Iftar Ghazal

Elder Gideon
Site Admin

Iftar Ghazal

#1 Postby Elder Gideon » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:37 am

Shalom Everyone:

I'm very grateful for the opportunity of a literary magazine Heart and Humanity choosing two poems "Iftar Ghazal" and "Quality of Life" from my MFA manuscript. "Iftar Ghazal" is most appropriate for this community, as it is a true story of my student-teacher relationship with an Iraqi student who has taught me so much about Muslim experience in America. "Iftar" is the evening meal that breaks fast during Ramadan; "Ghazal" is an ancient Arabic and Persian poetry form that inquires mystically into grief or love while maintaining the same end rhyme.

Despite the racial and religious bigotry in our nation that says otherwise, he and all my Muslim students open my heart to what Islam really looks, sounds, and feels like. I cherish them deeply.

I ask for your prayers that my manuscript gets picked up by a publisher, all in God's time.

Elder Gideon

Martina

Re: Iftar Ghazal

#2 Postby Martina » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:26 am

Shalom Elder Gideon!

I very much resonate with the two poems, thinking of the many young Muslim refugees that live in our country too and in so many others! The poems are so beautiful and I pray that your manuscript will be published soon.
Martina

Return to “Announcements”