Can one obtain Gnosis just by reading, studying and praying?

Moderator: Brother Christopher

Heavymetalgamer

Can one obtain Gnosis just by reading, studying and praying?

#1 Postby Heavymetalgamer » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:50 pm

Greetings and Shalom!

I am not sure how to "obtain" Gnosis/spiritual enlightenment/Christ Consciousness or whatever it is you wanna call it. But I do love reading books, even though I'm a slow reader and still reading the Nag Hammadi scriptures and have read "The Living Gnosis" before, I plan on reading it again. I'm not one for meditation or stuff like that, I don't even know how to meditate really. But as I said before, I do love reading, I'm still a "baby" when it comes to Gnosticism before as I said in another thread and I know I have a lot to learn. But can I become enlightened just by reading the Nag Hammadi scriptures and other Gnostic books? And also what about Gnostic prayers and such, would repeated repetition of prayers be a good thing for me as well? Would love to hear some feedback :).

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Re: Can one obtain Gnosis just by reading, studying and pray

#2 Postby Tau Malachi » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:01 pm

Greetings and blessings in the Holy Light of the Messiah!

This is a good question.

Study and contemplation of mystical teachings, joined with daily prayer, is a good beginning.

Consider this. When we pray, when we take up an internal dialogue with God, as much as speaking with God, do we not also abide in silence, listening to the Spirit of God speak in our heart? Isn’t any good conversation a play of speaking and listening, and so also when we are conversing with God, or praying? When we are silent, and we are listening in prayer, this is a form of meditation, and if we learn the art of deep heartfelt and contemplative prayer, so our periods of listening, or meditation in prayer, will naturally deepen.

Meditation is very simple friend: Just be, awake and alert in what’s happening, aware of the Living Presence of the One within and all around you, and abide in communion with the Infinite One; in this there is peace and joy, and deep satisfaction. Who does not desire this?

This is an innate part of mystical prayer, merging our mind with the Mind of Christ, our heart with the Sacred Heart of Christ, and our body with the Living Body of Christ.

As much as thinking and talking all of the time, we need to learn to silence the mind, quiet the vital, and listen and hear, and look and see; this is meditation.

When our prayer life deepens we naturally come to meditation, an intimate communion with the One – it is in this that True Gnosis dawns, for learning to go within and live within, and going deeper still, we will experience nearness to Christ and God, and eventually, perhaps experience oneness.

In this regard, meditation is essential, and is key, but it is not separate from prayer.

Thus, in our lineage, there is one word for secluded prayer and meditation, hitbodedut. There are some writings on this subject in the “Gnostic Path” forum that might interest you.

Study and contemplation are good, but we wish to join our head with the intelligence of our heart, and so with contemplation, we pray and meditate, and worship God in spirit and truth.

The Gnostic Path, by its nature, is a mystical spirituality – a spirituality of direct experience; therefore, it depends upon the cultivation of our interior life – prayer and meditation, or true communion with the One. Gnosis is acquired through direct spiritual and mystical experience, and therefore something more the reading and studying books.

We can read about mystics, or we can live as mystics, but reading about them and living as them are two very different things.

If we wish to consider this, there are many brilliant intellectuals, who are great academic scholars, and who engage in lifelong reading and study of the literature of mystics, but few, if any, have entered into the mystical experience, let alone become enlightened beings. There must be something more involved than reading and study, and intellectual contemplation; there needs to be the Holy Light and Spirit of God, and the intelligent intuition of the heart.

You see, Gnostic Christians are mystics, and mystics are very zealous, passionate lovers of God; through a contemplative life, and prayer and meditation, they engage in their love-play, and so enter into experiences of closeness to God and oneness with God – this is their delight, and to them it is life. Who would want to withhold themselves from the most intimate embrace of their Beloved, the Infinite One?

So we pray, and we meditate – experiencing nearness, we desire something more intimate!

All in due season, though, all as God wills it! Amen.

Peace be with you!
Tau Malachi
Sophia Fellowship
Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Heavymetalgamer

#3 Postby Heavymetalgamer » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:19 pm

Shalom!

Thanks for the reply, I guess I have a lot to learn. I do desire something intimate, I remember when I was in the RCIA process in being initiated into the Catholic Church, I would sometimes experience moments of intense joy, I remember leaving mass one day and experienced that joy and I'm like dang I wish I could have this joy and deep peace and keep it forever, but sadly after I joined and became a member I went back to being a "normal" person. I literally felt like my soul was on fire, like I was high on the Divine and now I desire to have that same fire back and my heart is now drawn to Gnosticism. I would love to be able to just flip that switch on whenever I needed something to help me get through the day or the week or just feel that intimacy I do desire. Now I wonder since my heart is guiding me to Gnosticism that it's something that God is guiding me to to get a deeper understanding of Him and how to obtain the joy and peace I'm looking for.

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

#4 Postby Tau Malachi » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:11 pm

Greetings and blessings in the Holy Light of the Messiah, the Anointed of God!

