ... doesn't everybody suffer pangs of conscience when they deride others? Not everyone heeds it, but what is the source of that feeling? Is it a higher or inner aspect of themselves, saddened by what it witnesses?

I also remember an interesting online discourse we had about this verse, wherein in the Father, unknowable, and the Mother, accepting and embracing all, are aptly described in the above logion.

Coop
"The Universe is a big place -- perhaps the biggest." -- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

The Mother Spirit

#4 Postby Tau Malachi » Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:03 pm

Greetings Coop!

I enjoyed your comments very much.

Yes, indeed, this speaks of the dominion of the demiurgos and archons - the influence of cosmic ignorance and the distortions in consciousness on account of it - it is so very easy to become intoxicated and confused here; hence, to forget who our Father and Mother are, and thus who we are.

The mention of the Father and Mother is interesting in this saying, for they imply the Child of Light, Christos. We could say, this is the Living Father, the nameless and unknowable, and this is the Holy Spirit, the true Virgin Mother who gives birth to the Christos in us - those of whom Lord Yeshua is speaking are Christ-bearers, like himself; his twins, if you will.

What is most interesting is that the Holy Spirit anoints whom she wills to anoint, and that there can be not set rule made for whom, where or when she may anoint - anyone who truly becomes open and sensitive to the Mother Spirit receives her blessing, the anointing with the Light from above which invokes the Light from within us. Truly, she works in strange and mysterious ways and will choose whoever she chooses - St. Paul's story seems to perfectly reflect this, for one who was formerly an enemy was chosen by the Anointed and Mother Spirit as an apostle of Light.

The idea of a harlot, as you say, also reflects a certain truth of the Holy Spirit, for she secretly labors in nature, is the "light of heaven" and "fire of hell," and sustains all life - she gives herself to everyone, hence the idea of the "whore." Indeed! She labors for the spiritual education of all souls, the enlightenment and liberation of all souls.

One cannot help but recall Lord Yeshua's blessing on those who are persecuted, and likewise remember the associated teaching that all persecution is, first and foremost, an inner persecution we inflict upon ourselves - the judgment at play in our own mind and heart. For example, if someone calls me "illigitimate" spiritually speaking the only power they can have is my own insecurity and self-doubt. This saying seems to remind us of this important truth. After all, we cannot very well entertain the Great Work while worrying about what others might think or say of us!

Blessings & shalom! :)
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Rebekah

#5 Postby Rebekah » Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:33 pm

Shalom!

As you mentioned, Malachi, personal gnosis of the Heavenly Father and Mother Spirit have certainly been considered heretical by the Church; I read "son of a harlot" as "heretic".

Blessings!
Rebekah
Sophia Fellowship
O.S.G.

lleyr

#6 Postby lleyr » Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:57 pm

Greetings!

In my circle last week we were discussing this verse. It was difficult for some of the participants to see the Mother Spirit as a Harlot until we talked about Malachi's statement that the Mother Spirit is both Virgin and Harlot (because experiencing her is forever new, but she does not restrict who she interacts with based on the same ideals as the religious establishment).

I find this contemplation helpful.

Blessings, Mark

elelethelijah

#7 Postby elelethelijah » Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:55 pm

Hi! :)

I just wanted to comment on the first part, although it may not be the intention of the post, then I'll comment on the second part from there.

Because most people live under the influence of Cosmic Ignorance, they maintain and foster the fear of thier sense of individual indentity is constantly at stake, which they percieve to be reality. Then they project that fear to things around them, creating sense of individualized power over those things they percieve to be somehow weaker. This is why most people, being under the influence of the demiurge, see things as superior/inferior (the white man is superior to the black one; the man is superior to the woman; the heterosexual is superior to the homosexual; the human is superior to the animal.) It's when we understand that, number one, the self is in fact not reality, and number two, that the understanding that it isn't reality is something to be feared, that we naturally begin to see everything as inherently interconnected and the things we use to describe things (male/female, outside/inside, etc.) begin to disappear. That's what it means by making the two one.

People who realize this and then share it with those who don't, will experience something of a retaliation from those who still maintain that fear because of Ignorance; this can be a physical or verbal retaliation. Those of us who understanad what Yeshua said will be called a "harlot" by those who don't. Consider how many times Yeshua was called a blasphemer by the Parisees.

If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before it hated you. If you were of the world, the world would love its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you
--John 15:19

Sorry if I said anything previously mentioned. hehe.
Much Love & God Bless,

Jeremy

Return to “Gospel of St. Thomas”