That sounds like a very powerful spiritual experience the Holy Spirit gifted to you, one to be cherished and remembered, for it is a hint of the delight of heaven and the angels, and there are many in this life that have never been touched by the Spirit of God in that way. Whatever spiritual and mystical experiences are gifted to us by the Spirit of God, it is good to give praise and thanks, and rejoice in them, and remember them, and let them bolster our faith, hope and love in Christ.

There is something of an open secret, though, that I’m inclined to share. When we are touched by the Holy Spirit and gifted such an experience, it is as though God has set a new desire in our heart, revealing a spiritual possibility so that we might know to pray and meditate, and engage in passionate devotion, seeking to realize that greater possibility, the greater gift that God intends for us. When the experience passes, and we return to a more ordinary state of consciousness, it is as though, along with a new desire, God also sets into us a barrier that we need to overcome in order to fulfill the new desire. Essentially, the barrier allows us to generate greater desire, passionate yearning, for the fulfillment of the spiritual possibility that has been revealed to us, and once the passion of yearning waxes strong, and consumes us, so the barrier is overcome and the spiritual possibility becomes realized. Basically speaking, such experiences are empowerments for a conscious evolution, a progress in the Gospel, so that we might seek for it, yearn for it, and invoke it and receive it from God.

Whatever might be revealed at the outset, there is much more that God intends to gift to us – God wishes to gift to us all the Divine Attributes, and yet more, God wishes to gift to us Godself; hence, the Divine Incarnation.

There is much to be said of the spiritual power of hope and passionate yearning. The passion of yearning, desiring the Beloved itself can be a great joy, and when the Spirit of God takes up our soul and draws us closer to God, so the passion for greater closeness grows and the joy increases, and a passionate yearning for unification with Christ in God is kindled in us.

It is all about a growing passion, yearning, for nearness and union, but from an awareness of fullness, in faith hope and love, and not a delusion of lack; hence, in complete confidence that God will answer our prayers and fulfill our inmost heart’s desire, all as is promised to us in Christ.

There is a secret mystery to be shared concerning the World to Come, or true kingdom of heaven. Those who have not tasted of it, and who have not glimpsed it, and have not experienced something of it, think of in a very fixed or static way, like a state of stasis for all eternity; but nothing could be further from the truth or reality of heaven. You see, the joy of the saints or souls in heaven, is an unquenchable thirst for greater nearness and intimacy of union with the Infinite One, for the Holy One, is the Infinite, or With-Out-End, and there is no end to the realization of nearness and union with the One, Yahweh Elohim, Shaddai.

This passionate yearning in heaven, though, is free from the delusion of lack, or illusion of separation, and therefore there is perfect peace and perfect joy in it – the delights of eternal life. If we can generate this passionate yearning in this life, and realize the pure joy in passionate yearning itself, so while as yet in this world we experience something of the kingdom of heaven, or the World-That-Is-Coming.

Here we may speak an open secret: Our true joy is not in the object of our desire, but it is in the passion of desiring when desire is free from self-grasping, attachment and aversion. This is true of objects of desire on earth and in heaven.

Here, of course, we have indicated the way of true divine rapture!

O Adonai Messiah, please kindle Your Divine Passion, Your Love, in us, and let it carry our soul into You, Atoh. Amen.

Messiah Shalom!
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

PiXie-Jewels

#5 Postby PiXie-Jewels » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:52 pm

I have just read this thread from 2014 & think it is such a helpful one for other new members .
Thank you Tau Malachi for your articulate wisdom

Blessings & Warmth,
Jewels

Shellie

#6 Postby Shellie » Fri May 15, 2015 1:25 pm

Thank you for these beautiful teachings... This was very helpful to me today. I also experience times when I feel so close to God it is if I am walking in bliss. And then there are times when God feels so far way. I feel like a small child waiting for an absent parent, knowing the parent will return, but longing to be near them again.

My profession is teaching yoga and in yoga and the medical science called Ayurveda there is a concept called Ritucharya. In a nutshell, this means ritual or rhythms of the day/week/year. It is a way of finding what is sacred in every moment, and the ritualistic nature can be very helpful during the times when I get caught up in mundane things. Sometimes I don't feel like following the sacred rituals, but it is during those times I most need them because they are constant reminders that "this too will pass" and I will soon feel near to God once more!

Maybe someone else will find this helpful, too. <3

In love and peace,
Shellie

PS... This is my first post and I am so happy to be here! :D

Elder Gideon
Site Admin

Intentional Rhthyms

#7 Postby Elder Gideon » Sat May 16, 2015 8:21 am

Shalom Shellie:

You've jumped right in and are saying great insights here and elsewhere. Thank you and welcome to our community. I desire that it helps you in your journey.

Keeping intended rhythms by day, week, lunar cycle, season, and year, have all become more important to me as well. Rhythms I keep with some consistency are my only means of integrating and processing as I move so swiftly through so many varied contexts, demographics, and interactions ranging between peaceful, wrathful, and blissful.

The foundation for me and others in this community is Shabbat, a weekly intention of retreat from the ordinary. Shabbat simply means 'rest' or 'pause' and its metaphysics mirror the days of Creation narrated in Genesis. For some, Shabbat's a morning, others, a half-day, for others yet, it's a full day off every week to reflect on what transpired the last six days. I take in what went well and offer it to God. I admit to what could have gone differently and more productively and confess that to God, wishing to return-repent towards the greater truth of who I and another really are as we are in God. The rest from 'work' for me is resting from problem solving. Shabbat is ultimately resting not only from the ordinary, but in who and what one already is: complete, whole, and lacking nothing. On Shabbat, there are no problems to solve.

Over some months and years of this simple, weekly rhythm, much more spiritual, intellectual, emotional, and physical well-being and progress naturally unfolds. It's miraculous and all the more radical in my American culture which scoffs in disbelief that it's even possible, let alone productive. I've been called a workaholic and I am living proof that the rhythm of Shabbat gets more done and far better than I could have imagined.

There are many other rhythms we keep as well, like the lunar, seasonal, and annual cycles, which ironically depend on the rhythm of Shabbat.

Great meeting you, sister. I'll look forward to more!

Elder Gideon

Lorikaflower

Re: Can one obtain Gnosis just by reading, studying and praying?

#8 Postby Lorikaflower » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:07 am

Big shy Greetings,
I am so glad I found this thread. Months ago I was meditating and running healing energy to my heart when i found myself in a peaceful vortex/space I saw the most beautiful light and beings. It was crystal clear the image in my mind the beings were as real as anything else in the sensory physical world . It was blissful. then I started meditating everyday, reading and searching to connect back to this beautiful experience. After this experience my healing practice has become more spiritual. Though my clients can connect with sacred Light and I cry for joy with them , Alas I remain only a channel for this experience but not a participant but the beautiful light experience remains something that fuels my passion to find it again. I enjoyed this thread because it touches on my frustration but it also gives me hope and best of all deeper understanding to make it okay for me to view my experience as a door that opened but in truth am more accepting that where I am now is a truthful indicator that I need to keep on trekking and falling inlove with The most Sacred Name. And if it happens again wonderful ! If not am still gifted with a blessing i get to channel to others in work I really love to do.
Namaste
LorikaFlower

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

#9 Postby Tau Malachi » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:31 am

Greetings and blessings to you in the Holy Light of Messiah Yeshua!

Welcome to our online community.

First I’m inclined to share that very often when engaging in spiritual works for others, with others, abiding in the Divine Presence, the Holy Shekinah, Holy Spirit, and focused upon others, the sense of self vanishes, and so along with it our own personal, individual experience, as the Divine Presence moves with, in and through us, taking us up, as it were, in the divine action of blessing and empowering others, or healing and such. In such movements of the Spirit of God the experience of those we are working with is ‘our’ experience, and it might be a distraction or obstruction if we were to fall into our own visionary experience in the surface consciousness. Truly in such moments it is not about us, but it is about the movement of the Spirit of God, and God’s mercy, God’s grace for people. Praise God!

If we study and contemplate the Holy Scriptures, looking for example at the stories of the patriarchs and matriarchs, through their lives they sojourned with the Lord, Yahweh, Adonai, and no doubt had many more experiences with the Divine Presence than appear in their stories, and likely reached an experience of abiding in the Divine Presence, and an awareness of nearness and oneness with the Divine Presence, Yet, their peak experiences of revelation, the more radical unveilings and self-disclosures of God Most High, were relatively few and far between throughout their lives; but it was enough for them, and they labored in their lives for the full integration and realization of their knowledge of God, and they lived in between those experiences according to their faith and knowledge of God, and their love of the Lord, walking with God and in God, knowing God was with them. Such is the way with all of the prophets and apostles of God, the True Light, and so it is to be with us as we follow in their way, and more so the way of the Messiah.

Naturally, though, we do pray for the ongoing unveiling and self-disclosure of God to us, and for the bestowal of greater states and stations, greater spiritual gifts, and a greater realization of the holy soul that is within us; and we do labor to live according to the truth and light that has been revealed to us, seeking to integrate, realize and embody that truth and light, as God wills and has called us to do. Yet, as we invoke and pray and meditate and engage in sacred ceremony, we do not do so for the sake of ‘inner states,’ but rather in the love of the Lord our God, in pure devotion, in the worship of God in spirit and truth. Indeed, for we know that God will bless us as God wills, when God wills, how God wills, and as for us we learn to wait upon the Spirit of the Lord, placing our hope and trust completely in God Most High, El Elyon.

In the Holy Spirit I can share with you sister that God has further blessings, further unveilings and self-disclosures in store for you; soon enough, no doubt, more will be revealed by the Holy Spirit and angels, all as God wills and ordains.

May God bless you and keep you, and may the Holy Spirit lead you in the Way! Amen.

Shalom Aleichem!
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Lorikaflower

#10 Postby Lorikaflower » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:31 am

Warm Greetings Tau Malachi.
Thank You so much! I am irrevocably changed beyond measure by the compassion and wisdom in your response. Thank you for placing my experience in a context that is a series of lessons am able to understand and seek redirection and inspiration from. Thank You.
Shalom
Lorika

Return to “Gnosis and Gnosticism”